·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at the Denso high end Iridium Tough series 0.4mm electrode plugs:

VK16 is the 3.0 v6 plug for Mazda6

http://www.denso-europe.com/uploads/pdf/Ne...0May%202005.pdf

What do you think?
Looks like those may be the best plugs out there... where to buy them is another question?

quick compare of the NGK iridum vs. Denso:

NGK Iridium IX spark plugs
NGK's Iridium IX product range of spark plugs in the UK is aimed predominantly at the motorcycle market. There are a few instances of cars officially imported into the UK that use Iridium IX spark plugs as standard equipment - evidence that automotive manufacturers have tried and tested and now trust the product.
Sparkplugs.co.uk keep limited stocks of the entire UK NGK Iridium IX range in stock for immediate despatch and can obtain non UK spark plugs to satisfy most other requirements on request.
Service life of some OEM Iridium spark plugs can be as much as 120000 miles with very little degrading of performance in that lifespan. NGK Iridium IX types have a centre electrode tipped with Iridium alloy with a 0.6mm diameter. NGK believe this gives the optimum balance between performance and service life. Service life estimates can be up to 60000 miles for normally aspirated car engines and up to 20000 miles for motorcycles - this is extremely subjective though, a high revving motorcycle or extremely modified car engine will most likely wear plugs out in a few thousand miles.

Denso Iridium Power spark plugs
Denso's current Iridium Power product range is aimed mainly at the performance car and motorcycle markets. We can usually cross reference NGK parts to Denso parts and vice versa to provide a plug to your specification.
Construction of NGK and Denso plugs is similar for the most part, the big difference being Denso's use of a 0.4mm Iridium tipped centre electrode - claimed to be the world's smallest production centre electrode, where NGK's IX centre electrode is 0.6mm. As with NGK Iridium, and indeed most other spark plugs, the narrower the centre electrode is, the lower the potential difference (voltage) that is required to jump the gap between centre and ground electrodes. It follows that the Denso plug will require an even lower 'spark jump' voltage than the NGK plug. The Denso plug also utilises a 'u-grooved' ground electrode which is claimed to aid in the production of a 'flame core' which further improves the combustion process. In theory, all the benefits offered by NGK Iridium plugs are further improved by the Denso Iridium plugs - with the exception of service life. The smaller diameter of the Denso centre electrode means that less wear can take place before the plugs' optimum service life is exceeded.

Denso also manufacture long life Iridium power plugs such as SVK20RZ8, VK22PR-Z11 etc. These maintain the 0.4mm Iridium centre electrode but also have a platinum 'chip' in the ground electrode to allow performance to be maintained for a much longer service life (up to 60000 miles). These plug types are usually recommended for high power turbo charged engines where wear may otherwise be accelerated.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The only difference I have noticed (don't have either) is that the NGK is less that half the price of denso (after I saw that I stopped looking).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so far the only difference I have noticed was... 6mm vs. 4mm ceter electrode size...

Smaller electrode has it's benefits... almost like Denso is a high tech division of NGK.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
i remember fordman ranting about how there is no reason to change the plugs in the mazda 6 ever, and the duratech will eat any plugs other than the OEM equipment.

oem equipment are iridium platinum plated i believe. and stepping to a colder plug or anything is worthless for what most people do modding the 6.

so, dont do it, its a waste of money the normal plugs are just fine.

thats what the almighty fordman said.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mazda6 3.0L is using very good but "conventional design" Motorcraft double platinum plugs... Denso or NGK are making Iridium plugs and those are a more high tech design than solid but old tech double platinums...

On my other car 2002 Pro 5 I did switch from stock NGK platinums to Denso Iridium 0.4mm plugs at 30000miles and I did notice that 2.0l engine was starting qucker and easier (fewer crank time) car was reving a little smoother and easier also idle was a tad smoohter and more even... So the reason for this post is to find out what can I expect from Iridium upgrade on 3.0 Duratec?

·
Registered
680 Posts
My manual states that the spark plugs should be changed every 60,000 miles based on how/where I drive my car. I use the owners' manual as guideline, but I always perform maintenance sooner than it is recommended if I can.

That being said, I plan on changing my spark plugs. I want to change them at 50,000 miles which lies in the very near future. So which ones can I count on my engine not "eating?"

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
IIRC, Fordman changed his plugs on his car as well. He has NGKs.

I am about to go install my NGKs but cannot figure out where all 6 plugs go! I see 3 under the engine but not the other 3...

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
IIRC, Fordman changed his plugs on his car as well. He has NGKs.

I am about to go install my NGKs but cannot figure out where all 6 plugs go! I see 3 under the engine but not the other 3...
[/b]
Three in front and the other three are under the intake manifold.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Got it, thanks bro :)

I got the Iridium IX, which we also resell, just not on our website ;)

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Can someone explain the advantages of the iridium plugs, or link to a test proving their superiority?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing