Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I know the mounts for the differential are bad, but if I had to choose one mount what is my best bet? I don't drag or track race.

Turbine Tech Diff Mount vs SU StiffDiff Mount

MS6 w/ Hypertech Tuner, Cobb TIP, Cobb SRI, J-Barone SSP Stage 2

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Alright, I know the mounts for the differential are bad, but if I had to choose one mount what is my best bet? I don't drag or track race.

Turbine Tech Diff Mount vs SU StiffDiff Mount

MS6 w/ Hypertech Tuner, Cobb TIP, Cobb SRI, J-Barone SSP Stage 2
Well there are two mounts for the rear diff.... a rear mount, and a front mount, so it can definitely be confusing. The rear diff REAR mount is the one that can fail and cause axels to snap. SU and CPE are the only companies that make the rear diff "rear" mount. Most people just refer to this as the "rear diff mount." Turbine Tech makes the rear diff FRONT mount, which you don't need (and they don't make a rear diff rear mount afaik).

The CPE diff mount is beefier than the SU, BUT I've never heard of either failing. And if you're not launching, it doesn't matter. I heard that fitment w/ the SU mount was an issue in the past, but someone (I forget) recently told me they "fixed" that. It sounds like you're not installing them yourself, so that doesn't sound like an issue. However, I'd like someone to chim in about the fitment of the SU rear diff mount regardless. If you're paying your shop by the hour, I wouldn't want them charging you another $50 to wrestle w/ the SU piece for an extra half hour (I used to get quoted by the job, and they'd stick to that # even if they took longer... most places won't do that). So, either one is fine, but both were recently on back order. I love my CPE rear diff mount... the thing is a beast. But I'm biased... I was driving all careful for like 8 months before I finally got a diff mount, so I was all excited to be able to rip it up, and not worry. You may want to look into a rear motor mount as well... they are cheap, and take like 15 mins to install.

Reactions: Shermer321

·
Registered
7 Posts
diff mount

Just put in the CPE diff mount after breaking the stock and a SU mount. no problems yet, good luck getting a SU mount been out of stock for a while.

And the SU mount fit fine, it just didnt like launching with the WOT/2 Step.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Just put in the CPE diff mount after breaking the stock and a SU mount. no problems yet, good luck getting a SU mount been out of stock for a while.

And the SU mount fit fine, it just didnt like launching with the WOT/2 Step.

Please post photos of the SU mount failure. Yours is the first I've heard about. Was it a production version or protoype pre-production? I've launched my Speed6 with the 2-step and with AP/LC set to 4600 and 4800 rpms with NO problems. We (the community) need to know details of any failures, please.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Holy bahls lol, surely he just broke the bushings and not the actual mount.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for that Dougefresh, I remember reading that on another forum but never understood which (Front/Rear Diff Mount) was most important. I was hoping to go with the new street unit mount with the urethane bushings. Not looking forward to dropping the rear end but it needs to be done.

I would do the install myself, with the economy I would have to sell my car to pay for an install.... I'm not new to the garage so it shouldn't be too bad.

(Motor Mount is on it's way)

Forzda1, pictures would be awesome, was it this old mount?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
You're welcome. Nice to know I'm not the only one broke as joke, lol.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

Forzda1, pictures would be awesome, was it this old mount?

Well, the link above is to the OEM mount, not the "Stiff Diff". Make sure you buy this one:

StreetUnit Differential Brace mazdaspeed 6

It appears that it is a slightly different design than their original version. This one "looks" even better than the original. It has thicker bushing loops and bushings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, the link above is to the OEM mount, not the "Stiff Diff". Make sure you buy this one:

StreetUnit Differential Brace mazdaspeed 6

It appears that it is a slightly different design than their original version. This one "looks" even better than the original. It has thicker bushing loops and bushings.
I meant to say that to the person that broke his StreetUnit mount wondering if it was that old design. I guess I will place an order at Street Unit and play the waiting game...

Hope the install isn't bad without a lift.

Anyone know how much that would cost at an auto place?

I also bought the AWR Rear Motor Mount, will 70 Durometer be enough?

·
Registered
7 Posts
broke mount

Please post photos of the SU mount failure. Yours is the first I've heard about. Was it a production version or protoype pre-production? I've launched my Speed6 with the 2-step and with AP/LC set to 4600 and 4800 rpms with NO problems. We (the community) need to know details of any failures, please.
Will post photos when i get home, if you look in my garage thers pics of the broke stock mount and axle before i pulled them. not sure what version of SU mount it was, but got it late last year.
And it was not the OEM that SU sells.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The turbinetech mount does not replace a mount..but adds one. Some people get both that front mount and a stronger rear mount (SU or CPE)

I have just the front.. not installed.. anyone want to donate me a rear sway bar to install the same time? :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Its going to be approx 9 hour job as far as the book goes. so anywhere from 600-900 for labor. My neighbops and I replaced the whole rear diff. Was a pita. but worth the savings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
900 for a mount, Yep, I'm doing it myself....

I should have mostly everything, I have stands and a jack but I don't know how a standard jack will fair with lowering the rear end....

·
Registered
50 Posts
900 for a mount, Yep, I'm doing it myself....

I should have mostly everything, I have stands and a jack but I don't know how a standard jack will fair with lowering the rear end....
SU should be shipping back orders now, mine was on BO for a couple of months and I just got it today.

·
Registered
400 Posts
cool. I was waiting for SU. but i went with CP-e cause they had one left.

·
Registered
400 Posts
good luck with the install. I would also put the turbune tech mount in. Some people say you don't need it. But I wanted to b positive that the diff was bulletproof. And trust me if u see the difference between oem mount an the tt mount u would see why. There is no lag in my drivetrain now.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Lol. Bone stock BESIDES.........
Why you selling?

·
Registered
400 Posts
The turbinetech mount does not replace a mount..but adds one. Some people get both that front mount and a stronger rear mount (SU or CPE)

I have just the front.. not installed.. anyone want to donate me a rear sway bar to install the same time? :)
Think you may be confused on the tt mounts. here are twop. U are correct in stating the tt front motor mount gives you a new mount. But there is a forward rear diff mount the tt has a mount to replace.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts