Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speed 6 and the cx-7 both have turbo direct injected, I have the 6i. What makes thier turbo not work for the my car?Can it be customized?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know about hiboost and haas turbo but the factory ones are cheaper if applicable. That is the purpose of my question aswell as if i could drop a speed 6 motor into my car and be compatible with my tranny.

·
Registered
487 Posts
In the days before I was born, cars were carburated - where fuel is atomized at the beginning of the intake tract.

Fuel injection is when the carb is eliminated and fuel is atomized by fuel injectors. Port injection is when the fuel is injected into the tract right before the intake valves, and direct injection is when fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. Diesel is typically direct inject (although older designs injected into a sub chamber)

The cx7 and speed6 use direct inject because direct inject cools the cylinder better than port inject. (fuel cools the cylinder when the heat inside the cyl vaporises the fuel).

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for clearing that up, even the guys at the dealership didn't know. But why would that hinder the turbo from being compatible with my motor?

·
Registered
487 Posts
There are many things hindering the turbo from being compatible with the motor. The biggest reason I can think of is that the car was designed to work at atmospheric pressure, not forced induction (turbo, supercharger).

The engine internals may not be able to handle the increased stresses form forced induction, transmission, engine mounts, exhaust problems. As a general rule of thumb, making more power = more heat. And heat is the enemy of all.

The following is a little rant about dealership sales people:
I hate to sterotype, but dealership guys don't really know what they are talking about alot of the time. Their job is to pretend to learn everything about a car, and then to say what it takes to make the vehicle seem good and sell the stupid thing.

For example, one time I was test driving a car and asked about variable valve timing. The guy had no idea but instead of saying "I have no idea how to answer that question" He went on about timing chain and first major maintence at 100k.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I'm sure you could get the MS6 turbo to work with your 6i, but why? It's not a bolt on part in this case since they are different engines, so it would take a lot of work. An aftermarket turbo kit is a much better idea.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Direct injected turbo engines allow for higher compression ratios than port injected engines for a certain amount of boost pressure. I doubt a 10.0:1 compression ratio without direct injection would work too well with the amount of boost the Speed 6 turbo runs. But I guess you can always limit boost with a wastegate.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The cooling effect of the direct injection allows for higher compression ratios. i.e. more boost. Without DI, detonation is more likely and the amount of boost is a bit more limited, as are the gains available from denser, turbo-charged air. DI injectors squirt fuel at incredibly high pressure during the compression stroke causing near perfect atomization but requiring precise timing and special fuel pumps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The MS6 engine is a whole different beast than the one in the 6i. It uses a different type of fuel injection, it has uprated crank/rods/pistons/oiling, and it is running a lower (slightly) compression ratio. It is definately possible to adapt its turbo to your engine but by no means would it be a simple bolt on procedure. It would be much easier and frankly cheaper to run with one of the aftermarket kits.

Dropping in the engine from the MS6 is also possible but no where near economical. By the time you bought the engine, mounts, transmission, PCMs, etc you would have easily eclipsed what it would have cost you to trade in your 6i at a dealership for a brand new speed. And then you would have the warranty to boot!

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I know about hiboost and haas turbo but the factory ones are cheaper if applicable. That is the purpose of my question aswell as if i could drop a speed 6 motor into my car and be compatible with my tranny.
[/b]
Cheaper? What in the world makes you think that? Nothing from a dealer is ever cheaper than buying aftermarket. I would bet money that piece-mealing a turbo together with the factory components would cost upwards of $10,000.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I was browsing the web last night and it turns out the Lexus IS350 uses Direct Injection in for their fuel delivery system. Compression of 11.8:1. My question is what kind of realized gains; fuel economy and powerwise can be had using DI in an N/A motor.

·
Registered
487 Posts
holy moly.
11.8:1. Well, first off higher compression ratio which makes the engine more efficient. More efficient = better mileage, better power, better emissions*.

*emissions may vary due to tuning.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Since a 6i sport base costs around $19K and a MS6 sport base are being sould for around $22K it is absolutly impossible for the MS6 engine to only cost $3K along with the necessary engine mounts, PCM, etc. Not to mention you also dont get the MS6 suspension, AWD, and necessary hood for the car...it's not economical

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
holy moly.
11.8:1. Well, first off higher compression ratio which makes the engine more efficient. More efficient = better mileage, better power, better emissions*.

*emissions may vary due to tuning.
[/b]
I thought so. Its just that DI seems to be made to work well w/ turbo motors since they run hotter and usually require lower compression ratios.

On a side note you'll see that 3.5L Toyota engine pushing 350hp in the Supra which will be the base model version..... :giggles:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts