Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I replaced the clutch in my 2004 6s with the help of a friend. Somehow I thought that it was going to be no big deal. Well, I was very wrong about that.

My friend is a mechanic. I'm fairly proficient with cars also. With our combined experience, I thought it would go smoothly. It wound up being a 12-hour ordeal! We eventually finished the job, but it was an extremely frustrating experience! We even had access to a complete shop with a lift, and a Mazda6 workshop manual.

It seemed like every little step of the way we ran into something that slowed us down: Fussy suspension parts; stuck bolts; constantly switching tools; damage of other parts; assembling/disassembling; etc. It was just a nightmare! The funny thing is that people do this with their cars on jackstands! That would have been damn near impossible for us today.

I do not recommend this as a DIY job unless you have a tremendous level of patience, job organization, adequate workplace with proper tools, and some experience.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The one thing that really sticks out in my mind other than it just being time consuming because your damn near taking the whole front of the car apart was the 2 big bolts on the steering rack. Both kinda a pain to get to and both very tight.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm definitely farming out this job. I found two reputable transmission places locally that quoted me $500-600 for labor on the clutch. I'm supplying the parts. Not too bad considering most shops' books list this as an 8-9 hr job. Of course, the local stealership quoted me $1100 for labor and a local chain of repair shops, called Driver's Edge quoted me over $900. Some shops even said they wouldn't do the job unless they supplied the parts.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
QUOTE (dfw6er @ Oct 21 2008, 08:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1463143
Some shops even said they wouldn't do the job unless they supplied the parts.[/b]
It's places like this that really piss me off. There is a reason why we don't have them supply the parts, b/c they suck compared to what we want.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Front 1ine @ Oct 21 2008, 11:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1463195
It's places like this that really piss me off. There is a reason why we don't have them supply the parts, b/c they suck compared to what we want.[/b]
Yeah, well the good news is there are plenty of shops out there unlike this. It should be easy enough to find a good shop.

QUOTE (fullmetal6 @ Oct 21 2008, 10:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1463128
The one thing that really sticks out in my mind other than it just being time consuming because your damn near taking the whole front of the car apart was the 2 big bolts on the steering rack. Both kinda a pain to get to and both very tight.[/b]
I remember 3 of them, but my memory may be off. That was a tough day for me after all. Those bolts are the least of your worries though. Believe me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
fly757
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing