Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to share my leasing story to see if this kind of thing has happened to anyone else, or if I'm just an unlucky bastard. I didn't mention any names, personal or professional, but if you read through it, the other Calgarians out there will know which dealership it was.

A few months ago, in August, I was flipping through a newpaper and noticed an ad for Mazda's year end sales event to get rid of their 06' models. I'd always wanted a Mazda6, and since I didn't have a car at the time and had a few grand saved I figured I'd try to lease myself a 6.

So I went to all 3 dealerships here in Calgary. The first dealership I went to was in the NE. The salesguy I talked to was really helpful and friendly, but he didn't have the 6i GT I wanted in stock, so I decided to check out some of the others. (I LATER found out all 3 dealerships are owned by the same guy and share their inventory). I went to the NW dealership, and although their selection was limited, I still looked around and talked with one of the sales guys. I told him what I wanted, and he told me

"Sure, no problem, I can get it for you. What color do you want?" I gave him my top 3 color picks, and he went off to see what he could do. He comes back and tells me he can order the car, but I need to put something down as a deposit and that $500 would do fine. I put it on my Visa. Meanwhile, he starts writing up my credit report request papers, and his boss comes in and tells him he can't get the car I want. In fact, there's not a single 6i GT left in all of Canada. So he says
"No problem, let me show you what I have in stock." and takes me out to the lot. It was a toss up between a Blue 6s fully loaded (EVERYTHING, right down to the 6 spd auto and navi system), and a 6i Grand Touring package in that ... odd... Black Cherry Mica. Not a bad color, but I just can't see myself driving it. I loved the 6s, but it was just way out of my price range. It would have been about $100 per month more than I wanted to pay. But the sales guy would not let it go, no matter how many times I told him I couldn't afford it. Threw offers and deals at me left and right, but just couldn't get it under the $400 a month limit I had set myself. I eventually told him 'I'd think about it, and get back to you' just to get him off my back.

Off to the next dealership. We (my friend and I) drove literally from one corner of the city to the other just to see what they had. After walking around their lot and seeing their stock we headed inside to ask some questions. The girl working the desk paged for a "Sales Associate OR Manager" THREE times, and we sat in the show room for 45 minutes. No one so much as asked us if needed anything. Mind you, I was wearing board shorts and a hoody, I wasn't looking impressive, and certainly not wealthy haha. So to hell with that place, we drove back to the first place I had checked.

I talked with the same sales guy again, and we discussed options, since my car wasn't available. We eventually found a nice 6i with Sports Package in Tungsten Metallic Grey IN STOCK. Wasn't Manual, but the 5spd manumatic is still pretty fun, and after I nice test drive, I decided it was great for me. We did all the paper work, credit request, deposit payment, all that good stuff.
The business manager there calls me back 3 days later, and tells me my credit was approved, and to come by that day around 3pm and we'll finalize everything.

This is where it gets bad.

2 weeks later, my CEL goes off, so I call them to make an appointment. (That's a whole other story). A few days later, before I had brought my car in, the business manager calls me to remind me that I need to get them my insurance quote. I drop my car off, and leave the insurance quote in his mailbox. I go to pick up my car later that afternoon, and they tell me they can't release my car to me until I talk to the business manager. Ok, I go talk to him. He says to me ;
"Hey, umm......Mazda Canada thinks you're paying too much for insurance, and that you won't be able to afford the car."

...What the f*#k? You tell me this NOW!?
I'm a 21 year old MALE, living in ALBERTA, driving a BRAND NEW CAR. What the hell did they expect? I pay about $260 a month, less than I had budgeted when I was considering this purchase.
He tells me he'll look into it and that he'll get back to me later that week. The week comes and goes, and no call. In fact, a MONTH goes by, and no call. The payment date was the 29th of each month, and no money was taken from my account. I thought there might be a problem with my account info, so I call the business manager, and ask him what's up?
He tells me that this insurance quote thing was messing up the finalization of my lease, and thats why no money was taken out. He then gives me 2 options ;
1. Get a co-signer (impossible)
2. Make more money
I work part-time since I plan to go back to the school in Feb. I was ALREADY making more than enough money to afford the car, but the car payments and insurance payments TOGETHER equaled 51% of my gross income, and although I have no other major financial cumberance (I live with parents), that wasn't good enough for them. I was (and had been) trying to get a better position at work. I told him I'd 'try'. Not much else I COULD say.

More weeks go by, and every few days he would call me and ask me what was up, that they need a paystub showing me making more money, or they need a co-signer. Weeks of this harassment. I managed to get a better position at work, and even got a raise, but I told him it would take time for me to get a pay stub to them, at LEAST 2 weeks. That didn't stop them from calling me every now and then. I finally got fed up and went to our family's lawyer, and explained the situation to him.
I had brought all my paper work and everything, figuring I'd have to fight on Mazda on this. But when I told him the story, he just smiled and said
"Give me their phone number, and give me your phone number." and I went home.
Within a few hours my lawyer calls me back. Tells me that Mazda f*#ked up, and that they even ADMITTED (to him, but never to me) that they f*#ked up, and they want to fix this as soon and as painlessly as possible. My lawyer told them to cool their jets, it would take time, stop harassing his client.

So I finally get my pay stub, and fax it to the business manager. He calls me to confirm he got it, and tells me he'll give it to Mazda Canada Financing. That was last week.

A few days ago, he calls me back. He calls me 4 times on my cell (I was at work) and twice at home, and finally caught me when I driving home.
NOW he tells me that although I'm making enough MONTHLY to afford this car, my year-to-date earnings don't properly reflect my monthly income.

NO S*#T. I JUST got the promotion less than a month ago. Now they're asking me for a Letter of Employment from Human Resources department. The company I work for is huge, thousands of employees, and as a result, our Human Resources if OFF SITE. I have to call them and request the letter, and then my manager has to APPROVE the letter, and all of this can takes months. I called my lawyer after getting off the phone with Mazda, and he just told me to humor them. Get the letter and take my sweet time in doing it. Mazda can't repo my car (which I explained to him was one of my fears in all of this) without breeching contract.

Phew.

That's my lease story. Has anyone else had this kinda stuff happen to them when they leased their car??

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Yours is huge situation compared to mine... But in some cases quite similar...

I had signed and finalized EVERYTHING.. Credit approved, proof of insurance, proof of income, and a fairly decent down payment already cashed, plus all that other crap. All I needed to do was to pick the car up in 3 days.. The day BEFORE i was to pick the car up, the sales manager calls up and says, that I could not get approved for the lease because of a creditline I had at the time that came out on the credit report. He even had the fucking nerve to ask me how I'm going to pay it down! That's none of his fucking business!! And this is all after the fact that they already told me that everything was good to go!!!! The asshole stressed me out coz I had already arranged insurance (there are negative effects when you cancel - monetary and record wise), and possibly not get my down payment back too!!!!

What's weird is that the scheduled date to pick the car up, the sales person that helped the deal gives me a call and asks where the hell I was coz I didn't show up to pick the car up. I explained the story, and she said that the sales manager is being a dick and shouldn't give a fuck at all since everything has all been inked.. So I ended up picking the car up, no problems...

I dunno.. Must be a common thing to get harassed by sales managers.. Part of their mandate maybe.. Fucking pricks..

·
Registered
286 Posts
That is a little weird. I would blame Mazda Canada or the dealership for not doing their job. If you have been approved for leasing a car from them, it should be the end of it. Unless the manager jumped the gun and approved the deal before the approval from Mazda Canada. I could see that happen too.
I would guess that your lease payment is very close to the limit (usually a percentage of your income) and they need more detail on your monthly expense. I was approved within half a hour and they only needed my annual income and my mortgage payment. But that shouldn't be your problem, they could have rejected your application and that would be the end of the story.
The manager highly likely jumped the gun before the approval and thought that your application is good. Then he found out that it's no good after you signed the deal.
My suggestion will be to take all your money back or just assume the deal is still good and you don't have to do anything. If they think you can't afford it, ask them for your money back and give the car back, otherwise tell them to shut the hell up since they screwed up.
But if you are tight on the budget, don't stretch yourself too much by leasing something you can barely afford. You have to make the payment for the whole lease term and if something comes up out of nowhere that you have to spend a bit extra you would be screwed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nah, I make more than enough to cover the cost of the car, but to THEM, they think it's too much. It's no longer 51% of my gross, it's about 30% now with my new position, and I always have my Visa should anything break or get stolen.

My lawyer and I discussed this. He thinks they're trying to piss me off enough for me to break contract, in which case they'll take my miss monthly payments, my down payment, and a hefty fee for breaking contract. And since everything has been done over the phone thus far, and therefore 'unofficial', anyone that were to review my file (like their defense attorney for example) would see the contract signed, me missing some payments, and then me breaking contract.

Wouldn't look good for me if it had to be taken to court.

I'll just wait for them to fire the first shot. My lawyer is quite comfortable with our position, and just told me to print off my bank statement every month showing the money waiting for Mazda, should they try to accuse me of missing my payments.

Either way, if someone had done their job, I wouldn't have driven away in that car. I would have gone somewhere else and/or maybe gotten a Mazda3 or something else cheaper.

·
Registered
286 Posts
50% of your gross income seems a bit high, I thought I read 30%-40%max somewhere. But that is irrelevant at this moment, somehow you have been approved by someone since you took the car. For example, I buy a TV for 100 bucks. I take it home and three months later the store phones me that they make a mistake, the TV is 1000 bucks and I owe them 900. It doesn't work that way.
I agree with your lawyer, they have nothing against you as long as you make the payment. So just let them fix their screw up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wen to the dealer here in Van, and they checked my credit, said they needed to do more checking, and just pushed the thing through, Never callled me again. They wanted a whole list of stuff, i just ignored it and I when I put 4000kms on it the frist month I had it, i guess they don't want it anymore :p

You situation seems rough. Don't sweat it, they would loose money y taking it back at this point, just tell them to shove it!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for sharing the story. Its good to have this out there in case it does happen to anyone else.

Bottom line, the reason they were freaking out so much about it is becuase they [email protected]#$ed up. They were trying to cover their own butts by getting you to do things that either they forgot to do before they handed you the car or to cover up the fact that they forgot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts