Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:( I have a 2010 GT i Madza 6 for five days now. Our initial happiness has turned to disappointment with this vehicle. The first day I discovered that the AM/FM radio does not work properly. Both the AM and FM goes on and off, but mostly off and I get no reception at all except for hissing most of the time.

The service dept. resecured all connections and told me it was fixed; however, when I checked, there was no change. I informed the service manager who agreed that it is defective and did not know what to do, so he called Madza technical service and now I await parts for a complete change of the "brains" of the radio system. The 10 speaker Bose system plays fine with CD's, but we like to also listen to the radio.

We also thought we had Sirius satellite radio, but actually do not. The brochure and also window sticker states, "Sirius Satellite with audio compatibility." This is very misleading. It makes it sound like it came with satellite radio. The salesman even told me we would get 6 months free so he thought we had it also, but it turned out it is part of the technology package, which we do not have.

Also, today it was quite humid and the windows fogged up. I hit the front defrost buttom which made it worst. The owner's manual on page 6-15 states, "Set the temp. control to the hot position when defogging. Using the front defrost setting set to cold is dangerous as it will cause the outside of the windshield to fog up." What kind of sense does this make? It was 85 degrees outside, and the manual states to turn on the heat!

I also have a few rattles coming from an unknown source that have to be checked also. What kind of quality contol does Mazda have? They should not have presented me with a vehicle like this.

Also, the salesman at delivery gave me the keys and I was on my way. Isn't he supposed to give me an orientation or walk around of the new vehicle and explain the hands free bluetooth, etc.?

My entire experience has not been a good one and I hope the problems can be resolved. My wife does not even want to drive it, which is very disappointing. She is afraid of what might happen next.

Anyone out there have advice? :(
Thanks

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,550 Posts
:( I have a 2010 GT i Madza 6 for five days now. Our initial happiness has turned to disappointment with this vehicle. The first day I discovered that the AM/FM radio does not work properly. Both the AM and FM goes on and off, but mostly off and I get no reception at all except for hissing most of the time.

The service dept. resecured all connections and told me it was fixed; however, when I checked, there was no change. I informed the service manager who agreed that it is defective and did not know what to do, so he called Madza technical service and now I await parts for a complete change of the "brains" of the radio system. The 10 speaker Bose system plays fine with CD's, but we like to also listen to the radio.
The radio problem is indeed a weird one, since my Bose radio has been excellent since Day One. It's probably just a fluke with your current radio that should be easily remedied.
We also thought we had Sirius satellite radio, but actually do not. The brochure and also window sticker states, "Sirius Satellite with audio compatibility." This is very misleading. It makes it sound like it came with satellite radio. The salesman even told me we would get 6 months free so he thought we had it also, but it turned out it is part of the technology package, which we do not have.
There's an adapter that's available through Mazda to get Sirius, but IMO, your salesperson is the one that should have clarified that one, and he blew that one, not Mazda.
Also, today it was quite humid and the windows fogged up. I hit the front defrost buttom which made it worst. The owner's manual on page 6-15 states, "Set the temp. control to the hot position when defogging. Using the front defrost setting set to cold is dangerous as it will cause the outside of the windshield to fog up." What kind of sense does this make? It was 85 degrees outside, and the manual states to turn on the heat!
The manual also assumes you'll need the defroster when it's 25 degrees outside, not in 85-degree weather.

It's been well over 90 degrees every day this past week, with dewpoints well over 70 that puts the heat index well over 100, and my car has been parked outside, in my garage, and even in a parking garage, and I haven't had any problem with the windows fogging up. This also includes the monsoon that I drove through last evening and night. My windows have fogged up in the past in similar conditions with other vehicles (mostly during rainy conditions), and I've always been able to turn on the defogger while leaving the temperature alone, and the windows clear right up.

Next time, may I suggest trying not to turn up the temperature?
Also, the salesman at delivery gave me the keys and I was on my way. Isn't he supposed to give me an orientation or walk around of the new vehicle and explain the hands free bluetooth, etc.?
Again, another item that the salesperson screwed up, since I got the walk-around from my salesperson going over the basic functions. He didn't go over the BT thoroughly, but he did point out where to find out how to do it.
My entire experience has not been a good one and I hope the problems can be resolved. My wife does not even want to drive it, which is very disappointing. She is afraid of what might happen next.
I'm very sorry for all your difficulties as well, and I do hope that these issues can be resolved, since IMO my 6 has been nothing but flawless in the 4 weeks that I've owned it. I think your dealer isn't exactly doing all they can either, and you may want to try another one if possible. You can get warranty-work done at any Mazda dealer besides the one you bought it from...

This is also exactly the reason why 6Club exists as well. It allows 6 owners to ask and answer questions with other owners in order to better understand their own vehicle.

I sincerely hope things improve for you. BTW, have you driven other examples of the 6 in order to see if they share the same issues as yours?

Reactions: bmiller18

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Unfortunately this is a very common issue with the 1st generation 6. In fact, there is a TSB for it. However the fix is for the dealership to pull the entire dash and stick pieces of foam into the dash defroster vents to stop the bleeding of cooled air when the output isn't set to the defroster. But I don't trust the local Mazda dealer and so I did not have it addressed on my car.

On high humidity mornings my windshield base will easily fog-over if I stop for any period of time over 1-2 minutes, such as at the coffee shop.

You'd think they'd have fixed it on the new car. Pretty sad they didn't.

As for issues overall, a quick review of initial quality and long-term reliability ratings show that Mazda is shit on both. They've improved, but they've got a long way to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts