Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 2013 Mazda 6 Limited Wagon Diesel. First TD I've owned and I'm a convert. Good economy and respectable power (even compared to my last car, a Falcon G6E Turbo).

Took it in for its 40,000km service a couple of weeks ago and was told that they will be holding onto it for a couple of days due to a recall on the turbo charger and vacuum pump - they had to be replaced. As it was a safety recall they put me in a brand new Mazda 3. I finally got my car back a week later. The technician assigned to my car got the flu and was out of action for a couple of days and when they put it back together there was no boost and this took a couple of days to figure out. A T-pipe was blocked with swarf from the manufacturing process.

When I got the car back the first weekend was a trip away (350km round trip on the open road). First thing I noticed was the fuel economy was right down. On the open road I normally average 6-6.5L/100km but this trip was 10L/100km - the worst I've recorded by far. Went back to the Mazda service and was told that because the engine management computer had been reset the car had to learn my driving style again. Huh??? The car didn't do this from brand new - it was economical right from the start. I have been closely monitoring the cars performance and economy since the turbo work and the economy is 1.5-2L/100km off what it was before. At a steady 100km/hr on the flat it used to be doing 4-4.5L/100km now its 5.5-6. The performance is also down. It doesn't have the same low down torque and pull it used to. It revs more, holding onto the gears longer under gentle to moderate acceleration and from a standing start it is sluggish eventually getting to 100km/hr.

I have taken it back and the Mazda service dept had it for a day checking everything out. Nothing wrong they say. The computer is still learning my driving style - this is after 3 tanks of diesel.

Has anyone else been through this safety recall requiring a turbo and vacuum pump replacement and is your car the same as before?

I'm not sure what I can do from here but I want my car sorted out. The service dept at my local Mazda dealership has been really good up to now but this is disappointing. I'm sure they will eventually sort it out if I keep at them.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quite a few UK cars have been affected the camshaft recall also on the 2.2d engines. Not my car personally so cannot speak of quantities etc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Mike,

I just had my car in for a 50,000km service, and had the recall done. I had absolutely no idea about it until they had told me after it had been done. Nothing was done with my turbos, they said it was fine. They just did a full engine oil flush and upgraded the oil filter. They also replaced the vacuum pump i was told.

Now i didn't really notice anything before that, but i did start to think that the engine was sounding a little more grumbly then it used to when i first bought it. Didn't think too much of it.

But after the service, the engine has become a lot more quiet, much much smoother, and it pulls effortlessly from low down. And I'm really surprised but the fuel economy has also come right down! I normally get about 7L/100km in city driving, but now its dropped to 6.4L/100km doing the same driving.

So far so good, but haven't experienced anything like what you've experienced.

Have Mazda been able to provide you with a fix?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts