Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I really hope so. I'm excited to see what the 6 will be like with some of the tech and improvements in the CX-9. Fingers crossed for SkyActiv 2 engines.
I was really hoping for the SkyActiv 2 engine when the next gen is released, but it looks like the Diesel will be the stop gap for 2-3 more years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think the US is going to get any new diesels anytime soon, VW ruined the public's perception of diesel engines. It's likely not worth Mazda's time and effort to certify the engines to US standards.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was really hoping for the SkyActiv 2 engine when the next gen is released, but it looks like the Diesel will be the stop gap for 2-3 more years.
Not a stop gap, the SA2 will be released first in the 3....

I don't think the US is going to get any new diesels anytime soon, VW ruined the public's perception of diesel engines. It's likely not worth Mazda's time and effort to certify the engines to US standards.
We will see the diesel at the end of 2017 in the CX-5

6 will probably get diesel in the next US gen. Looks like it will take a couple more years
Im thinking we will see the diesel in the 6 sometime in 2018...

Chris

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if the 3 will get the diesel before the Cruze TDI starts hitting the market. 52MPG highway? Hate to say it, but for a commuter like me that's a thought. Plus the Cruze Sportback will have the diesel option AND a MT next year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mazda 6 Diesel wagon M/T

Please just bring the diesel wagon 6!
So, why not get the wagon here? There are actually a lot of us that would prefer a wagon - not all of us care for the SUV craze, and the driving experience of the wagon is like a sedan with the utility of a mid-size suv.
Frankly, the design - looks of the Mazda 6 wagon is one of the very best out there. Would have bought that in a second if I had the chance.
They are available in Europe... can it be so hard to bring them here?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes it's possible... But a huge headache. You have to hire a customs broker. You have to de-register the car from where it's coming from. If it's coming to California, you have to switch out all the manifolds and put in the California legal ones and go pass Smog.

Looks like it would be about 2 - 2.5 months to get your car and about $2000 shipping paperwork another $2000 for Smogging. Just a really big headache

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It looks like we are getting an updated version compared to what is currently available in Europe.

2018 Mazda CX-5 Diesel Is a Car Worth Waiting For | Feature | Car and Driver

Revisions to the engine’s injector design and injection strategy will help the 2.2 exceed the 173 horsepower it makes in the rest of the world. Drivability and NVH also will be improved over that engine, which chugs out 310 pound-feet of torque.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I love the idea but North America is a very hostile place right now for a small diesel. I hope they can get this done without any emissions "scandals" like the other big producers of diesels. VW is stopping selling then here too. Tough times to bring them here, I feel Mazda is about 15yrs too late.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I love the idea but North America is a very hostile place right now for a small diesel. I hope they can get this done without any emissions "scandals" like the other big producers of diesels. VW is stopping selling then here too. Tough times to bring them here, I feel Mazda is about 15yrs too late.
When it comes to cars, Americans can hold a terrible grudge. Say the word DIESEL and images such as Oldsmobile and Peugot will come to mind. That was over 30yrs ago. What's funny is that people seem to gravitate to diesel pickups with hardly any hesitation despite their demons (Ford NaviStar, 1st gen GM Duramax, etc) yet diesel cars get much more scrutiny.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Diesel trucks have a lower standard for emissions.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Which wasn't my point. FWIW I agree that truck diesels get away with more pollution than a car diesel, which is partially why the US automakers fuel the truck./SUV craze. My point was that truck diesels are just as prone to failure as car diesels, but people hold car diesels to a higher standard... or it's just the continued US stigma that trucks>cars as daily drivers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Diesel 2013 Mazda 6 Touring sedan (aluminium) in South Australia - this is, without doubt, the best Mazda I've had (3) with a ridiculous amount of torque and fantastic economy.
Not sure why USA doesn't like diesels but this thing is phenomenal...I would do a round trip of 1800km at 5 minutes notice for work and would, on a good day (tail wind) see 5.5 to 6km / 100L...and have seen under 5L / 100km at 110km average - that's just over half a bucket of fuel for 60 miles.- most times I will see around 6 to 6.2L / 100 km.
We have road trains here with 3 trailers - that's probably around 40m long - and overtaking them is effortless though the transmission can take a little while to think about it - paddleshift down first and it accelerates very nicely.
I also pull a boat or car trailer - did a 650km round trip on the weekend pulling the car trailer with a 600kg car (1963 mini) and managed 8.8L / 100km at 100kmh average which is sensational.
One issue - the engine oil can grow - original service intervals were set at 5000km and the factory recommendation is 10000km so the engine would go into "don't drive me" mode at 5000km...fixed with a computer.
The ONLY thing I don't like about the car is the stereo - the Bose system is crap - it will work for hours on bluetooth and then suddenly drop out for a couple of seconds - then, when it returns, the music will skip forward every few seconds....sometimes turning the radio off / on helps.
And, the speech recognition on phone calls is awful reading out the options every time - my Mazda BT50 has none of these problems and just prompts with a beep.
On phone connections, it oftens drops out and starts reading the options again even though the call is successful - have to press the phone button again and it goes back to the call.

·
Registered
3 Posts
we've had diesel 6's in Australia for years - my first was 2009 - and I now have a 2.2L 2013 sedan - my wife has a 2011 mazda 3 diesel - these things go like scalded cats...phenomenally quick and will blow your mind compared to the petrol version. economy is amazing too - we see 15L for a 300km trip - that's about 4 US gallons for 190 miles.
I pull boat and car trailers and regularly see 8.8 L / 100km or better pulling the car trailer with a small car at 100kmh (60 MPH).
Torque is amazing and these things can climb hills like no other vehicle - they have massive torque from about 1800 rpm up to about 4000 rpm and the paddle shift is great fun on windy stuff...very assured handling.
I don't like the bose sound system - awful thing on bluetooth.
You must drive them reasonable distances regularly to avoid problems with the diesel particulate filter - which auto burns in any case if done right - and the engine oil can 'grow'.
I love them...brilliant car.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts