Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Probably because the newer Honda's are built in the states rather than Japan. Honda's are still quality japanese vehicles, minus the fuel dilution issues associated with the 1.5 and 2.0T

We've had members complaining of random little issues and quality related nuisances on 2018 and some 2019 models. They seem to be more solid before 2017.
Total BS.

Honda sets up the factory with their tooling. Parts are generally sourced from the same manufacturers. If there is a batch of bad parts it's not because the car is put together in the US or anywhere else.

It's a Global World now.

·
Administrator
8,418 Posts
We've had members complaining of random little issues and quality related nuisances on 2018 and some 2019 models. They seem to be more solid before 2017.
I have an '18 GTR with over 25K miles on it. It sees a lot of construction sites and dirt roads. And snow.

One issue: the seatback switch on the passenger side broke. Replaced under warranty.

EVERY make and model has a lemon or two.

Having said that, the 2018-up models are no different than any other 6, including the two older models I owned.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Side note, I bought myself a wonderful mint 2000 Honda S2000 this summer so that is getting all my attention these days; that and the new garage I am building to put it in. The best part about the S2000 is it doesn't struggle to start, it doesn't make strange knock/pop noises when I turn into driveways and the transmission doesn't do [email protected] up things!
Nice! My friend at work also has an '00 S2000, a white one. That thing is the light of his life, haha.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have an '18 GTR with over 25K miles on it. It sees a lot of construction sites and dirt roads. And snow.

One issue: the seatback switch on the passenger side broke. Replaced under warranty.

EVERY make and model has a lemon or two.

Having said that, the 2018-up models are no different than any other 6, including the two older models I owned.
Do you have any type of clear protection film on the car or anything? I am dead set on soul red however I average 250 miles of highway per week, with snow during the winter months as well as a somewhat lengthy gravel driveway at work. I just don't want it getting all chipped up. I have read that the paint is "thin" or just prone to chipping and I understand it happens as time goes on, but my three year old vehicle now still looks great, no film or anything just regular washes and wax. It does have some rock chips on the rockers and a couple on the hood but you have to look pretty close to see them. Thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Do you have any type of clear protection film on the car or anything? I am dead set on soul red however I average 250 miles of highway per week, with snow during the winter months as well as a somewhat lengthy gravel driveway at work. I just don't want it getting all chipped up. I have read that the paint is "thin" or just prone to chipping and I understand it happens as time goes on, but my three year old vehicle now still looks great, no film or anything just regular washes and wax. It does have some rock chips on the rockers and a couple on the hood but you have to look pretty close to see them. Thanks.
All the paints are the Same in terms of clear coat thinness. Paints such as red, black and white, the dark blue, and any other dark colour need extra care to avoid swirl Marks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
^I figured they were all about the same thickness, however I was wondering if his car was protected with a clear film. I am well aware of the care of a vehicle and its paint, I said nothing about swirl marks. The vehicle that I bought brand new and have owned for nearly three years looks better now than when I bought it.

·
Super Moderator
16,831 Posts
I've had my 6 since February of 2013, put 168k miles on it (95% of it on horrendous Massachusetts roads), and have got stuck behind my share of plow-lines on the highway getting pelted with sand/salt - not to mention the more recent couple of stretches where they scraped the topcoat off but didn't clean up the debris, resulting in dust clouds of asphalt being hurled at 60+mph in every direction......Choice words were used those days :)

I always either do touch-free car washes or do it myself and I've had pretty great luck with the paint so far.

Yes, there are a number of chips in the bumper and a handful of ones on the hood, but nothing you'd see from further than 5ft away. I grabbed a touch up bottle for ~$8 from the dealership and have covered up many of the spots (though mine came with a great little paint brush and they don't do that anymore, it's just the pen which is a pain).

Also, I've heard great things about DrColorChip products and I don't see why I'd need anything more than what they offer for what I've got so far.

That All Being Said: there have been some (not many, but some), cases of EXTRA thin/crappy paint from Mazda (one was on my parent's Cx9) but, in the few cases I'm aware of, Mazda has come out and fixed the issue by redoing the paint.

Check my build thread for pictures of the car through the years and I doubt you'll see any differences :)

·
Administrator
8,418 Posts
Do you have any type of clear protection film on the car or anything?
I seriously considered getting some sort of protectant, but unfortunately, I had other expenses develop at the time, and I never got it done.

In fact, I was just remarking in my "build" thread about how everyone else seemed to have a helluva time with paint chipping off their hoods and fenders, yet my deep blue metallic has barely a few chips on the hood edge, even with all the conditions I drive through. Besides the few scratches that I mistakenly left using a snow brush that was well past it's useful life, the paint on the entire car looks almost brand-new.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I seriously considered getting some sort of protectant, but unfortunately, I had other expenses develop at the time, and I never got it done.

In fact, I was just remarking in my "build" thread about how everyone else seemed to have a helluva time with paint chipping off their hoods and fenders, yet my deep blue metallic has barely a few chips on the hood edge, even with all the conditions I drive through. Besides the few scratches that I mistakenly left using a snow brush that was well past it's useful life, the paint on the entire car looks almost brand-new.
My liquid silver has mostly held up quite well. I'm at 100k Miles. Not major highway car though.

The clear coat on these cars is very, very thin but the quality of the paint itself is quite good. The liquid silver , discontinued after the 2017 refresh has a beautiful flake to it.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts