Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my car is a company car and I use a company gas card, I am prompted to enter the vehicle mileage when I pay at the pump. So, I try to remember the mileage before turning off the car, as it disappears from the display when you turn the key off. However, being the poster child for Attention Deficit Disorder that I am, I sometimes forget by the time I have to enter the mileage (or when doing expense reports, going out to the car to get the odo reading). I have always had to go back in the car, put the key in and turn it to the ON postion to get the mileage to display. However, last night I discovered, quite by accident, that you can get the mileage to display when the car is off by simply turning on the lights! At least this is true for non-EL gauges.

I'm sure this means nothing to most of you, but for anyone who needs to record their mileage, this could save a step by not having to insert the key and turn it on. I can't believe I didn't figure this out before. :doh:

Hope this was helpful. :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
It is, actually. I keep track of my gas mileage quite religiously.

Why didn't I think of that?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'll try it, but I bet it won't work on the EL displays

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
If the light hits it just right, you can see the odometer. Turning on the lights always works, but only up to 26 days after you've last shut the car off. :p

Turning on the lights doesn't work with the EL gauges, my last 6 had those. I'm really sure it didn't work.

·
Registered
369 Posts
How the heck can you see it when the car off by looking at the right angle? It is a led it shouldnt have power.
[/b]
ajgonzales is right. I don't how but I did able to see the mileage.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,607 Posts
ajgonzales is right. I don't how but I did able to see the mileage.
[/b]
Yup. It almost looks like it's "burned" into the display when you turn the car off. It's hard to see, but if you look long enough, you can see a very faint image of the current odo reading.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Maybe it's always on, like a watch LCD, but only backlit when the lights are on.
[/b]

The same with my 06. It is real dim when the car is off. But with the lights on you can see it.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
you can sometimes see the mileage without using the key, if you look at the odometer at the right angle.
[/b]
rightO.

Something to do with the Polarized glass on the LCD that keeps the numbers showing......

·
Registered
313 Posts
grab the camera as i headed out to the gym this morning. it was dark and dim red interior lights dont help. so took as much as i could and hope one of the pics showed it. and it does.

with ELG. and turning on the lights doesnt light up the display.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself, took me about a few months after I got my car to figure out I could do that....and even then, I still occasionally put my key in the ignition to see my mileage, not cause I don't know, but because Im so used to it. :sarc:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts