Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that a thing on these cars? Saw a defrost side mirror on amazon, but could have been for a different gen.

Easy upgrade?

·
Super Moderator
17,099 Posts
Yup, the Touring + Tech and Grand Touring models have both defrost and auto-dim. They're activated when the rear window defrost is turned on.

From what I remember, the wiring is all in place for an upgrade if you wanted to do so, but don't quote me on that!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't know if the wiring is there on the Sport or not.... if it's easy to check I'll look, but if I remember correctly getting access to the back of the mirror to see if the wiring is there, while not impossible, isn't exactly in the "5 minute trivial" category either.

·
Super Moderator
17,099 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it was a 2015 sport. Found his reply to a thread from a month ago now that i was on his profile. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I have blind spot sensors, this upgrade might not be feasible, RA doesn't show any blind spot side mirrors, and I assume if I could find it, they would be pretty spendy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The autodim should tie into the mirror's control circuit (you need the autodim/Homelink mirror), but whether the wiring is there for the signal from the rearview mirror to the doors is unknown. If it IS then it's easy.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The autodim should tie into the mirror's control circuit (you need the autodim/Homelink mirror), but whether the wiring is there for the signal from the rearview mirror to the doors is unknown. If it IS then it's easy.....
I installed the homelink, but with only a red and black wire going to it, it feels isolated to itself....

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You didn't use the factory harness?

There's a connector under the A-pillar cover on the driver side. If you get the factory install kit for the HomeLink mirror you need do no splicing -- you just need a new "bitch clip" for the pillar cover, since there's an airbag back there and you'll destroy the retention clip getting it off (they're built that way on purpose since they MUST NOT detach if the airbag deploys, so you have to cut the tether on them.) When I added mine I bought the install kit which is just a wiring harness that plugs directly into the connector behind that cover.

I do not know if that harness, however, relays the signal to the mirrors, or if it does if the wiring is there on lower-trim models to pick up in the door, and if so, where (e.g. what pin) it's on. If the signal is in the door it's easy but if it's not then it's quite a lot of work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You didn't use the factory harness?

There's a connector under the A-pillar cover on the driver side. If you get the factory install kit for the HomeLink mirror you need do no splicing -- you just need a new "bitch clip" for the pillar cover, since there's an airbag back there and you'll destroy the retention clip getting it off (they're built that way on purpose since they MUST NOT detach if the airbag deploys, so you have to cut the tether on them.) When I added mine I bought the install kit which is just a wiring harness that plugs directly into the connector behind that cover.

I do not know if that harness, however, relays the signal to the mirrors, or if it does if the wiring is there on lower-trim models to pick up in the door, and if so, where (e.g. what pin) it's on. If the signal is in the door it's easy but if it's not then it's quite a lot of work.
I did use that harness/connector, no splicing, just a jumper harness that piggybacks into it. But the wires going to the mirror are only black and red.

That clip sucks, I attempted to get it off without destroying and got close but no cigar.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hmmm.... that leads me to wonder if there is more than one harness available; if I remember correctly there were more than two positions on the connector under the A-pillar cover.

The signal for the mirror has to come from somewhere -- the obvious would be the rear-view since the idea is to dim the mirror when you are being blasted from behind by someone's headlights, but otherwise not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts