Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would be very surprised if a trip mileage calculator used the fuel tank gage to supply fuel use rate data, for the reason mentioned above: it's highly inaccurate! The computer probably has more accurate fuel flow information already; it needs this to supply fuel at the necessary rate. I doubt that more sensors are requred to accomplish this function.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Has there been any new developments on this???

·
Registered
302 Posts
Check with out brethren in Japan and Europe. They most likley have the display that reads this info in use. Maybe on the 2.0t Desil. Maybe our Ausi counterparts have access to this info.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Fuel economy is calculated by interpreting readings from the ECU, such as vehicle speed, throttle position, MAF sensor, engine load, etc.

There's a cool device called a Scan-Gauge that plugs into the OBDII port under the dashboard. It monitors lots of the sensors that the computer reads, and it also calculates instantaneous MPG, average MPG, tank to empty, miles to empty, trip distance, etc. It also can display and reset "check-engine-light" codes.

It's kind of large and not very attractive, though. I haven't attached it to my new MS6 yet, but it works great in my 97 Pathfinder. I probably wouldn't want to place it permanently on my MS6 dash, but it might be nice to use temporarily to calculate fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
It might not work on the 6 with the new CAN system and all.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just went out and hooked up the Scan-Gauge to my Speed6, and it worked! The only setting it didn't display was fuel pressure.

Now I just have to program it to see how accurate it is. I'm not sure it's designed for turbo applications; I just e-mailed the manufacturer about this.

·
Registered
305 Posts
How sad is it that I'm looking at this thing, thinking "It's pretty small, maybe I can rip it out of it's housing and do a clean install where the ashtray/cig lighter is." I mean, it's not like I smoke or anything.

They say it's 5.2" wide by 2.7" high by 2.1" deep. I think that might fit. Have to do some measuring tomorrow.

But, the big question is: is knowing your MPG, tank to empty, miles to empty, etc worth $130?

·
Registered
489 Posts
How sad is it that I'm looking at this thing, thinking "It's pretty small, maybe I can rip it out of it's housing and do a clean install where the ashtray/cig lighter is." I mean, it's not like I smoke or anything.

They say it's 5.2" wide by 2.7" high by 2.1" deep. I think that might fit. Have to do some measuring tomorrow.

But, the big question is: is knowing your MPG, tank to empty, miles to empty, etc worth $130?
[/b]
It's bigger than you think. Here's a pic of it installed in my Nissan:

Basic OBDII code-readers cost between $50-$100. And this thing not that much pricier, considering it reads and resets CEL codes and gives you real-time feedback on the ECU sensors. I'm gonna see how well it works on my Speed6 today. (It might even give me a quasi-boost reading!)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Not sure if you have seen this yet, but I've found a bit of info on the calculation and display, but unfortunately nothing on wiring.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I tried the Scan-Gauge in the MS6 on my drive to work this morning. I found out that the MAP gauge reports up to 30psi! That's in agreement with the reported numbers of about 15psi of boost. (Atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7psi) It's neat to see what amount of throttle input induces boost, and how fast it comes in.

The coolant temp hovers right around 190°F, and the intake air temp got up to 80°F (with ambient temp at about 55°F).

Interestingly, timing actually advances to -2° BTDC under full throttle at ~3000rpm.

The Scan-Gauge will probably fit quite nicely in the storage bin above the AC vents. (It lights up orange-red, too!)

At any rate, I'm gonna spend some time playing with it some more over the next few days/weeks to see how well it calculates MPG.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's bigger than you think. Here's a pic of it installed in my Nissan:

[/b]
Yeah, that's why I would have to see if most of the box is empty space or if it actually is that big inside. I'm fine with having to change the location of the "Home" button if I had to cut stuff off the face. But, I don't think that I want to know my gas stats that much.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah, that's why I would have to see if most of the box is empty space or if it actually is that big inside.[/b]
I've opened up the case before to take a look at the guts. The circuit board is kinda big. I'm sure the device can be modded for a totally custom installation, but the expense would be considerable.

I'll try to take some pics of the inside.

·
Registered
375 Posts
so whats the deal with the display unit?

i dont knwo if it helps but i have 4 buttons on my u.s 03 6i i could take it apart and get pictures of it for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So can some one post pics of it cause the ones that were posted are all dead links now... and the ones of the guts would be great too... I would like to get this if it is not going to be to gaudy...

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
even mazda3 has this, it's called a trip computer. Volvo has this as an option as early as early 80's.

Why does the US like to rip out and decontent the cars when it's produced there?

41 - 60 of 87 Posts