Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the stock stereo and speakers stack up? I didn't get the bose package, and wondering if the stock radio/speakers will be the first thing changed in the car.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Reading Topic: Default Stereo in 6s

Well I am not gonna move this post right away as you are new and may not find it later.. but...

IMHO, I thought the Bose system didn't sound $600 better, so i decided to keep the stock radio. However, the stock radio isn't that good either. It uses paper cone speakers that can crack and distort. If you want better sound quality and loudness I would recommend upgrading the speakers. Just having those run off the factory deck will improve your sound in the car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Default Stereo in 6s'

Are the speakers 6x9 front and back?
I couldnt find anything at crutchfield.com when i specified make/model car.
Odd. You say the stock stereo is decent? I would love to put an mp3 player in , heh

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

No.. Mazda/Ford use a 6x8/5x7 for their cars. This car is no exception as they have that size all the way around.

It will take some time for the car name to get out to people before we see anything in the way of adding a stereo and speakers.

The stock stereo isn't that bad.. I think the placement of the rear speakers gives the rear passengers low volume levels in comparison with the front. You can check this out yourself by putting the fader all the way to the rears. There is barely any noise coming from them. A new speaker might help that.

Mazda offers an MP3 player that you can purchase online or through your dealership. I think it runs in the price range of $400-500. A couple members already ahve it installed and love it. Feel free to search the forums to see if you can find more info.

Also.. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks
But I don't get the car til 6pm EST tomorrow =P
LOL

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Oh.. that's not too much more of a wait. Guys here are still months out waiting!

Make sure you post pics when you get it!! Otherwise Kincaid will be waiting for you.

·
Registered
388 Posts

i would replace the stock speakers with 6" round component speakers, and 1" tweeters. you can replace the rear speakers with coaxials if you want those replaced. i would just get some line out converters and amp the comps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks b0b:
The default deck is fine? I figure if I take the default deck out, then i will lose the LCD above on it

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

The head unit is the biggest draw back for many on here who have modified their systems already, but as some have stated, just put an aftermarket head unit in the map bin compartment until a dash kit becomes available.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by Absolut

No.. Mazda/Ford use a 6x8/5x7 for their cars.  This car is no exception as they have that size all the way around.  

It will take some time for the car name to get out to people before we see anything in the way of adding a stereo and speakers.  

The stock stereo isn't that bad.. I think the placement of the rear speakers gives the rear passengers low volume levels in comparison with the front.  You can check this out yourself by putting the fader all the way to the rears.  There is barely any noise coming from them.  A new speaker might help that.  

Mazda offers an MP3 player that you can purchase online or through your dealership.  I think it runs in the price range of $400-500.  A couple members already ahve it installed and love it.  Feel free to search the forums to see if you can find more info.

Also.. Welcome aboard![/b]

On the Bose system I must complain about the same thing - placement of speakers. There should be rear deck speakers, not just sub, having your farthest back speakers be in the front of the rear door is just weird... that means no (higher range) sound behind the rear passengers, and not even any true sound behind hte driver... it's basically right under your butt. I've found my stereo experience semi-dissapointing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

You said " Mazda/Ford use a 6x8/5x7 for their cars"

Is the 6x8 front, 5x7 rear?

I noticed there are door tweeter speakers up by the side mirrors.
So the 6s has 6 speakers technically?

·
Registered
272 Posts

I like the stock speakers but Absolut was right, they crackle a lot at higher volume levels.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Originally posted by BoDEAN

You said " Mazda/Ford use a 6x8/5x7 for their cars"

Is the 6x8 front, 5x7 rear?

I noticed there are door tweeter speakers up by the side mirrors.
So the 6s has 6 speakers technically?[/b]
No.. you can use 6x8 and 5x7 interchangeably. In this case it will use the same size all the way around. Good luck trying to get an aftermarket tweet in that spot. It's too small for most aftermarket component systems that usually give you a 1" tweeter.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Originally posted by MZ6ZoomZoom            
On the Bose system I must complain about the same thing -  placement of speakers.  There should be rear deck speakers, not just sub, having your farthest back speakers be in the front of the rear door is just weird... that means no (higher range) sound behind the rear passengers, and not even any true sound behind hte driver... it's basically right under your butt.  I've found my stereo experience semi-dissapointing.[/b]
I actually like this set up, and I wish most cars had it. Having the rear speakers in the doors actually allows me to play the stereo louder with passengers in the car.

I don't know about you, but when I am a passenger in another car, riding in the back seat, I get a headache because usually other cars will have the rear speakers mounted up above and behind the back seat headrests. The music just blares into your ears from inches away. It's especially worse if the system is crappy and the driver lhas no clue to how to use the bass lever. Not to mention, you can't even have a conversation. I'd always have to ask for the radio to bw turned doww, and for an asprin.

In the 6 with the Bose, the speakers are mounted low in the rear doors. This allows the music to be at a higher level, without deafening rear passengers and disrupting conversation. Plus I think the Bose sounds great.

·
Registered
301 Posts

I actually like this set up, and I wish most cars had it.  Having the rear speakers in the doors actually allows me to play the stereo louder with passengers in the car.

In the 6 with the Bose, the speakers are mounted low in the rear doors.  This allows the music to be at a higher level, without deafening rear passengers and disrupting conversation.[/b]
With speakers in the doors, the reason it doesn't deafen your passengers is also because the sound is projected into their legs, which means it doesn't sound very good; in which case, you might as well disconnect them because even if you have NO PASSENGERS, the speakers are throwing sound around down behind your seat which also does not benefit you if you're sitting in the front.

Screw the passengers.

Plus I think the Bose sounds great.[/b]
I listened to the Bose @ a showroom and it sounded pretty good at lower volumes, but when I cranked it up the bass was muddy and the highs weren't as crisp as my current setup.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Originally posted by RustyBawl
In the 6 with the Bose, the speakers are mounted low in the rear doors.  This allows the music to be at a higher level, without deafening rear passengers and disrupting conversation.
With speakers in the doors, the reason it doesn't deafen your passengers is also because the sound is projected into their legs, which means it doesn't sound very good; in which case, you might as well disconnect them because even if you have NO PASSENGERS, the speakers are throwing sound around down behind your seat which also does not benefit you if you're sitting in the front.

Screw the passengers.

[[/b]
I am assuming that when a vehicle contains a "premium" sound system like Bose, or JBL, or Pioneer, etc, that the system manufacturer designs the sound system around the specific model vehicle.

So, I would assume that Bose Inc. got it's hands on a pre-production model of a Mazda6 sedan before it went into manufacturing. I am assuming that they tested various setups with all typed of high-end testing equipment and with different music styles. Of course, they must also take into account the cost of the system and balance that.

That being said, obviously Bose engineers aren't going to satisfy everyone. But I would imagine that in Bose's professional opinion, the current setup is the optimal one for the Mazda6 cabin and the $700 price.

I don't think Bose just ships Mazda a generic Bose head unit and 7 speakers and tell Mazda, "here, put 'em where ya want!". The Bose sounds terrific to me. But I'm not an audiophile... just a a music -lover.

And if we were to just say "screw the passengers", we'd just buy single-seaters... not five passenger sedans. ;)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Default Stereo in 6s'

I think the base stereo sounds nearly as good as the Bose, just not as loud.

If you decide this isn't good enough for you, the most important thing for you to replace is the amplifier. The stock speakers are extremely efficient, so any aftermarket speakers will be much quieter given the same amount of amplifier power. To compensate, you'll need a new amp before doing anything else.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Originally posted by stretchsje

I think the base stereo sounds nearly as good as the Bose, just not as loud.

If you decide this isn't good enough for you, the most important thing for you to replace is the amplifier.  The stock speakers are extremely efficient, so any aftermarket speakers will be much quieter given the same amount of amplifier power.  To compensate, you'll need a new amp before doing anything else.[/b]
Default speakers are good? Someone on here said they are paper cones, and that would be the first thing to replace.
I have a powerful Pioneer amp laying around. You say putting this in would make a world of difference? BTW - I didn't get the BOSE package

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Yeah... door speakers have their advantages, but for personal listening they are no good - there's just no force behind your head. Should be an 8.1 system, not 6.1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts