Mazda 6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Well, after much troubleshooting on early 80s circuitry, the Kitamura is actually working!

It took a while, it had all sorts of error codes and faults thanks to the total lack of ceremony concerning its shutdown and transport. BTW, damn machine coolant, lube, and fluids is *expensive*. (about 500 bux total to fill the machine with fluids)

I should have some pics of a pre-production brace in a couple of days. ;)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Well, after much troubleshooting on early 80s circuitry, the Kitamura is actually working!

It took a while, it had all sorts of error codes and faults thanks to the total lack of ceremony concerning its shutdown and transport. BTW, damn machine coolant, lube, and fluids is *expensive*. (about 500 bux total to fill the machine with fluids)

I should have some pics of a pre-production brace in a couple of days. ;)[/b]
Come on man.....make sure you make this happen. Everyone is dying to see it.....remember, no ground clearance sacrifices :yesnod:

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
This is going to be neat. I have faith in you, ghetto!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is this actually working?

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Is this actually working?[/b]
What, the straps?
I think ghetto's had them on his car for a good while with hard driving, no problems. However, I think Dadasracecar experienced some breakage. His straps broke, I think the s hook seperated from the strap, IIRC.
Now that my axle seal is replaced, I can slap them back on the car.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
mine have been holding up really well. they feel good with the motor mount and short throw shifter.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I found that one of mine had broken and part of it was hanging. The other was intact and pulling my diff to the right. God knows what happened to the hook that wasn't there when I removed the remnants of the broken strap.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I found that one of mine had broken and part of it was hanging. The other was intact and pulling my diff to the right. God knows what happened to the hook that wasn't there when I removed the remnants of the broken strap.[/b]
rofl!! That's scary. It's probably embeded in somebody's radiator. :p
So did you replace the strap, or are you now rolling strapless?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Wow, yeah, don't get the really cheap S-hooks they sometimes are made of potmetal!

Well, won't be an issue here I finally got the #$%%*$%@@! mill working ugh it was driving me insane...

Stupid thing was throwing random faults and I figured out that it was because some loon in my complex was running a compressor on one of the 3 phase legs and its motor was shorting out...

Now that I have some time off of my day job I can crank out a handful of these (and finally get the straps out from under my car too)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I found that one of mine had broken and part of it was hanging. The other was intact and pulling my diff to the right. God knows what happened to the hook that wasn't there when I removed the remnants of the broken strap.[/b]
Hrm, thats good to know and affirms what I thought about the failure mode of the car..

Now just get some heavier straps... ;) Until I crank a few of these out..

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
UPDATE:

FINALLY got the design finalized, the coolant pump on the CNC died (no biggie, just can't do any insane production machining until I rebuild the pump, I have to run slower speed/feeds right now)

Unfortunately, if I were to make these, they would cost about $500 as of right now. :(

The design is MASSIVE and looks like something I have done on 4x4s before, but, eh.. Maybe if I can design out some of the insane strength the price can go down but I would rather be safe than sorry for now and overdesign initially. No clearance issues either, so thats good news. The bottom of the bracket sits down at the same level as the exhaust.

I need to do some FEA on it and see if I can remove some material.

Oh, and, my straps were finally toast. :)

If/when I put straps back on (depends on how long this all takes) I will use 1500lb straps and run the strap through rubber hose where it contacts the diff.

The straps fail because of abrasion though, not because of tension. Unfortunately, the diff casting is ROUGH, I mean its like 50 grit sandpaper.. Bad news...

Next time I might wrap it around the diff cover in the front because its a lot smoother.

However, I hope I can get this finished and installed before I need to do that.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
good idea on the hose to prevent abrasion on the straps. Where are you located? Id like to get this mount your designing, but would also like to see it first. Good to here that youve got this moving forward.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Yeah, this design I had looong ago, problem was there was always something else in my face needing to be taken care of.

Also, too, I had to figure out ways to make it deal with possible variances in bolt locations. Initially this seemed easy, but, after getting into it further, it proved to be murder.

Some of the places I had mountpoints were *great* at first, but, during some initial testing I found out that it was able to hit the exhaust. :(

Now my biggest problem is finding rubber shockmounts. I still don't know how I want to handle vibration just yet. Obviously, the hardcore guys will want this to be solid, but, others will want bushings and this will also cause some more possible issues with hitting the exhaust by having more movement available.

·
Registered
787 Posts
UPDATE:

FINALLY got the design finalized, the coolant pump on the CNC died (no biggie, just can't do any insane production machining until I rebuild the pump, I have to run slower speed/feeds right now)

Unfortunately, if I were to make these, they would cost about $500 as of right now. :(

The design is MASSIVE and looks like something I have done on 4x4s before, but, eh.. Maybe if I can design out some of the insane strength the price can go down but I would rather be safe than sorry for now and overdesign initially. No clearance issues either, so thats good news. The bottom of the bracket sits down at the same level as the exhaust.

I need to do some FEA on it and see if I can remove some material.

Oh, and, my straps were finally toast. :)

If/when I put straps back on (depends on how long this all takes) I will use 1500lb straps and run the strap through rubber hose where it contacts the diff.

The straps fail because of abrasion though, not because of tension. Unfortunately, the diff casting is ROUGH, I mean its like 50 grit sandpaper.. Bad news...

Next time I might wrap it around the diff cover in the front because its a lot smoother.

However, I hope I can get this finished and installed before I need to do that.[/b]
It's great that someone with the requisite background is doing this. Now... is is feasable to do a cheaper one (you knew that was coming ;-) for the moderate performance crowd? I know nothing about the costs of making the thing, only that running a machine shop is not cheap. But perhaps something simple for people who don't make weekly visits to a strip is possible? It could be of cheaper material, (maybe steel rather than aluminum), fewer pieces, less machining for the jr. version.
If it's at the _same_ level as the exhaust it will need to withstand speed bump scrapes. Exhausts are hung low so as to be dented before less forgiving parts.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
It's great that someone with the requisite background is doing this. Now... is is feasable to do a cheaper one (you knew that was coming ;-) for the moderate performance crowd? I know nothing about the costs of making the thing, only that running a machine shop is not cheap. But perhaps something simple for people who don't make weekly visits to a strip is possible? It could be of cheaper material, (maybe steel rather than aluminum), fewer pieces, less machining for the jr. version.
If it's at the _same_ level as the exhaust it will need to withstand speed bump scrapes. Exhausts are hung low so as to be dented before less forgiving parts.[/b]
Well, its actually about a quarter inch higher than the exhaust.. And, yes, with that in mind I built it to start as basically a skidplate for the diff, then braced and bolted it in and mounted the tabs and bushed lateral tension arms..

And, it "is" steel, steel is actually more expensive, but, its the only way I can get both the clearance and strength in such a tight space. I wish I could make it out of aluminum, believe me that would be cheaper and easier to machine but it wouldn't hold up from what I can tell.

The diff is covered on 3 sides with supports and plates. That cost $$$ but its its the only way I could make sure this thing can hold up to anything we throw at it. I also thought out the install to make sure it wouldn't require diff removal. Installation time should be about 20 mins max.

As far as a redesign for "street", I doubt I can do it. I don't think I can change the design much, I can only choose less expensive components but the basic design will be the same.

Dunno, the first one is always the most expensive, usually I can find cheaper vendors for parts after finalizing everything.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Once more, I'm in. Make it and I'll buy it.[/b]
+1 Even though I have too many other things on the list, this is something that would save me $ later. Also would this be replacing anything as it will it replace the front mount or would upgrading the front mount bushings also be needed like the PG one that I dont think is available yet.

121 - 140 of 253 Posts