Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at picking up a MS6 and had a question on the spoiler. I don't think the stock one looks bad, but I'd rather have the standard spoiler instead of the lip one. Is the lip spoiler mounted such that I could take it off and mount the standard one? Or are there screws/bolts holding it on so I would have lovely holes in the trunk. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'm looking at picking up a MS6 and had a question on the spoiler. I don't think the stock one looks bad, but I'd rather have the standard spoiler instead of the lip one. Is the lip spoiler mounted such that I could take it off and mount the standard one? Or are there screws/bolts holding it on so I would have lovely holes in the trunk. Thanks!
[/b]
IIRC, the brake light on the lip is wired through the center of the trunk so there should be a hole there. if that is the case, replacing your spoiler will be more than just bolt on-bolt off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
IIRC, the brake light on the lip is wired through the center of the trunk so there should be a hole there. if that is the case, replacing your spoiler will be more than just bolt on-bolt off.
[/b]
ryceboi....you have to change your avatar back....I don't recognize you!!!!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have considered this as well. Some holes will have to be filled and some new ones drilled.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hey now, the regular Mazda 6 with the spoiler was my inspiration for writing Mazda Coorperation a 3 1/2 page letter expressing wishes for a turbocharged, awd version to be developed back in january of 04, when I had my evo. I of coarse expressed for a more sporty, performance based package than what they released, but still...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah ... I'm with you guys. I have a coworker who has a Mazda 6s, and I can so dig the 6s spoiler on the Speed6. I'm sure the aerodynamics won't be affect that much (besides, it's not like I drive past 140 MPH, or even 110 MPH, maybe 100, but not that much more and too long). I wonder if anyone with a Speed6 has done it yet?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Not sure what color your car is, but if it's common, you can try to do a trunk swap with someone.

Back in my contour days, people were always swapping the SVT trunks for the pre 98's

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Not sure what color your car is, but if it's common, you can try to do a trunk swap with someone.

Back in my contour days, people were always swapping the SVT trunks for the pre 98's
[/b]
Problem is that the MZ6 is made in the US, the MS6 is made in Japan, all of them use different paint colors...

·
Registered
272 Posts
And I assume you would have to worry about swapping the Keyless mechanizm if you have the GT.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I guess the spoiler doesn't attach like this?

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger and buying an MS6! I can't believe the deals right now. :D

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
So, I guess the spoiler doesn't attach like this?

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger and buying an MS6! I can't believe the deals right now. :D
[/b]
IIRC again, the brake light wiring is in the center. i did the brake light mod and remember having to splice the harness near the middle of the trunk, which connected to the brake light on the spoiler. the one pictured on ebay is aftermarket, so it probably is not the same design, nor the same quality.

edit:
i'll take a quick peak in a little bit and let you know.

yeah, i was right, theres a hole in the center for the brake light wiring to go through.

btw, if you look closer at the lip spoiler on ebay, the brake light isnt even the same as the ms6.

ebay:

ms6:

the ms6 has no bolts below the light cover. u have to pop it out to change out the LEDs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts