Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I can't seem to find a mechanical gauge that I like, I'm seriously considering the DEFI-Link BF boost gauge with imperial units but since I never had any electronic gauge I have a few questions.

a) Where can I buy the Defi boost gauge and control unit ??

b) Did you solder the wires or used the included solderless connectors ??

c) Where did you mount the control unit ??

d) Where did you mount the included boost sensor ??

e) Where did you tap the red (battery), orange (IGN) and white (illumination) wires ??

Thanks

·
Registered
856 Posts
Since I can't seem to find a mechanical gauge that I like, I'm seriously considering the DEFI-Link BF boost gauge with imperial units but since I never had any electronic gauge I have a few questions.

a) Where can I buy the Defi boost gauge and control unit ??[/b]
Check out www.defi-shop.com I'm not sure which of our sponsors carry Defi.
A buddy of mine is a dealer and I bought it from him.

b) Did you solder the wires or used the included solderless connectors ??[/b]
The Defi control unit comes with the little solderless taps, thats what I used.

c) Where did you mount the control unit ??[/b]
I mounted the unit in the center console, I had to extend the cable that goes to the gauge. It was easy, I just used some phone cord.

d) Where did you mount the included boost sensor ??[/b]
I drilled a couple of holes in part of the fuse box cover and ran zip ties through them. The hose that comes with the boost gauge is perfect length to run from the BOV. I did not have to extend the wire that goes to the control unit, it was perfect length.

e) Where did you tap the red (battery), orange (IGN) and white (illumination) wires ??[/b]
I used the constant radio +12 for battery, and wires from the seat heater switch for illum. and ign.
See more in this thread. I posted an explanation of why I wired to these locations. http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=61050

I need to take some pics of where I mounted the control unit and MAP sensor. Maybe tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Alan, I really appreciate your help.

If it's not too much trouble, please take some pictures of where you mounted the control unit and the boost sensor.

Also, do you know what wires I could use for illuminate and IGN as I don't have the heated seats.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I mounted the sensor on the driver side of the engine bay. I have a CAI so there is lots of room and places to put it anywhere there.

The control unit could be put anywhere you want, center console is a good spot, but you will need to extend some wires.

My gauge is mounted on the A pillar.

There are about 10 threads with boost gauge install info try search for more pics and info.

The trick will be getting the sending wire through the firewall. I will post pics on what I did, I believe my way worked out well and wasn't very time consuming.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Franchise,

How did you mount the sensor...did you attached it with the included bolts ??

As for the wires, I read the threads but I am still uncertain of where to tap (maybe its because english is not my first language). Therefore, may I ask what wires you used during your install ??

Thanx

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm going to go and take a few pictures for you, and try to explain what I did.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Thank you franchise, I really appreciate it :)
[/b]
OK, I'm done with my 'things to do'.

I'm going to take everything apart and take some pictures of the back of the radio. That's where I have it all wired up.

What other pics do you want? Pics of the pilar off? I have pics of the firewall, and a simple way to get through the rubber hole.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I'm done with my 'things to do'.

I'm going to take everything apart and take some pictures of the back of the radio. That's where I have it all wired up.

What other pics do you want? Pics of the pilar off? I have pics of the firewall, and a simple way to get through the rubber hole.
[/b]
Most important are some pictures of the exact location of all the wires, location of the ground, location of the control unit, location of the boost sensor and some pictures of the mounted gauge.

Once again thank you Franchise!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just installed my boost gauge. I couldn't find a source for dimming the lights because everywhere had a green 12V+ and a Black/W that was + the more the lights dimmed. So I just tapped the green wire running to the light inside the headlight adjuster switch.

To remove the panel below the steering wheel:
1. Slide a slot-headed screw driver over top of the hood release and pull the hood release towards you, it will pop out.
2. remove the two screws behind it.
3. pop off the panel.

You can then pop out the light / dsc / dimmer switches and see the massive green and black connectors in the back. All the green wires I tested were either 12V+ with lights on or 12V+ with ignition on.

For the ground, if you remove the panel on the drivers side of the dash (where the door meets the dash), there is a metal plate with two 10mm bolts. This has a good ground connection.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sorry it took so long. So much time so little to do! ---- ;)

It's on the pillar, to those that hate that, save it for someone who cares. The bag DOESN'T blow the plastic at you, and besides it doesnt go all the way down. I'm just waiting for that gauge bezel if it ever gets made for the cluster gauge.

I have everything wired to the radio. You could really wire this any of multiple ways, this works for me as I mounted the control unit alongside the center console, just in front of the seat. If you were to wire it into the center console, you will have to extend the power wires and most likely the gauge to control unit wire.

On the white wire, dimmer. It semi-works the way I did it. It dims the gauge, but you have to dim almost all the way down. I'm going to presume this is a Defi issue, as I tried a few different variable voltage wires with the same results.

Blue/Red stripe = constant voltage, comes from battery

Orange = switched voltage, comes from ignition

Black/Yellow stripe = variable voltage, controlled by dimmer switch

Defi BF wires should be connected is this manner:

RED ----> Blue/Red stripe
Orange ---> Orange
White ---> Black Yellow stripe
Black ---> grounded to radio chassis, or other location of your choice.

To punch a hole through the firewall I used a screwdriver, razor sharp exacto, box cutter, and my brother.

From the engine bay I pushed the screwdriver into the rubber gasket (pic shows where). This gives a great platform/location to cut the rubber from the cabin. While pushing hard with the screwdriver your assistant gets under the dash and takes off the sound proofing material and then should see the screwdriver almost pushing through, this is where they take the exacto and cut a little slit.

Then you take a clothes hanger and undo it and make it straight. I cut off all of the crazy curly stuff with a dremel, it will make it easier to push it through the rubber. Push from the cabin to the engine bay with the hanger, leave some to pull back though. Once through, tape up the signal wire from the vacuum unit REALLY WELL. I used duct tape. Carefully pull the wire through the firewall with the hanger. DONE!

I didn't pay attention to the directions initially and mounted the vacuum sending unit upside down, it clearly says to mount it with the hose coming from the bottom. I'm working on finding a new place for it, until then it stays mounted to the frame rail.
I T’d the vacuum hoses at the bypass valve, it works really well. Make sure you zip-tie down the hoses really well.

If done right, it comes out really clean, and with the control unit mounted on the center console it's a lot easier to fiddle with the buttons.

PICTURES BELOW... I'm sure I forgot something. I hope this helps.

/Chris

Engine Bay view

Cabin view

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Bah!! I can't wait that long. I just ordered my Defi boost gauge, Defi-LInk Fitting Kit, and Defi-Link Control Unit II.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bah!! I can't wait that long. I just ordered my Defi boost gauge, Defi-LInk Fitting Kit, and Defi-Link Control Unit II.
[/b]
Same here :D

Sorry it took so long. So much time so little to do! ---- ;)[/b]
Thank you SO much franchize !!

Those pics will help me a lot.

If possible, could you take a pic of the control unit and one of the boost sensor.

Thanx, I really appreciate your help.

This is where I mount the sensor on mine.
[/b]
Thanx for the pics M6Gr8.

·
Registered
856 Posts
So these new gauges do NOT need a control unit? Im in the market for a boost gauge, but if I can bypass having to buy the 230 dollar control unit, I would love it. How do these not use a control unit, are they mechanical? Sorry about that last question if it was stupid, just trying to learn. LOL
[/b]
$230?!?! Who is ripping you off?
I got the gauge and control unit for about $330.

I got home too late yesterday to take pictures of mine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts