Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in the automotive industry (we supply the car mfr's). Was showing some pics of the yellow 6 to a guy just now and mentioned that I MIGHT want to change the rear lenses to clear, that I think that would look nice with the yellow car as opposed to the red lenses. Of course I'd wanna see a pic of what it'd look like first (anyone wanna Photoshop a Yellow 6 from the rear view??). Anyway, he said that the mfr's can't sell them with anything other than red because of federal regulations, etc. That's why other lens colors aren't even an option to order from Mazda.

So....is it then legal to change the lensese once you own it? Is it just the mfr's that have to abide by the federal rule, but an owner can get them aftermarket with no worries?

Just wondering...

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Reading Topic: different taillight lenses

I am going to say that this will vary by state, however, here in Nebraska the law is that a person has to see red form about 75 feet away. So it's perfectly legal to change the taillights to clear (I am going to do this too..). Mazda parts is going to sell the clear taillights though.. As soon as they get them in stock that is.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

I think there is a federal law and state laws that require the rear lights to be red colored and reflect red. However, the whole taillight assembly does not have to be red (nissan altima is an example). However, the total clear taillights are illegal.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

You've got some strange laws. Basically the clear tail lights are red. It's just the surrounding reflector that is chrome. Who would be mistaking the rear for the front anyway? How stupid does someone have to be?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'different taillight lenses'

Originally posted by Driver6

You've got some strange laws. Basically the clear tail lights are red. It's just the surrounding reflector that is chrome. Who would be mistaking the rear for the front anyway? How stupid does someone have to be?[/b]
Not as stupid as you might think unfortunately...

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hi,

I just ordered a Mazda 6 here in Australia, which come with the clear taillight assembly by default, with no option. On a related note to this thread, how hard and/or expensive would it be (irrespective of legality) to change the taillights to be coloured?

Thanks,

Fry.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Hmm Fryboy has clear, wants red. Half of america has red, wants clear.

Do I see a trade coming up? :D

By the way Fryboy, it's not that strange that you got clear lenses since your car is made in Japan :)

And yeah pleas ad your location to your profile, by clicking the myhome link at the top of the page.

·
Registered
5 Posts

According to my cop-friends (I'm a volunteer FF); this is the deal in Jersey...

The lenses have to be red. Now, this is how they get away with it legall in NJ.. there is a seperate lens surrounding just the bulb that is red, making it legit.

So to recap, in NJ, gotta have a red lens.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Originally posted by CuCullin

According to my cop-friends (I'm a volunteer FF); this is the deal in Jersey...

The lenses have to be red.  Now, this is how they get away with it legall in NJ.. there is a seperate lens surrounding just the bulb that is red, making it legit.

So to recap, in NJ, gotta have a red lens.[/b]
I'm from NJ too... so all the altimas out there have red lenses??? I take close notice next time.

·
Registered
205 Posts

The US 'clear' lenses are legal because they are actually different from the European/Japanese clear lenses.

On absolute's clear lens tail-light thread in the Pictures section of this board, krill also posted some high resolution pics of the US clear lenses. In one of krill's pics, you'll see that the US clear lenses have a red side-marker/reflectors (the rear reflectors you see from the side of a vehicle). But if you look at the clear lenses from Europe/Japan, there is no side reflector at all.

As an aside, I think this is why the American taillights (both red and clear ones) have a buldge, whereas the Euro/Jap ones don't - namely the buldge is needed to create space for the red side-markers.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Originally posted by wongpres

The US 'clear' lenses are legal because they are actually different from the European/Japanese clear lenses.

On absolute's clear lens tail-light thread in the Pictures section of this board, krill also posted some high resolution pics of the US clear lenses. In one of krill's pics, you'll see that the US clear lenses have a red side-marker/reflectors (the rear reflectors you see from the side of a vehicle). But if you look at the clear lenses from Europe/Japan, there is no side reflector at all.

As an aside, I think this is why the American taillights (both red and clear ones) have a buldge, whereas the Euro/Jap ones don't - namely the buldge is needed to create space for the red side-markers.[/b]
I think you are right about the bulge. I knew I noticed it on Kirill's photos...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts