Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

When I test drove the base M6s a few weeks ago, I noticed the driver's side rear view mirror was distorted? It made me feel dizzy looking at it. Is it a defect? Or as the dealer usually said, "it's normal, they all do that."

Thanks,
Peter

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Distorted rear view mirror?

Even for the driver side?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I would think so. Yes. It warns you in the manual that objects may apear further away then they really are.

·
Registered
322 Posts

It's good so you can see into blind spots that you usually wouldn't see in a head-turn :)

The only distortion I get tho, is when the bose stereo is DOOF DOOF DOOF -ing loud and it makes all my mirrors vibrate ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I believe it's always the mirror on the left hand side of the car that's wide angle. So it depends on where you are from whether it's your driver's or passenger's side mirror. That's what the manual says anyway.

Kind of strange (it's usually the passenger's side mirror that's wide angle) but you get used to it. It really is very good at showing objects in that blind spot.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Distorted rear view mirror?'

Originally posted by [email protected]

arh thats not good~ so u cant really judge the distance properly when u want to change lane[/b]
ALL cars' rearview mirrors does this. Otherwise you wouldn't see s*it. (Or that's exactly what you'd see... :sarc).

It's a perfect mirror.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Wide Angle?? In America the only wide angle mirrors are cheap aftermarket ones you have to velcro to your real mirror, unless you have a work truck. The mirrors here definitely leave a huge blind spot on the drivers side, no amount of adjusting will properly cover the blind spot and the traffic in the other lane. If I have not kept up with where the cars around me are, I usually have to glance back through the back passenger window just to make sure no car is there.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

The 6's mirrors I belive are normal the first inner ~15cm. Then there is a dotted line and outside of that it's wide angle... If I recall correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Distorted rear view mirror?'

I noticed the same thing. I'll have to take a closer look on the next test drive to see about being normal for 1st 15cm then wideangle for the rest.

I suppose I could get used to it, but would prefer a CLEAR partial view rather than a distorted whole view. What's the point of making it wideangle if it's distored so you can't tell where other vehicles really are?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

It's a smart and safe solution. Not only will you get used to it, you will like it.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

Only my current rodeo, I put the extra little wide angle mirros on the bottom corners or my wing mirrors, helps a lot, even though i usually just end up leaning foward to look furhter to the side using my mirror, that works well too :)

·
Registered
319 Posts

If people correctly adjusted their mirrors, so that there was no overlap between the rear view inside, and the side mirrors, that wide-angle stuff would be almost unnecessary. But, most people line up the outside mirrors so they can see a little bit of their car, which is overlapping a bunch of what you already see with the rear-view mirror.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Distorted rear view mirror?

Wrong.

There is an angle (about from the car's gravity centre through the C-pillar) that never is covered using non-wideangle mirrors.

It's called the dead angle. Dead as in unvisible. Or dead as in how you become if there's a truck in it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Distorted rear view mirror?

I thought it was called a blind spot ;)

Anyway, Steve's right. You can't see a car in your blind spot/dead angle unless you adjust your side view mirrors (henceforth to be refered to as SVM's) to show it. Wide angle SVM's makes it easier to do this without giving up visibility of what's coming up on you, not just who's hanging out in your blind spot. Who wants to check 4 (exageration, of course) different mirrors to make a simple lane change? Not me. I appreciate that my SVM's give me the full view without having to turn my head around, and check my rear view mirror too.

Joe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts