Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be completely wrong about this because it's been over a month ago since I noticed this, but...

If you shine a light over the display that shows the radio channel, temperature, etc., it looks like there is an option for seeing the miles per gallon (I think it says MPG on there). Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing how to enable this feature/view. Is it included on non-domestic models? Am I just talking out of my ass? Enlighten me!

By the way this is on a 2003 6S.

·
Registered
756 Posts
ive been trying to figure out how to use it. In my car if you press the SET button below the CLOCK button all the info comes up but there is just 4 dashes, no number.
It goes like this. Press SET - Consum- Press SET Consum Avg - Press SET Consom left(or something like that).

·
Registered
510 Posts
just read the manual on this. all the mazda 6's are capable of calculating distance to empty/avg fuel consumed. This function is actually determined in the instrument clusters computer. The signal is then taken from pins 2T and 2X (think those are right, have to look it up again) from the cluster computer and then sent on over to the lcd for display. The display has to have a "Info" button in order to view and to switch between the 4 modes of fuel analysis.

Anyways, I'm going to rip my dash apart this weekend because I found some other things I want to try with the LCD that are installed by default, just neutered in some way. (like being able to switch between true in cabin temperature and outside temps and actual water temperature)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by HyTeK@Jun 24 2005, 12:57 AM
just read the manual on this. all the mazda 6's are capable of calculating distance to empty/avg fuel consumed. This function is actually determined in the instrument clusters computer. The signal is then taken from pins 2T and 2X (think those are right, have to look it up again) from the cluster computer and then sent on over to the lcd for display. The display has to have a "Info" button in order to view and to switch between the 4 modes of fuel analysis. Also there IS in fact 2 different LCD's. The UK version displays miles, and NON-UK versions have k/m (which that makes no sense at all, but I never did understand engineers lol  :slap: )

Anyways, I'm going to rip my dash apart this weekend because I found some other things I want to try with the LCD that are installed by default, just neutered in some way. (like being able to switch between true in cabin temperature and outside temps and actual water temperature)
[snapback]438948[/snapback]​
I knew I wasn't crazy.. so this raises the question: why would Mazda build the functionality but leave out the button? I think I remember seeing this button in pics of the Mazdaspeed 6.

·
Registered
510 Posts
most of the euro/jdm versions have the info button, (uk also) and they are able to use the fuel consumption option. If I was reading it right, all 6's/atenza's have the option built into the instrument clusters computer. Which after that point I know which wires to look at to see if they head out to the LCD. the only problem is the circuit board that the LCD is mated with behind the plastic. if they use the same board, and just took off a few buttons and switched the faceplate, we may all be in luck.

that is why I am going to tear the dash out for. to take a look at the lcd board and see if there are any circuits where switches could go, and see what I can enable reroute to get working.

(same as the temperature reading, there are 5-6 different temps at the center dash that are being read, but only 2 get outputted to the display. ambient and the auto ac temp setting, should be an easy way to get the other temps to read out also)

(same as the radio. there are some extra buttons that are on jap/euro and not on US. doesn't make sense, well it does but it is for really stupid reasons)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck tearing her apart! Everytime I used to take apart the dash in my old car, I would always end up with a couple extra screws and a new rattle.. Keep us updated on what you discover!

·
Registered
510 Posts
heh. just got done. (I can take the center dash apart in about 5 minutes, and have taken it apart damn near 12 times now and not a single scratch or missing screw, and no rattles either :))

I have taken tons and tons of pictures of the lcd board and the switches.

Besides the front panel being different, the board does have spots for extra switches. But the switches are not soldered on. I hooked it up and started trying the switch contacts, and they do work, to an extent. I found the info button on the board, and it does work, but heres the catch, the signal the lcd needs to display the fuel isn't there. So either the wire is disconnected somewhere, or there is a function through the computer system to enable this option.

I would love to get a real schematic of the lcd board, instead of a regular mechanics manual.

Anyways, I think this is possible, with just a little bit more info on the cluster computer, we could get our US cars up to spec. (maybe :()

wonder if matsu would send me a schematic since they are the ones who made it.

OH....forgot to mention...underneath the map pocket.....what did I find writen in white grease pen.......626(3). Kinda weird coincidence of having those particular numbers on the bottom of the pocket of a mazda :huh:

·
Registered
510 Posts
just to keep an update on this, found out the fuel signals are sent through the CAN wiring, (controller area network - basically 2 wires that go though the car that has multiple signals on it that are multiplexed)

so in order for the US version to work we would have to get the schematics and functions of the instrument cluster computer.

any one have the US versions of the "training_manual" and the "workshop_manual" or any other service type manual in pdf or linkable format?

would help out a tiny bit more then the euro versions I have right now and gives me some more info on where to go next :huh:

I would love to see if metra could get me some schematics for the center dash tronics.....they have to have them in order to get the lcd working without the audio unit. :huh:

·
Registered
510 Posts
just a warning though, this may or may not work, so no hopes are being raised.

alot of parts are used between US and euro, which makes alot of things easier to mod and work on.

problem is not having any detailed schematics to work with. for all I know is that the cluster cpu is pushing out the fuel singnals to the audio unit, and the US audio unit is stripping it out, then sending the other info to the lcd. or it could be that the cluster cpu is different from US to euro, or this, or that. (actually the CAN wires are going into the circuit board that is in front of the audio unit, the one directly behind the face plate, and then it gets rerouted on through to the lcd, so I think this panel board has alot to do with the signals also...but just dont know without the docs :sarc: )

I have sent emails to metra and matsushita requesting some documents on the troncis, so just have to wait and see how far that goes. :(

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Originally posted by HyTeK@Jun 24 2005, 08:03 PM
any one have the US versions of the "training_manual" and the "workshop_manual" or any other service type manual in pdf or linkable format?
[snapback]439698[/snapback]​
PM crossbow, he has the US factory service manual.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
you looking for a certain pager there HyTek? don't have a linkable one, but can send you pics of the pages?

which manual?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts