Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I go with another one of my questions.

I am looking for lowering springs, not coilovers. I do not want coilovers because they cost too much and I am not looking for serious track performance or ultra low drops. I just want to get rid of wheel gap + manage the body roll/squat/dive a little better.

I am looking at:

H&R Sport Spring Set - $231
Mazdaspeed Sport Spring Kit -$300
Each Drop the car approx. 1.4 inches

My question is has anyone gotten aftermarket springs with out changing the stock shocks? Do the springs excessively wear out the shocks or any other suspension part? Is there anything else I should know about before I make my purchase?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
There's a seperate section for this, with existing, searchable info.

If you go with RPM springs, you wouldn't have to worry. But, for those other kits that lower the car a substantial amount, you can expect your shocks lifespan to decrease significantly.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (IHeartGroceries @ Feb 1 2010, 12:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633778
There's a seperate section for this, with existing, searchable info.

If you go with RPM springs, you wouldn't have to worry. But, for those other kits that lower the car a substantial amount, you can expect your shocks lifespan to decrease significantly.[/b]
Are you talking about the regular Mazda 6 suspension section? I will check that out. So just to clarify, you are telling me RPM springs won't decrease my shock lifespan but the other kits I mentioned will because they lower the car too much?

EDIT:
Oh Snap! I never noticed the subforums at the top of the main page after all the months I have been here. LOL. My bad.

EDIT 2:
After reading the majority of that long ass RPM spring thread, those seem like a good choice, although I wish the drop was a few mm more. I will probably end up getting them.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
i had the H&R's and loved them. they dont make mazdaspeed spring for the mazdaspeed 6 (go figure lol) thats just a typo on the mazda website. i had them for about 22k miles with stock shocks and never had a problem. yes they will decrease the lifespan but we do have kyb shocks stock which are pretty good and even if you needed to replace 1 damper you can find them REALLY cheap on here used.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have 60k miles on my car with Megan Springs (2" drop) and my stock shocks are still good.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
QUOTE (6DereK6 @ Feb 1 2010, 08:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633818
I have 60k miles on my car with Megan Springs (2" drop) and my stock shocks are still good.[/b]
Good info.
Though, some have reported less stellar results. May depend on driving habbits and road conditions as well.
But, yeah. There's alot of guys here running springs with their OE shocks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I changed out my struts and shocks...but mostly because my car already had almost 50000 miles on the stock stuff when I made the change. There's no way they would have held up. Also, you want to keep in mind how much rate increase your new springs have over the O.E. ones. The stock struts/shocks can only handle about a 10% increase before you'd want to upgrade anyway. Besides, the front is all apart to replace the springs anyway and the rear is about halfway there. I'd replace them.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've got 53K miles on the RPM Street springs (which I recommend over the 3 you listed) and the stock shocks, and it is still holding up well. They say you're supposed to replace your shocks every 50k miles anyway, so I'm sure I'm about due. I'll be putting some Bilsteins on when the time comes.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
QUOTE (zoomnbyu @ Feb 1 2010, 10:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633845
I changed out my struts and shocks...but mostly because my car already had almost 50000 miles on the stock stuff when I made the change. There's no way they would have held up. Also, you want to keep in mind how much rate increase your new springs have over the O.E. ones. The stock struts/shocks can only handle about a 10% increase before you'd want to upgrade anyway. Besides, the front is all apart to replace the springs anyway and the rear is about halfway there. I'd replace them.[/b]
ms6 shocks > 6s shocks

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Apperently my car has had lowering springs since it was new. I have 67k miles on the car now with no issues yet. Ride isn't the smoothest. I can't compare it to stock since the car was lowered when i got it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had my RPM springs for 25k miles and my shocks feel blown out. It is hard to notice the gradual wearing out if you drive the car a lot. I just noticed recently because I haven't been driving the car very much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts