Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to see if anyone knew the difference in curb weights between the MS6 Sport and Grand Touring package? Everything I've found online suggests that they share the same weight, but from my experience, generally cars equipped with a moonroof weigh in at about 70 lbs over their hardtop counterparts. I figured the addition of a moonroof, leather, additional power accessories ect should make the Grand Tourning model just a tad heavier than the Sport. I only ask because I test drove both a GT & a Sport model before I bought my Sport, me and my girlfriend both agreed my Sport felt just a little quicker. I guessed it had to do with curb weight, and was wondering if anyone knows what the difference is?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i dont know that with two passengers in the car there would be such a perceptible difference between the two. generally in the 1/4mile, its about .1sec per 100 lbs.

i would say that if it felt that different, it was more likely due to a reflash, fuel octane, mileage etc difference.

of course i still havent answered your question, so i checked my msp6 product guide booklet and nothing was there. sorry!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I am curious to know this answer to this as well. Leather and a moon-roof really would be sweet, but on an already really heavy car, I don't know if it's really worth the extra weight. I want to keep the car as light as possible to keep 1/4 mile times down at the track.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Cars weight is generally only provided for the base model. Manufacturers rarely provide curb weights for those equipped with optional equipment unless it's significant enough to warrant it. The difference is probably about 100lbs. With the moonroof and power seat making up about 95% of that weight difference.

But, I doubt you could really notice a difference in speed over such a small weight difference. It's there, but I doubt you could tell; certainly not in normal driving. It'd only show itself in a 0.05 to 0.1 second difference on the track.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's about what I figured, however it was actually noticable between the 2 models I drove, I know that adding 100 lbs shouldn't be that noticable in a 274hp car, although cars are considerably slower here (5200 ft altitude), maybe that had something to do with it being more noticable? I can assure you though there was a perceptable difference, maybe I just got a "factory freak" haha, or my car's ECU was happier that day, but it was noticable.

Also, not to magazine race, but that fastest published 0-60 & 1/4 mile times were recorded by a Sport model in Car & Driver's February 06 comparison. Their [email protected] shows a 2-3mph trap speed increase over other magazines tests which generally included a GT model. Maybe they just overinflated their numbers, but it's something I made a note of. Just my $.02

·
Registered
856 Posts
I do remember reading some numbers of people that took theirs to the track.
I believe the Sport consistantly ran .1 and ~2mph faster than the GT.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The biggest difference wont be seen in the 1320, but in a road course, because that 40-70lb of moon roof is in the worst possible location.... I bet there would be a difference between the 2 in an autox or raod coruse after 3-4 laps...

·
Registered
595 Posts
The biggest difference wont be seen in the 1320, but in a road course, because that 40-70lb of moon roof is in the worst possible location.... I bet there would be a difference between the 2 in an autox or raod coruse after 3-4 laps...
[/b]

not all Grand Tourings have a sunroof. I am going to the track within a couple weeks, I bet I can pull a 13.6 or better with my Grand Touring, bone stock. For those that care, I will keep everyone posted on the results. Car is bone stock, except for a boost gauge, clearbra and tint - and the Mazdaspeed RAYS wheels.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I bet I can pull a 13.6 or better with my Grand Touring, bone stock. For those that care, I will keep everyone posted on the results.
[/b]
Ahhh, now there's a man with ambition. Please forgive my facetiousness, but I'll be waiting on that bone stock 13.6. :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ahhh, now there's a man with ambition. Please forgive my facetiousness, but I'll be waiting on that bone stock 13.6. :D
[/b]
I believe on a cool day, a 13.5 can be hit with a good launch. I want the 13.5, but a 13.6 is not too bad to start with.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I believe on a cool day, a 13.5 can be hit with a good launch. I want the 13.5, but a 13.6 is not too bad to start with.
[/b]
You must be able to drive your booty off. I agree though about quicker times when it's cooler. I'm going to take my stock Sport to the track and get some definitive answers in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I had my WRX and was down in Texas (Ft Hood, TX- Temple Academy Dragway 700 ft altitude) with a few bolt-ons (turboback exhaust, ECUtek reflash, up-pipe & crank pulley) I was able to hit a [email protected] w/a 1.8 60 ft. If people have been hitting 99mph trap speeds I think it's totally possible to hit a 13.6 or better with a good launch.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just cause you beelive it don't make it soe. Judging by the times being listed a 13.6 would make you a John Force caliber drive, but I will be a big fan if you can pull it off!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm up in Colorado now, so I know for a fact that I couldn't do it, hell at Bandimere (5800 ft) up here I'd be lucky to run a 14.6 lol. Although with an experienced driver who's car pulls around 99mph trap speeds, with a 1.7-1.8 60ft time, powershifting at the right rpms I honestly believe a 13.6 or better is in the cards. Granted it would take the right track conditions ie altitude, temperature, humidity, track prep, the higher the octane fuel the better (I've heard our cars are very picky, and cut boost if octane is too low). Most people don't powershift at the track (hold the gas to the floor while shifting), which I don't blame them in an AWD car, as it could possibly damage the cars drivetrain, however in my experiences with previous cars, powershifting has knocked off .2-.3 seconds in the 1320.

There was a guy over on Nasioc a few years ago, that ran a 13.7 in a bone stock 02 WRX. I know for a fact that stock for stock our cars are faster, both because I've owned both and because most of the track results people have posted show the MS6 trapping 2-4mph faster than a 02-05 WRX. The 06 WRX is a slightly different story, they're a bit faster than previous models but we're still a bit faster than them as well. Not to mag/internet race but this article here shows we trap 4km/h (about 2mph) faster than an 06 as well http://www.wheels.ca/features/jan_06_mazda6_vs_wrx.php and there are people running 13.7's in bone stock 06 WRX's http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979781 my only point in posting this is we're both AWD cars with similiar launching potential, only our cars are faster (evidenced by higher trap speeds, and I also test drove an 06 WRX Ltd that felt a good bit slower than our MS6s). With equal traction potential, and a better power to weight ratio 13.87 lb/hp to our 13.09 lb/hp (based on 06 WRX's 230hp & 3192 lbs curb weight & MS6's 274hp & 3589 lbs) I don't see any reason why our cars can't run a 13.6 or better bone stock. I think the only reason that no one has, or at least no one has posted it, is because the typical owners of the MS6 don't seem to have a track obsession like certain competitor cars (ie WRX's). That's just my $.02 though, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just to clarify it is not 13.87 or 13.09 hp/lb it is lb/hp.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
thankyou blue you took the words right out of my mouth

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Just break up with your girlfriend and that will shed the weight you need to match the speed of the Sport. Thats the most liberating modification you will ever have the pleasure of performing, imagine, one that saves you money?

·
Registered
451 Posts
You must be able to drive your booty off. I agree though about quicker times when it's cooler. I'm going to take my stock Sport to the track and get some definitive answers in the coming weeks.
[/b]
he's bone stock except for the mazdaspeed RAYS wheels... i would consider a lighter wheel to be a mod, haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts