Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aftermarket remote starter on my 2005 Mazda6 V6. It is a 5spd manual but has a clutch bypass. I can't remote start the car (the remote reads "immobilizer"). I think its due to the factory security system.

Basically, i need to know how to prevent that flashing red security from blinking after you remove the key.

thanks for your help

·
Registered
521 Posts
your RS *should* have an AUX wire used for disarming the factory security system. It'll pull high or low 4 seconds before cranking the car. Whatever it needs to be. you tie that to the "factory disarm" wire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see thats the problem i didn't install it (and don't know how too). but randomly one day the factory light just started blinking.

·
Registered
521 Posts
That's even better. Most local shops warranty their work just for cases like this. Take the car back and I'm sure they will be willing to give it a look.

Shops often can't cover 100% of bases when doing final test and sounds like this slipped through the cracks. they'll get you fixed up quick.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's even better. Most local shops warranty their work just for cases like this. Take the car back and I'm sure they will be willing to give it a look.

Shops often can't cover 100% of bases when doing final test and sounds like this slipped through the cracks. they'll get you fixed up quick.
cool i appreciate your input, off-hand do you know approx. what is reasonable to charge for such a thing?

·
Registered
521 Posts
$40 if you take it to a shop that DIDN'T do the work. That's for diagnosis only, repair costs extra. If it's easy, they'll usually hook you up. If it's not, then they charge you hourly, reasonable cost is $80 an hour, I wouldn't pay more than a half hour's labor. (they'll take your car for half a day for scheduling)

If it is the shop you had the work done at, everything should be free. They should warranty the work. at the end of the day it'll be a replaced T-tap or wire, which will cost them $2 in materials and about an hour's work for their alarm guy. But most important, the shop you got the work done at wants you to tell your friends to go there, get their work done there. So they have a vested interest in making sure you are a happy customer. Industry standard is to diagnose their own work for free, then when they determine it was an act of god like a failed solder or broken T-tap, they fix it and everyone is happy.

They start to get suspicious when they find signs of the customer screwing around with things. It happens pretty often with amps and subwoofers. But not so much with alarms (honestly, who goes rooting around with their alarm hardware??) So I wouldn't expect too many troubles asking for a looksie, especially if you catch them on a slow day.

-------

You should know these prices are circa 2001-2004, dunno what the real going rate is these days for this work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts