Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you get a DEFA 400 alarm ( a good one); you can easily mount it yourself.

I had the alarm in my 626 and moved it to the 6. I have a PDF file with an instruciton with images and wiring diagrams showing how to do it. I got it from the manufacturer directly, it's not available at their web for the public.

I couldn't upload it here (it's half a meg, and the board settings don't allow for such big files); but if anyone is interested, drop me a note as a PM and put your mail there and I'll mail it to you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Replying to Topic 'DEFA alarm mounting'

I thought that almost nobody installed alarms anymore.

Some insurance companys have dropped all advantages because people don't care about alarms nowadays.

It's very hard to steal a modern car (that's why they get hijacked and that's worse) and when you have the Bose it's not much possible to steal either.

My own experience is that alarms have a tendency to malfunction a lot after a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I have to disagree.

The risk of getting your car stolen is substantially lower with an alarm. And you say it's hard to steal o modern car. Oh boy, you're in the blue...:sarc Check statistics for facts. The theft protection by transponder technology built into your Mazda6 may stop an amateur, but it won't stop a pro. Not even a half-pro. It's rather easy to put that out of work, instructions are all over the Internet...:sarc

With an alarm, your car may still be in the lot while the car next to it, without alarm, gets stolen. Never mind the insurance benefits if any.

I know people who had their brand new cars stolen, demolished and repaired. You never get the feeling for the car back. Best is if it's never retrieved again so you get a new one.

Or you could have an alarm and keep the car in the first place.

Never had an alarm give me problems either. I've stuck to DEFA. Good stuff.:)

C

·
0 Posts

Hi Steve

I almost got to say thank u :)
The Norwegians can make some good stuff too, fortunately :D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Yes..

I've always had an alarm, but more to stop someone from stealing my stereo than stealing the car. An alarm, as said, will stop a joyrider - most as soon as they see the little flashing LED. That little LED will be their incentive to move to another car without an alarm, an easier target.

But a "professional" theif is a different story. If he/she wants your car, he/she will get it. I am hesitant to put an alarm in any new car because most of the installers around here don't do a good job! I could probably do it if I wanted (have had cars taken apart to do $5,000 stereos); but have no desire to. Alarms are a pain.

But I digress. I think an alarm is always useful. The most common theives, whether they are after your car or something in it, will think twice and usually move on if they see you have an alarm.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes, the main purpose of an alarm is to see to that your neighbour's car gets stolen...:D

·
Registered
657 Posts

Apple, call Sounds Impossible in Highlands, NJ, and see if they do alarm installs. They're one of the best installers in the WORLD, let alone the East Coast, and I'm willing to put good money down that says they'll install your alarm perfectly. Granted, they charge a lot, but they're worth it. I'm putting myself on the waiting list to do a "simple" install there, as soon as they finish the $150,000 install they're doing now. They have a pedigree that just can't be beat. Talk to Bill, the owner, if you do call them up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts