Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if a decent aftermarket filter for the non turbo, 3rd gen engines? I have a 2017 Mazda 6 and was on the market for oil filters since my warranty is just about out and wanted to do my own maintenance. I read somewhere (don't remember) that our Skyactiv engines have a high flow rate when it comes to the oil and very few aftermarket companies made filters that fit the factory specs. Any recommendations besides the factory filters? I know the current filters superceded the old ones made in Japan and currently use the ones made in Thailand.

·
Super Moderator
18,309 Posts
Meh, I've been running standard aftermarket filters for 180k miles with no issues. Here's a report to verify I'm doing just fine.

@tickerguy you use the Mazda ones right? I know your oil reports are more updated and just as good as mine.

·
Super Moderator
18,309 Posts
Mobil 1 M1-108a oil filter with Castrol Edge 0W-20 for me...no issues after 5yrs of oil changes.
I've been using the same oil - Mazda recommends it specifically if you can't get some Moly stuff.

Hastings, Wix (or any variant they make), Amsoil and are good brands along with the Mazda one from Taiwan. Stay the hell away from anything Fram makes.
I typically go Amsoil but now I'm curious why the hate on Fram so much - I know they're a lower-quality brand but millions of people use them with no issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hastings, Wix (or any variant they make), Amsoil and are good brands along with the Mazda one from Taiwan. Stay the hell away from anything Fram makes.
I honestly don't know what's up with all the FRAM hate? I ran their TG and Ultra filters for a long time with no issues on my previous cars. For my Lexus IS-F (V8) I run the OEM ones because they are cheap and readily accessible but I don't see a problem with FRAM offerings. My concern is that which aftermarket filters meet the flow/psi that is on par with OEM because the direct inject engines do put more strain on the oil due to the nature of their design. I am no longer using Blackstone for UOA's because they do not accurately test/measure fuel dilution with their flashpoint tests and fuel dilution is a serious thing in all direct injection engines.

·
Super Moderator
18,309 Posts
I honestly don't know what's up with all the FRAM hate? I ran their TG and Ultra filters for a long time with no issues on my previous cars. For my Lexus IS-F (V8) I run the OEM ones because they are cheap and readily accessible but I don't see a problem with FRAM offerings. My concern is that which aftermarket filters meet the flow/psi that is on par with OEM because the direct inject engines do put more strain on the oil due to the nature of their design. I am no longer using Blackstone for UOA's because they do not accurately test/measure fuel dilution with their flashpoint tests and fuel dilution is a serious thing in all direct injection engines.
So we've had the fuel dilution debate on here quite a few times - while I'm aware Blackstone doesn't accurately test for it, I still use them because there has been very little evidence of these particular DI engines having issues with fuel dilution. We've got multiple people over 200k and at least 1 over 300k miles with zero issues, and there's plenty more on the Cx5 forums who are the same way.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I typically go Amsoil but now I'm curious why the hate on Fram so much - I know they're a lower-quality brand but millions of people use them with no issues.
I tried to find a decent video to explain it, but i couldnt. Based on what ive seen during the 19+ years my dad worked at a parts store made me understand LONG ago that Fram is total shit when it comes to making a good product.

·
Registered
2016 6
486 Posts
The simple and easiest answer for peace of mind: just buy the oem filters. We’ve never had an issue with with the Taiwanese filters at the dealer so I don’t see why anyone shouldn’t use them, plus they’re pretty cheap compared to some other oem filters.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you’re concerned about meeting a rumored flow spec (that Mazda does not provide to the people who have to select and buy filters), then just use Mazda filters. They have a Mazda filter and a Mazda ValueLine (or something like that) filter which is even cheaper.

Wix oil filters are well made. Fram Ultra filters are well made and filter better than anything else (based on ISO test data from about 4?? years ago now, so could have changed). Mobil1 filters are well made, as are Mahle and Bosch, at least usually.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried to find a decent video to explain it, but i couldnt. Based on what ive seen during the 19+ years my dad worked at a parts store made me understand LONG ago that Fram is total shit when it comes to making a good product.
That's understandable but that's also the reason why so many people have the old school train of thought when it comes to automotive maintenance and products. FRAM was absolute garbage 20 years ago but for the past 12 years it has gone under new management and different sources of production. Hell, at one point they were producing OEM Honda filters for cars. Almost the same thing with Mobil 1 and K&N oil filters. They were once owned by Champion Labs and both filters were identical. Only difference was the color of the can and K&N charged more because of the stickers and it had a welded nut to removal easier.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The simple and easiest answer for peace of mind: just buy the oem filters. We’ve never had an issue with with the Taiwanese filters at the dealer so I don’t see why anyone shouldn’t use them, plus they’re pretty cheap compared to some other oem filters.
Taiwan or Thailand? I still have couple Japan filters but can't seem to find those anymore.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Taiwan or Thailand? I still have couple Japan filters but can't seem to find those anymore.
From what I gathered from multiple online resources, the older Japanese filters and part numbers have been superceded by a new one. Those new filters are now built in Thailand. Now, some dealerships may have old new stock of the Japanese filters but they are becoming difficult to find. This is in the US by the way.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
From what I gathered from multiple online resources, the older Japanese filters and part numbers have been superceded by a new one. Those new filters are now built in Thailand. Now, some dealerships may have old new stock of the Japanese filters but they are becoming difficult to find. This is in the US by the way.
In light of this, I've taken to using Wix filters.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone had issues running aftermarket filters on these Skyactiv-G 2.5L engines? There are plenty listed to work with our Mazda 6's from brands like FRAM, Mobil 1, Supertech, K&N, Amsoil, NAPA, etc. here in the US. The thing that concerns me is the fact that the OEM filters lack the anti-drain back valves that most oil filter companies have installed. WIX 57002 is one of the only few aftermarket companies that lack the ADBV for the PY-VPS engines (non turbo). I know vertical/top threaded mounted oil filters really don't need an ADBV but does anyone know if have one in their oil filter, used on this engine causes an issue? I mainly ask because those filters are readily available at any auto parts store.

Sure I can order bulk buy online for the OEM filters but that's not what I'm asking here. I'd like to hear from many if you real world experience and those very familiar with these Skyactiv engines. Based on OEM specification and information, it seems more complicated than your usual Toyota and Honda specs when it comes to parts and how they perform.

·
Registered
385 Posts
No, I have not had a problem with aftermarket filters.

What is the proposed mechanism by which the presence of an (unnecessary?) ADBV causes trouble?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts