Mazda 6 Forums banner

Did I waste my money?

2K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  wmoore@mar.med.navy.mil 
#1 ·
I just odered a Typoon K&N. I was told that it was the better of the two for my 05 Mazda6i. Can someone help ASAP. Should I change my order?

#3 ·
I just odered a Typoon K&N. I was told that it was the better of the two for my 05 Mazda6i. Can someone help ASAP. Should I change my order?
[/b]

Is there a direct site that you recommend? I'm only finding stuff that support the so called PIECE...

#4 ·
Autopartswarehouse swears up and down that K&N CAI is better than AEM. They have both. Can someone just tell me what to get?

#5 ·
If you read through this thread:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...669&hl=20hp

you'll get info on hp gains. It should help you make a better decision.

It also depends on which 6 you have. Is it a 4cyl or a 6cyl? If you have the 4, a CAI doesn't make as much an impact on performance as it does on the 6cyl. I have a 4cyl so I opted for the Mazdaspeed CAI. If I had a 6cyl, I probably would have gone a different route. If you're that concerned with your purchase, return it and read up on it to make a better purchase. imho, I would return it. :)

#6 ·
If you read through this thread:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...669&hl=20hp

you'll get info on hp gains. It should help you make a better decision.

It also depends on which 6 you have. Is it a 4cyl or a 6cyl? If you have the 4, a CAI doesn't make as much an impact on performance as it does on the 6cyl. I have a 4cyl so I opted for the Mazdaspeed CAI. If I had a 6cyl, I probably would have gone a different route. If you're that concerned with your purchase, return it and read up on it to make a better purchase. imho, I would return it. :)
[/b]
Based on his replies, he does not want to make a decision - he wants someone else to. ;)

#8 ·
Yeah, they already sent it to me with a traking number. Gets here on Friday. Guess I'll send it back. MAZDASPEED CAI? Is that even better? I'd love to search thru all the forums, like how you tell all the other new guys, but I'm trying to prentend I'm working and switching form window to window isn't very convincing. Thanks for the help, but yeah can one of you guys step up and tell me what I should do? Seriously... I'll read up on things as the years go by.

#10 ·
Yeah, they already sent it to me with a traking number. Gets here on Friday. Guess I'll send it back. MAZDASPEED CAI? Is that even better? I'd love to search thru all the forums, like how you tell all the other new guys, but I'm trying to prentend I'm working and switching form window to window isn't very convincing. Thanks for the help, but yeah can one of you guys step up and tell me what I should do? Seriously... I'll read up on things as the years go by.
[/b]
step up and tell you what to do?

Maybe read the forums after work so you don't get fired?

I have a mazdaspeed cai on my car and I love it.

#11 ·
step up and tell you what to do?

Maybe read the forums after work so you don't get fired?

I have a mazdaspeed cai on my car and I love it.[/b]

#12 ·
You still haven't answered whether you have a 4 or 6. If you have a 4, you're wasting money on an exhaust if you're doing it for hp gains. If you have a 6, there are plenty of options, including tuneable intakes (which you should definitely consider if you have a 6cyl). If you have a 4, just get a Mazdaspeed CAI.

HP gain claims are usually crap. Dyno numbers (like the ones on the thread I provided) are real. The K&N is at the bottom. That should help in your decision.

#13 ·
It's 4. Well, I want it to sound good, too. That's the main reason for the catback. What's the Mazdaspeed CAI cost. Where do I get one?

#14 ·
I bought mine from a board sponsor, JimClickMazdaParts.com during a group buy for a little over $200. There are other board sponsors as well (listed under the Premier Sponsors section of the forum). I think there's a group buy (or was) for them recently. Send an pm to Revenant (moderates the JimClickMazda site) about it.

#15 ·
I wonder if it ever occurred to anybody that Felix was a programmed chat robot, not an actual salesman. How many times must one see "I am checking the information for you! Please bear with me..." Anyway, with the 4-cyl, I'd go with the Mazdaspeed CAI as well. I went that route a couple months ago on my car and the 6 just screams at mid-range to high RPMs. The beautiful part about this intake is the fact that you can still have your car perform at its original quietness and no one will suspect a thing until you open the car up. Coming from a highly-modified Hyundai Tiburon GT that was quite an impractical daily-driver, I'm loving the behavior of my 6i. I'm sure there are mods out there to make it even faster, but I just appreciate the car for what it is and that would be a somewhat grown-up, attractive handling machine.

#18 ·
You still haven't answered whether you have a 4 or 6. [/b]
He answered that in post 1 (2005 6i) and in post 11 he said he had the "4".

The K&N is only a couple horsepower less than AEM and Mazdaspeed. I don't think you will notice that much of a difference between the two.

And here's a dyno for you.

Even the CPE CAI system will give you an average gain of about 8 horsepower and it cost about twice as much. So the K&N isn't that bad.

#19 ·
Agred ^ You will notice a slight gain from any of them. So your all set with the K+N, to waste your money and get a different one makes no sense you wouldnt notice a difference between any of them. Plus do you really need that extra 1 or 2 hp any ways.

#22 ·
how is an intake tunable

how is an intake tuneable
[/b]
From what I read, the only tuneable CAI is the CPE MAF customizer. It has it's own system that allows for tuning unlike others. Do a search and you'll find it. Definetly gonna upgrade, but I'll get the use out of the K&N.

#23 ·
Anything other than CPE is really a placebo effect.

Go for the Injen CAI for something noticeable.

With any SRI, from what I've tried, you just get a whole lot of noise.

#24 ·
as i know AEM gives the highest PEAK hp for the 4 banger... CPE give the highest overall average gain...

the big claim with the K&N intake is that is the LEAST likely to throw a CEL out of the current intakes, minus the CPE, which is an intake on steroids...

like many have said, there's CPE and the rest.. for the 4 banger, save some cash and go with one of the rest...

#26 ·
Anything other than CPE is really a placebo effect.

Go for the Injen CAI for something noticeable.

With any SRI, from what I've tried, you just get a whole lot of noise.
[/b]
All of the CAI on the market will yield increase power of stock. And even though CPE offer the biggest increase remember in most cases it also cost twice as much. I have a Mazdaspeed CAI for my 6s which gives a gain of around 10 hp. I know that CPE can give gains around 20 hp. But I paid half the price for my CAI compared to CPE. I'm completely satisfied with it. Also with any intake throttle response should be better and you should definately feel the extra power on the butt dyno. Don't think its a placebo effect. That would be buying an exhaust system and saying you felt an increase in power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.