Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering who has taken the time to adjust their clutch pedal from stock in order to make it less sensitive. I was going to do it, but I have been lazy. This is just a curiousity poll. Thanks!

Link to adjustment topics if you are scratching your head about this poll ==> http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=59565

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i must have been asleep back in april i don't remember the orignal thread.

i'll have to give this a try. i've noticed that now with 15k miles on the car the engagement traveled a little farther towards the floor.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
i have 5 sports cars and they all have very diffrent clutches so the speed6 clutch didnt realy bother me all that much

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i did, i'll give it a shot this weekend. there should have been an option for "will you try now that you're aware?" or some shit.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Gotcha. It feels slightly better, but to me, even though its easier, it just feels less fun. I'm going to adjust mine back this weekend. Put more punch into driving it (and not letting others drive it, or win money off bets that they'll stall in the car)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man... after all of the conversations and threads about the clutch adjustment I thought that a ton of people would have adjusted the pedal. I have not and I most likely won't be doing it. I love the uniqueness of it.

And I have never stalled the car.... ever.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've not adjusted the clutch, but did not like your choices. There should be one that says "No, 'cause I love the clutch the way it is." When you say "it's not that bad," you imply that you don't like it, but it is not worth the trouble to change. I think the fact that so few who voted have changed the clutch means that this largely experienced group of drivers like it as it comes from the factory. They bought a performance car with a performance clutch. I'd just as soon have a soft suspension as a soft clutch.
:love:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I've not adjusted the clutch, but did not like your choices. There should be one that says "No, 'cause I love the clutch the way it is." When you say "it's not that bad," you imply that you don't like it, but it is not worth the trouble to change. I think the fact that so few who voted have changed the clutch means that this largely experienced group of drivers like it as it comes from the factory. They bought a performance car with a performance clutch. I'd just as soon have a soft suspension as a soft clutch.
[/b]

i adjusted my clutch, and when i first got the car i was like against adjusting it. well i finally did, it took 5 minutes, and the car is MUCH better now.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It's how it was designed - kind of like making your wife get plastic surgery. If you didn't like it when you fell in love with it, why marry it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You jest my friend.
[/b]
No, I am serious. I really have never stalled the car. Not even on the test drive. Of course I only have 3k on it so far.

[/b]
That is what the OTHER is for. I couldn't add everyone's opinion. :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Obviously I voted yes, since I wrote up the detailed how-to. It really only takes 5-10 minutes to try out, and if you don't like it, you can return it to the way it was if you marked the bolt and tracked how many times you turned it. If you look at the original thread, on post #135:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...9565&st=120
you'll see I kept track of who had posted that they had adjusted their pedal. As of Nov. 2nd there were 37 members that had posted up that they had done it and were happy with the results. One or two others have done so since, so the total is close to 40 now. How many decided to go back to the way it was before? I'm not sure.

If you're not having problems with how your clutch operates, leave it.

I don't know why there is so much dissension and strong opinions like this. It's like arguing if the steering wheel position should be moved from the way it came. Every steering wheel will not necessarily be in exactly the same position when each of us takes delivery. It may be great where it is for one person, but not for somebody else. That's why they put the tilt and telescoping function in. Do all cars have it? No. But ours do, so let those of us that want to, make use of it. Granted the clutch adjustment is not as simple as adjusting the tilt and telescoping position, but it's still there. If it makes some people's driving experience better, then we should be all happy for them. Nobody is forcing anybody to adjust their clutch.

Lastly, and this was covered in the thread, there may be differences in how the clutch is set up from car to car. So, unless somebody can actually try out somebody else's car and state from first hand experience that both of the clutch actions are identical, and the accuser can drive both smoothly while the accused can't, it's really arrogant and presumptious to assume everybody else just doesn't know how to drive.

One other point, some people make statements that the MS6 is a "performance" clutch, and somehow chainging the clutch engagement point in the travel of the pedal diminishes it's status. I don't remember replacing any parts or changing out the pressure plate. How does adjusting where the clutch engages in the stroke of the pedal lessen it's "performance", especially if it's helping it to grab closer to the floor, after being released? Some people may have a driving style which works better with a clutch that engages high up in the travel; great for them I say. Let me adjust mine to the way I like.

I remember old Porsches had stiff and recalcitrant gear boxes, making shifting a chore. Would that be considered a "performance" gearbox and any effort to make it shift slicker and smoother "lessening" it? Since these same people seem to see others who want to make their clutch's less difficult to operate as "lesser skilled", mabye these same people would like to get Mazda to put some sand in their gearbox cables to make them harder to shift. This way they can continue to prove how much "better" they are than all of us newbs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I Love the clutch the way it is. In fact, I love the car the way it is...

The MS6 is a performance car, and changing gears is the biggest part of the fun, even if this seems to be challenging for some. This is not an automatic or semi-automatic car. At Mazda, the alternative is the regular 6, either automatic or with a more straighforward MTX.

Newer Porsches (at least the Boxster models) come with a clutch pedal that produces a "click" at the position where it is safe to change gears.

G

·
To each his own on the poll - by the way a good idea. The adjustment, which I have done, does not make for a "soft" clutch. It just changes the engagement point.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I made an adjustment and the result was much improved over stock - at least for me. Any debate on whether the clutch should be adjusted are a waste of time - if you like it the way it is, leave it - if you don't like it, adjust it (maybe that's why they made it adjustable??????).

As for not changing it because it's a "Performance" clutch :sarc: , that's silly. I hope that those who left it the way it was, did so because they preferred it that way and not because it's a "Performance" clutch and should be that way. Speaking with my service advisor, the first thing he did on their demo was adjust the clutch - in his opinion, the thing was not set up correctly at the factory.

·
Registered
672 Posts
It's how it was designed - kind of like making your wife get plastic surgery. If you didn't like it when you fell in love with it, why marry it?
[/b]
Maybe more people would do plastic surgery on their wives if it was free and only took 15 minutes with two wrenches and a flashlight :nana:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
[/b]
This is an inappropriate analogy. You're talking about changing somebody's appearance. This is not a cosmetic mod. A more appropriate analogy is that this wife cooks all steaks well done. After you get married you ask her if she might be able to cook your steak medium rare. Both ways result in cooked steak, but one is more what you'd prefer. Some other man might be totally happy with well done steak, so he wouldn't have requested that change.

Funny thing is, if this was discussing a cosmetic change on the MS6, like swapping out the rear spoiler for a wing, or tinting the windows with silver reflective film instead of black/gray, most people would be much more open minded and accepting of individual tastes and needs. They may not like it themselves but they can accept the other person's choice. Why does this not apply to something subtle like a clutch adjustment? Maybe because accepting different tastes when it comes to looks is PC? Sure seems to indicate some opinionated, intolerant and judgemental attitudes under the surface.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I think Super Car Tastes's analogy was much better, except don't let the wife cook your steak man. A steak has to be cooked a certain way. Just go to Ruth's Criss or Morton's and avoid the whole wife cooking issue. It should be something like, if your wife did the laundry a certain way as to leave your shirts unpressed, but you wanted them pressed....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts