Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the Airbox mod today- It kick ass!, I didnt think it would be so good, but its better than I thought, I know its no CAI, but its all good for now, I like it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, I did this a while back. It was my first mod to my 6 and I loved the sound that came from the engine bay! What a roar! But now I have a CP-E MAFci system and it kicks some serious rear... if you get a chance to own one and install it, you'll see what I mean... :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
are we talking about removing the lower airbox here?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
are we talking about removing the lower airbox here? [/b]
Removing the tuba, flapper, and tray from the airbox.

I did this on thursday, and, HOLY CRAP. It's nice :love:

Regarding HP gains, I'm not too sure about that, it feels a little peppier, but only a dyno can tell.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Removing the tuba, flapper, and tray from the airbox.

I did this on thursday, and, HOLY CRAP. It's nice :love:

Regarding HP gains, I'm not too sure about that, it feels a little peppier, but only a dyno can tell.
[/b]
According to some dynos I've seen, there is a small HP gain when doing this, something like 4-5hp. How much HP does a CAI add anyway? I was wondering that..

·
Registered
436 Posts
not much more than that
[/b]
Maybe with the K&N or AEM.

The Injen with CPE fix gets near 17-20, CPE MAFci is generally over 20.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, I think the CP-E MAFci system dynoed at 15-20HP increase. Itz the most increase that I know of for all the intakes that I've seen. The Injen with the MAFci fix comes close but the CP-E MAFci piping is slightly bigger in diameter, which allows for more airflow... increasing HP gains.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ya but when you consider...

air box mod 0 dollars and 5 hp
cpe 530 dollars, and 20 hp

Not a bad deal for the box mod eh?
[/b]
touche :D

But think about this... after a while of hearing your air box mod, you're gonna want to hear what a CAI sounds like... so I think eventually, you're gonna go for a CAI in the end. Trust me, the sound and throttle response is a world of difference! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
wow i am really jealous... with the Z the best intake can get you MAYBE 10 whp... I have an Injen CAI and I got 8 whp... the only thing you get 15-20 whp (NA at least) is a cam or internal upgrade. I have a true dual exhaust, headers, intake, plenum manifold spacer, and a computer mangement/tune and I only gained about 40 whp overall at the most, more like 30 whp

·
Registered
41 Posts
The thing to remember is that the airbox on the 6 really is a front end muffler. There are alot of compromises on this car to make it more 'camry-buyer friendly'.

The 350Z already caters to the people who want a loud fun car. So it isn't so much that the 6 has more growth potential, it is that it starts with more handicaps.

Edit:
I meant ot ask this earlier-
Why is it that people remove the tuba?
The way I see it, it looks like the tuba is meant to be an overflow to stop the airbox from over-presurising (which I assume would cause problems with a sudden drop in RPM). It doesn't look like it is meant to be an intake.
But when you remove it the airflow changes, now you have air being rammed into the airbox from the main intake, and HOT air being rammed in from the radiator. This leaves the side intake (originally covered with the flapper) as the escape route. Which makes me think half the air you're sucking in is comming from the rad...

I can't compare tuba to non-tuba since I didn't try driving around without it, but I can attest that you still get a nice boost in response with the tuba in place.

·
Registered
935 Posts
wow i am really jealous... with the Z the best intake can get you MAYBE 10 whp... I have an Injen CAI and I got 8 whp... the only thing you get 15-20 whp (NA at least) is a cam or internal upgrade. I have a true dual exhaust, headers, intake, plenum manifold spacer, and a computer mangement/tune and I only gained about 40 whp overall at the most, more like 30 whp
[/b]
Word. Fellow Z owner (former mazda6 owner) here. It's great that the Z's engine system is designed so well that the factory-supplied intake and exhaust plumbing pretty much optimize performance. However it is kinda crappy that you have to spend really big $$$ to feel any significant change in power/torque. For less money you can make it sound real pretty :) , but it won't necessarily make you go any faster!

I still miss the difference that my ol' CP-E intake made. Man did that thing scream!

EDIT: As an interesting note, when I was in the process of de-modding my 6 to trade it in for the Z, I called CP-E and asked if they had plans to make any products for the 350z in the future. Namely I was wondering if they would be making a MAFci intake system like they did for the 6. Anthony at CP-E told me that they looked into it but found that the intake on the Z was made so well by Nissan that CP-E couldn't improve it enough to justify the price of their intake system. (This is not a bust on CP-E or their pricing...I thought $500 for the original MAFci was easily worth it!) Thought that was interesting though.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
i love my modded intake, well the sound and the mental feeling of yer car being faster ;)

i highly doubt it is much faster to tell u the truth but boy do i love the engine purr.

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah i guess that is the major factor. Even though it isn't that loud stock, I guess they are very restrictive on the 6 for the "camry-buyer" it makes sense. Still tho, I wish I could make +20 whp from an intake lol

srv110 - Glad to know I'm not the only one here! Are you on my350z.com? I'm a moderator over there, they might get upset if they find out I am spending time on another forum lol. have you done any mods to your Z? Let me know man!

·
Registered
935 Posts
srv110 - Glad to know I'm not the only one here! Are you on my350z.com? I'm a moderator over there, they might get upset if they find out I am spending time on another forum lol. have you done any mods to your Z? Let me know man!
[/b]
Yeah I am on my350z.com, same username (sry110). Not too many mods on the Z yet. First thing I did was new stereo system (re-used amp and component speakers from my system in the 6) with new HU and 10" sub (behind the passenger seat in the cubby), Popcharger like everyone else, clear front bumper reflectors (OEM), JIC y-pipe, Fujitsubo legalis-R stainless from y-pipe back. And if you want to count it as a 'mod' I bought a set of 17"x8.5 SSR Comp-H wheels with Blizzak LM-22's for snow shoes. (I know it's bad to disrespect SSR Comp's by driving them in the winter but I got a good deal on them and didn't want to completely sacrifice my car's appearance for the winter season.)

Whats your handle on 350z? Let me know and I'll holler at you over there.

-steve

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah I am on my350z.com, same username (sry110). Not too many mods on the Z yet. First thing I did was new stereo system (re-used amp and component speakers from my system in the 6) with new HU and 10" sub (behind the passenger seat in the cubby), Popcharger like everyone else, clear front bumper reflectors (OEM), JIC y-pipe, Fujitsubo legalis-R stainless from y-pipe back. And if you want to count it as a 'mod' I bought a set of 17"x8.5 SSR Comp-H wheels with Blizzak LM-22's for snow shoes. (I know it's bad to disrespect SSR Comp's by driving them in the winter but I got a good deal on them and didn't want to completely sacrifice my car's appearance for the winter season.)

Whats your handle on 350z? Let me know and I'll holler at you over there.

-steve
[/b]
same screen name, mrpratt lol sorry i'm not original. How do you like the SSR wheels? People over there are rediculous about wheels, it's crazy. If it's not volk then just go home... actually it's really annoying. Oh well, I am upgrading wheels soon anyway.

You just have your stockers on most of the time?

·
Registered
935 Posts
same screen name, mrpratt lol sorry i'm not original. How do you like the SSR wheels? People over there are rediculous about wheels, it's crazy. If it's not volk then just go home... actually it's really annoying. Oh well, I am upgrading wheels soon anyway.

You just have your stockers on most of the time?
[/b]
Yeah the SSR's are a little small and the offsets are not as low as I would like, but it will do fine for winter...better than steelies! SSR Comps are a really great looking wheel, and not too heavy for their size. I'll take some pics in a few weeks when they go on. Yeah I have a 2006 Z so it came with the nice 18" 5-spokes, like the ones that the 35th anni. version got last year. I have been pretty happy with them, but I think this coming spring I might do a wheel/tire upgrade and offload the stockers. I sure won't be doing Volks or anything...I'd rather pay off a really big chunk of my car than spend 3k on wheels, then another 1k on tires. No thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah the SSR's are a little small and the offsets are not as low as I would like, but it will do fine for winter...better than steelies! SSR Comps are a really great looking wheel, and not too heavy for their size. I'll take some pics in a few weeks when they go on. Yeah I have a 2006 Z so it came with the nice 18" 5-spokes, like the ones that the 35th anni. version got last year. I have been pretty happy with them, but I think this coming spring I might do a wheel/tire upgrade and offload the stockers. I sure won't be doing Volks or anything...I'd rather pay off a really big chunk of my car than spend 3k on wheels, then another 1k on tires. No thanks!
[/b]
i know a good place where you can get some good wheels for cheap, i'll pm you ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts