Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the iPod integration kit and absolutely love it. To complement this I purchased a panavise mount and a Proclip mount to hold the iPod nicely in place in my car. The clip I purchased (see below) allows for you to clamp in your connector so you can slide your iPod in and out like a dock. This was VERY attractive for me so I dropped the large $ for this piece and attempted an install.

The problem I ran into is that the connector from the Audiolink is very large in comparison to the stock cable that this mount was designed for. I attempted to 'modify' the piece that clamps in the connector but the thickness is preventing me from securing it. The quick IDEAL situation would be to find a female to male dock connector and plug the Audiolink into the stock iPod dock cable, but this product does not exist to my knowledge after much research.

My next plan of attack is one of two things. First, how easy is it to dismantle the dock connector? My idea is to remove half the casing and thus be able to fit it into the clamp (hopefully). Second, is there anyway to rewire the connector with the stock end?

I appreciate your help on this!

Thanks

Link
No direct image link

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if you could let me know if the connections wired into the connector supplied with the Audiolink are set up any different it would be helpful (ie additional leads,etc) as the option may be to replace the connector on the end and re-wire the leads.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
It is possible to dismantle the AudioLink's dock connector. You can see the seam on either side. A sharp object can be used to pry this apart. It simply snaps together.

I don't know if rewiring is possible. The AudioLink does use at least one additional lead, which is the one used for communication between the AudioLink and the iPod. However, I don't know which pin this is, nor do I know if the original iPod cable would have a lead off of that pin.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe I may have resolved my situation. After removing the case I realized that I could just swap the plastic that is surrounding the connector. I dismantled an old iPod adapter (stock) I had lying around and put it around the Audiolink cable. I have not had a chance to test it but I believe this will work! The only potential downside is that a bit of work may be exposed making for a not-so-perfect install but a little electrical tape should fix that right up!

I will post my results so you can recommend this fix in the future!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts