Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm about to decide on a new CAI. I'm a bit of a newb to the mod scene so I want to make a right purchase. I have a 2005 V6 ATX. There are so many choices out there. Went to therpmstore.com and so quite a few intakes. The ones I'm looking into are

1. CPE intake for V6---- The price is def more than other intakes. Gains seem to be much more than other intakes I have seen.

2. Injen CAI--- Price seems right but I have heard about some CEL issues with the intake.

3. Mazdaspeed CAI-- I've heard that this doesnt throw a CEL but the gains are not as good as the CPE intake.

Overall I'm concerned with CEL. I really dont want to deal with the problem and try to fix it. Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanx........

·
Registered
815 Posts
this topic has been discussed many times before. if you want the best intake out there for the v6, just get the cpe. the injen will cause a CEL at one time or another. the mazdaspeed one will not cause a CEL but the cpe intake it probably the best out there. i say go for the cpe.

·
Registered
542 Posts
save up and go for the CP-E, or buy the INJEN with the mafci fix!

·
Registered
901 Posts
the mazdaspeed one WILL thow a CEL sooner or later just like any other intake. Only reason the cp-e one doesnt is becuase of the mafci box which adjusts the a/f ratio.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In my opinion I would get the Mazdaspeed. I haven't gotten one yet myself, but thats the only one you know will come with a warranty from Mazda and you know they can't give you shit about moding your engine. Everyone says its just the AEM one, but who cares. It has a freaking Mazdaspeed logo on it.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
or you could do as i did and spend under 330 total and have the injen with injen fix ;). yes all my stuff was new not used just FYI.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would go with the CP-e intake, even though i dont have one yet but ive read so much good reviews on it that im saving up for one... right now i got the AEM short ram intake, had it for about 3 years and its still going strong. But i do want to up grade to the CP-e intake though, let me know if anyones selling there... ;)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
In my opinion I would get the Mazdaspeed. I haven't gotten one yet myself, but thats the only one you know will come with a warranty from Mazda and you know they can't give you shit about moding your engine. Everyone says its just the AEM one, but who cares. It has a freaking Mazdaspeed logo on it.
[/b]
Agreed. I have the Mazdaspeed and haven't had a problem with it.

From everything I've read, there are really only two choices, so here's easy decision tree for you:
If you know your way around cars and can install one yourself, get the CPE. Excellent performance, no installation cost, you are on your own as far as warranty.

If you want to play the safe side like I did, get the Mazdaspeed and get the dealer to install it. Good Performance, Cheaper product, but you have to pay to install, but is now covered under a warranty.

Choose your poison.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Agreed. I have the Mazdaspeed and haven't had a problem with it.

From everything I've read, there are really only two choices, so here's easy decision tree for you:
If you know your way around cars and can install one yourself, get the CPE. Excellent performance, no installation cost, you are on your own as far as warranty.

If you want to play the safe side like I did, get the Mazdaspeed and get the dealer to install it. Good Performance, Cheaper product, but you have to pay to install, but is now covered under a warranty.

Choose your poison.
[/b]
I agree, except in the MS instructions it actually says you can install it on your own so it is still covered under warranty. I've had the Mazdaspeed intake for about 2 months now and the only thing I like about it is the sound. It's nothing in performance though. Here's your verdict from me:

For performance - CP-E
For warranty - Mazdaspeed

I wouldn't mess with the injen at all, you have to buy the Injen fix for it and you total is close to about 400, might as well save for the CP-E. AEM, ah, still works but no warranty and it's CARB exempt.

If I didn't have warranty on my car still, I would buy the CP-E in a heartbeat, it's the best upgrade for our car at the price and hp gains.

·
Registered
146 Posts
we carry a few intakes for the 6 as well and also are an authorized Mazda/MAZDASPEED Dealer

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
i will most likely be selling my intake either before winter or early in the spring. i havent decided. depends when i can get more money for it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i will most likely be selling my intake either before winter or early in the spring. i havent decided. depends when i can get more money for it.
[/b]
Ur selling ur intake?? Which intake do u have?? i might be interested.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but the warranty is basically just on the part....if they claim the intake caused a problem, it is not covered by the 'warranty' on the intake. If for some reason the intake pipe melts down, then that is covered!!! I could be wrong but that is how I read the warranty.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have Injen and i have CEL as well it's the best you can buy for the money (you'll get intake and CEL LOL) j/k
Anyway i like my injen a lot and cel doesn't bother me.

The only problem i see with CPE intake is lack of plug-and-play feature, and that you have cut through the wires which i'm not afraid.... But after all if dealer want to prove mods on your car and if he finds out cut wires (after you remove CPE box) he wouldn't be happy lol....

Even if Injen will throw a CEL you can get it off really easy and put back to stock without a trace....

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have Injen and i have CEL as well it's the best you can buy for the money (you'll get intake and CEL LOL) j/k
Anyway i like my injen a lot and cel doesn't bother me.

The only problem i see with CPE intake is lack of plug-and-play feature, and that you have cut through the wires which i'm not afraid.... But after all if dealer want to prove mods on your car and if he finds out cut wires (after you remove CPE box) he wouldn't be happy lol....

Even if Injen will throw a CEL you can get it off really easy and put back to stock without a trace....
[/b]
Yeah I agree. I still have 2 years/40k left on my 5/100,000k warrenty and I am thinking of just buying the Injen CAI and holding out for a year or so and then get the fix once my warrenty is over. Plus its getting to be winter up here soon, and who can race in the snow/ice?

Does CP-E offer that Plug you can buy so you do not have to cut the wires? Or is that not what that thing does?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree, except in the MS instructions it actually says you can install it on your own so it is still covered under warranty. I've had the Mazdaspeed intake for about 2 months now and the only thing I like about it is the sound. It's nothing in performance though. Here's your verdict from me:

For performance - CP-E
For warranty - Mazdaspeed

I wouldn't mess with the injen at all, you have to buy the Injen fix for it and you total is close to about 400, might as well save for the CP-E. AEM, ah, still works but no warranty and it's CARB exempt.

If I didn't have warranty on my car still, I would buy the CP-E in a heartbeat, it's the best upgrade for our car at the price and hp gains.
[/b]
I wouldnt say that Mazdaspeed doesnt offer performance. With the mazdaspeed exhaust and intake, I put down 182 hp/163 torque with my 04 ATX. So I wouldnt knock Mazdaspeed about price and performance.

·
Registered
901 Posts
cp-e > everything.

The mazdaspeed one has a warranty...ON THE PART ITSELF. If something breaks and you take it into the dealership they can say the mazdaspeed intake caused it just as they could if you had cp-e on. CP-E definantly gives the BEST gains and has NO chance of a cel.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts