Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I sit in my 2017 manual. I think, "Let me see how engine sound if revved hard", for the first time in 2.5 years. Bum! At 4K rpm it is done, can't go no more. Then, I tried it again while in neutral with car moving - voila. Can rev passed 4K

·
Registered
651 Posts
Are you saying the car can't rev past 4k?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think he's saying that when stopped, and in gear, the logic module will not allow you to rev above 4000 rpm's. Whereas, when you have road-speed - it DOES allow this (when slipped into neutral). When in neutral (and running down the road) it may be that the clutch pedal is NOT being depressed. It may be that when stopped, obviously - if in gear, the clutch pedal IS depressed.

Why do we need to do greater than 4000 rpm launches? Just abusive on the clutch.

Ida know...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think he's saying that when stopped, and in gear, the logic module will not allow you to rev above 4000 rpm's. Whereas, when you have road-speed - it DOES allow this (when slipped into neutral). When in neutral (and running down the road) it may be that the clutch pedal is NOT being depressed. It may be that when stopped, obviously - if in gear, the clutch pedal IS depressed.

Why do we need to do greater than 4000 rpm launches? Just abusive on the clutch.

Ida know...
I tried doing this for a launch, the second time I raced. I fully depressed the brakes and then hit the accelerator. Once I'm past 2500 RPM, it will revert to normal idle RPM. That is, after 5 seconds.

I think it will not allow you to launch at a certain RPM. I just can't remember at what RPM but once I hit it, it will go back to idle RPM.

·
Registered
987 Posts
It might relate to the PCM control of NOT allowing the throttle to be depressed while the brake pedal is depressed. You may remember the Toyota runaways? There were people pushing the accelerator and the brake together. When engine vacuum dropped (i.e. with the throttle applied...) the effectiveness of the power brake "hydrovac" diminished, and it was hard to stop the car. Mfrs put in an arrangement that did not allow brake pedal and accelerator to be pushed simultaneously.

Others???

Now, I had wondered, before I bought my 6, whether I could successfully heel and toe... on my manual transmission 6. You know, you operate the brake, while pivoting your foot, to operate the throttle (at the same time, i.e. simultaneously) when you double-clutch down a gear or two. I can. So, it does not cut out throttle immediately. Mazda DID retain some sport-driving capability. Good on them!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you saying the car can't rev past 4k?
This is exactly that. But I will revisit what conditions must be met for this. I believe, I did it with clutch released while standing in neutral. Don't remember if parking brake was applied. Probably not. Car was basically sitting on leveled surface.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did this again in my 2017 Mt Mazda6. Results
  • Standing - no movement: clutch/no clutch; brake/no brake -- 4K RPM MAX
  • Car is rolling: clutch/no clutch; car revvs past 4K RPM

·
Registered
987 Posts
I guess, why when the car is not moving, would you want to rev it more than 4000rpm? Dumping the clutch at higher RPM is hard on the clutch... So this behaviour of the logic module does not hinder me. I'm fine with it.

Thx for advising, Slavuta.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess, why when the car is not moving, would you want to rev it more than 4000rpm? Dumping the clutch at higher RPM is hard on the clutch... So this behaviour of the logic module does not hinder me. I'm fine with it.

Thx for advising, Slavuta.
NP. Look, I don't mind. This is just something I discovered. In fact, I never rev my cars in neutral unless I do some related repair. I was just sitting in a car with a doggie. And I thought, what would be his reaction to the engine revving. Given, he got alerted, I did little higher and higher, then at 4K it was no more... :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts