Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer e-mailed me the following:

"The deposit is refundable and is needed to secure the vehicle for you. You may purchase the vehicle now or put a refundable deposit down for us to secure the vehicle for you. When the vehicle becomes available, you may ask for the deposit back, applie (sic) it to your downpayment to reduce your monthly payment, or refuse the vehicle all together and get your deposit back."

My question is, what's the deposit needed for, then?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: Deposits to order a car....

Think of it as a gesture on your part to show the dealer you're serious.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Yah, they cant sell the car to anyone else or let anyone drive it or anything when it arrives unless you refuse it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Deposits to order a car....'

Originally posted by darmc96

Yah, they cant sell the car to anyone else or let anyone drive it or anything when it arrives unless you refuse it.  [/b]
Or so that's how it should be. However, when my brother bought his 2000 VW Golf back in 2000 (which he totaled btw); he put a $2000 deposit on the exact car he wanted. What happened? The car arrives, they sell it to some other guy and my brother ends up waiting another 2 weeks. To add insult to injury, they forgot to add a Monsoon sound system and left the basic Clarion system in. Let's just say my brother made quite the scene.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

That doesn't surprise me. I was looking at Vette's 3 years ago and I heard alot of Chevy dealers did this. Since they only got a few allocated each year, if someone came in and made a generous offer, they'd sell your ordered car to them and then tell you that something happened and your order got delayed when, in fact, they just re-ordered your car because you're paying less and they don't care about you. (phew! long sentence)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Deposits to order a car....'

In the case of the 6 if a dealer orderd the car and you backed out they would have no prob. selling it to someone elce. But some cars if they have funny options on them they could be hard to sell if it has what you want on it and not what other people want. Like the green C 230 cars. It is just so you do not go anywhere elce. I put down a $1000.00 deposit on my 6 but I got lucky and got it from out of state and only had to wait not even a month.:)

·
Registered
77 Posts

Well, my sales guy tells me that if I cant take delivery on a certain week because I am out of town, they are going to put a sold tag on it and put it in the back. The fact that the car shows on Mazda's website in the dealerships inventory concerns me though that with it being a 6s 5speed they will no doubt get some calls for it. Just have to hope the guy doesn't sell me out.....or lets just say he had better not. I will have waited 2 full months on the 21st of this month for that car. I would no doubt be consulting an attorney as to my rights if they sold it out from under me....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

darmc96 made me wonder....

what recourse do we have, if any, if a dealer reneges on the deal and sells the car to someone else?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Not sure you have any recourse. Not legally anyways unless you were to sign a contract with the dealer that YOU drafted. The best I think you can do in general is spread a bad word about them and contact the better business bureau. And call Mazda USA. Honda USA is big about this. If a dealer screws around too much with you and you complain above them, Honda USA will come down on them. They don't like to hear about customer dissatisfaction. Chances are you wouldn't see that salesman working there much longer either.

·
Registered
77 Posts

I'm not sure what recourse you do have. All I know is that generally the law will stipulate that you are made whole. Therefore, if they sell a car that they promised to you and you put down a deposit on the car and they can't get you another one exactly like it such as my 6s with a 5 speed manual, there has to be some kind of legal recourse. I think if they sell it out from under you and can get the same model in a reasonable time, they can do anything they want to. Rest assured, if they did sell my car out from under me, I would certainly have the horsepower to find out what recourse I had. Anyhoo... I spoke to my sales guy and my car is due the last full week of March, unless there are any delays. Therefore, I am targeting April 2 to take delivery of my car. However, if there are delays, the following 2 weeks I am stuck in VT on business and have been told that my car will be there waiting for me when I get back. Hopefully there will be no delays.....

·
Registered
269 Posts

My dealer wanted $2500 to order the car! I told him no way...I said I'll give you $500 or I'm going to the next dealer.

He took the $500 :)

Jon

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I ended up putting $1000 by writing a check but I'm not sure the dealer ever intended to cash it because they haven't (to date).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts