Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if anyone lowered their 6 yet, if you did what kinda springs did you use? Before I do it to mine I want to know if its safe and reliable.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: Did anybody lower their Mazda6 yet?

Haven't done it yet, and doubt I will, I will just fill up the wheel wells with some nice 17s and add either the A-Spec or Sport trimming to make it look "lower".

Some of the biggest criticism from the magazines about the 6 is the short suspension travel, quickly bottoming out without much force. So you remove those and add in drop springs and increase the bottoming out even more. I wouldn't care to hear a loud thud everytime I went over the speed bumps in the college parking lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts

hey whodiddy, nice car at cardomain.com........ if ur the same whodiddy in cardomain.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Did anybody lower their Mazda6 yet?'

Originally posted by 84FordMan

Haven't done it yet, and doubt I will, I will just fill up the wheel wells with some nice 17s and add either the A-Spec or Sport trimming to make it look "lower".

Some of the biggest criticism from the magazines about the 6 is the short suspension travel, quickly bottoming out without much force. So you remove those and add in drop springs and increase the bottoming out even more. I wouldn't care to hear a loud thud everytime I went over the speed bumps in the college parking lot.[/b]
Not necessarily. They are progressive rate springs. That's not to say you won't bottom out, but probably not a whole lot more than usual.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I find that a little strange.. I mean the car has a "bottom". And on the pics I'v seen of the car doing "the elk test" (swedish evasive manuver slamom test) the sides of the car is just about 3-4cm from hitting the ground when bottoming out. They can't have more travel then they have - if they did the car would get a encounter of the third grade with the tarmac...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Some of the biggest criticism from the magazines about the 6 is the short suspension travel, quickly bottoming out without much force.[/b]

From MazdaUSA site:

Mazda suspension engineers also strove to achieve firm but comfortable ride quality. For that reason, the vehicle's rear suspension travel is especially long, 3.94 in. (100 mm) upwards and 4.33 in. (110 mm) downwards for a total of 8.27 in. (210 mm).

What Magazines were these?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Originally posted by LBJay

Some of the biggest criticism from the magazines about the 6 is the short suspension travel, quickly bottoming out without much force.[/b]

What Magazines were these?
[/b][/quote]

Car & Driver was about the only one, R&T didn't even brush on the subject of it.

I caught it on Car & Driver TV, let me see if I can dig up the article online:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddrive...?keywords=Mazda

"Lows: Untoward bumps and thumps from the chassis."

They were not that kind to it on the TV show though, in that area.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Car & Driver

"Big dips and humps can bottom or top out the suspension travel"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts