Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah so i took the mazda 6 to get an oil change today cause i was almost up on my miles and am driving back to NC from Texas on friday. Well when i get there they lift my hood while the car was still running and notice the ticking noise from the engine that has been going on since i bought the car. Well they told me that they wouldnt change to oil because my engine shouldnt be making that noise and definately not to loud. They told me i need to take the car back to the dealer asap and get it looked at. I posted on here like 2 1/2 months ago about the ticking and everyone said that was normal. So i dont know what to do. I guess i am just going to totally de-mod the car and take it to the dealer and maybe ill get a new engine or something. Anyone have any opinions?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
hahahahahahahah

get a new dealership or change your own oil. all you have is intake and exhaust.. in theory those things coullld hurt your car but they didnt. the ticking noise is/should be fuel injectors or yoru fuel damper. just change the oil yourself or go to a 10 minute oil change place and tell them to take 20 minutes on your car. :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
where did you take the car to? i would avoid quick change places; they are notorious for doing bad work.

agreed, take it to the dealer or do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Your car is likely fine, and the shop was just stupid. Our engines tick, plain and simple.

·
Registered
810 Posts
no tick = broken

:(

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always change my own oil but being here in texas at school and leaving in a few days i couldnt do it myself. I dont have the tool( all at home) or the place to do it. Thats why i took it to an oil change place to get it done. Well im going to take it to the dealer next monday and if they think there is something wrong then ill just get it fixed, if not then not!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Dude, they are just lame. tick tick tick goes the 3.0......what a bunch of losers. Go some place else, you'll never hear anybody mention it again. I go to quick change places but bring my own oil and demand to see the empty containers. Disposing of used oil etc in CA is a pain in ass. I'll owe you a cold one :cheers: if another shop says the same thing.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Is weird, but when my car was new the tick was more pronounced. Now at 31,000 miles it still ticks, but has quieted down enough that I don't even think about it anymore --- either that, or I've just gotten use to it. Lol. I did have the 3.0L engine ticking done on it...

Usually right after an oil change I can hear it more pronouced, but as it gets more mileage after an oil change it goes away...

I would get the dealer to put it in writing that the tick is not normal, and then get the other dealership or the dealer that wrote the note to try and fix it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
That sounds as bad as Wal-Mart:

- They won't rotate your tires if you have a missing lug nut or previously broken wheel stud.
- They won't change your oil if the head of the drain plug is slightly worn (Even though they have the tools to remove it and the drain plugs to replace it with).
- They won't change your oil if your car is making a weird noise.
- They won't change your oil if your check engine light is on.

These places nowadays are so freakin' paranoid.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Is weird, but when my car was new the tick was more pronounced. Now at 31,000 miles it still ticks, but has quieted down enough that I don't even think about it anymore --- either that, or I've just gotten use to it. Lol. I did have the 3.0L engine ticking done on it...

Usually right after an oil change I can hear it more pronouced, but as it gets more mileage after an oil change it goes away...

I would get the dealer to put it in writing that the tick is not normal, and then get the other dealership or the dealer that wrote the note to try and fix it. :)
[/b]

that's because your fuel injectors are starting to get clogged up... for a week try running cleaner gas and use some fuel injector cleaner from your local pep boys or meijers. etc etc.... it will make your car feel a little more peppy and the tick back to it's orrigional form :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
that's because your fuel injectors are starting to get clogged up... for a week try running cleaner gas and use some fuel injector cleaner from your local pep boys or meijers. etc etc.... it will make your car feel a little more peppy and the tick back to it's orrigional form :)
[/b]
Funny you mention that. I've been running Lucas UCL lately, and it has quieted the injectors down a bit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i took the car over to the mazda dealer here just to see if i could get a mechanic to come outside and hear the noise quick. The guy listened to the car and said that it was normal and that there is nothing wrong with the engine. He said these engines have valve clearence issues and that they all do it. He also started that these engines dont like synthetic oil and they have many engines fail that use synthetic oil. SO i guess ill go back to regular oil. They said it has something to do with clearence or something really wasnt paying attension. I was glancing over at the Mazdaspeed6's hehe

·
Registered
118 Posts

- They won't rotate your tires if you have a missing lug nut or previously broken wheel stud.
- They won't change your oil if the head of the drain plug is slightly worn (Even though they have the tools to remove it and the drain plugs to replace it with).

[/b]
Can you blame them? People will try and blame anything on a shop that works on their car. I worked at an auto parts store and people would try and blame stuff on us. We don't even install anything, just sell parts and people would still try and blame us if something didn't work right on their 84 Pontiac Sunbird.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

[/b]

because of the eagerness of people to sue them for everything that isn't even their fault.

Let's take those one at a time:

Because you could blame them for either the broken stud (despite it being broken when you came in) or any further damage to your wheel/hub/car from being stupid enough to drive around with broken or missing wheel studs. The possibility that you could blame them and try to sue is too great to take the risk.

- They won't change your oil if the head of the drain plug is slightly worn (Even though they have the tools to remove it and the drain plugs to replace it with)
there's always the possibility that they might muck it up worse (a lot of those "mechanics" aren't exactly rocket scientists) or you might come back later and accuse them of doing the original damage.

"weird noise" is hard to pin down, but if they fear it might be an internal engine problem once again they don't want to be invoived in a finger-pointing match should you end up with a blown engine and a huge repair bill not too long after they changed your oil.

perhaps a bit extreme, but once again they probably don't have the tools to diagnose why the light is on, don't have the skilled people to do it, and don't want to spend the extre time it would take to get into a MIL diagnosis procedure just for an oil change.

Sorry, but I can't blame them for not wanting to get involved in those sort of problems.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I only use dirty gas so I dont get that tick... OK clean gas? that was just silly.

Ya cant blaim them for not wanting to screw with something that is already screwed up.

As far as the synthetic oil... it lasts longer, stays cleaner, and lubricates better, so yes it makes perfect sense it would be bad for your car...

·
Registered
72 Posts
...engines don't like synthetic oil??? Isn't the oil that COMES in this car (V6) a synthetic BLEND??? By the way...if the oil MEETS or EXCEEDS the rating for the type of oil used...it is safe to use...ANYBODY hear of an engine failure BECAUSE of synthetic oil (as long as something else wasn't messed with)???
Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
17 Participants
silversport
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing