Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy peoples, newb here from NJ. Current ride is a Chevy SS that is serving as my commuter scooter. I'm wanting to relegate it to garage queen status and in a few months think I'll be ready to pull the trigger on another ride. The plan is to get something that I can kill with miles (I drive 20-25K miles a year) for 4 years, and then it becomes the 1st car for my son when he gets his license. I've test driven both the 6 (GT, they didn't have a Signature for test driving) and Accord Touring. In both cases, I'll be looking for CPO's - let someone else take the depreciation hit, and the CPO warranty is a good selling point to me. Pros and cons to each, but I'm leaning Mazda. All in all, I think it's a better driver, but curious to read more here and see what you all have to say about your 6's.

Signature
Pros: Much better looking ride, and love the interior quality. Really a notch up in the materials department from the Accord. About $2-3K cheaper than the Accord for CPO's with about 5K miles on the odometer.
Cons: Interior feels more cramped. Bose - no thanks. Have it in my SS and Bose will put their name on anything, doesn't mean it's quality. In the GT I test drove, the engine noise was a bit more than I was expecting (not sure if the Signature has better sound insulation). The 6 speed seems a little sleepy (then again, I'm used to driving a stick in the SS).

Accord Touring
Pros: More spacious, more safety tech (not something I'm concerned about for me, but will be the kiddo's first car). Combo of the 2.0T and 10 speed transmission seems a little more lively off the line. Slight bump in MPG, and much better stereo.
Cons: See them EVERYWHERE - don't like being one of the masses (see Chevy SS). Not crazy about the wheel designs. The body color painted plastic on the trunk on every Accord I've seen (that runs between the tailights and around the 'H' badge) doesn't match the paint on the rest of the car - bugs me to no end! Once you see it, you can't unsee it. About $2-3K more expensive, and usually on a car with about 10K miles. Not as big a deal since the Accord usually has better resale value.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I tried a 2.0T Accord Sport, with 6MT. Found it to be a nice car. Reasonably powerful... but more on the top-end, as opposed to right off the line. The 2.5T Mazda will have more useable power... i.e. torque, down low, but will feel a bit winded at the upper mid ranges, and the top-end.

10 speed A/T versus 6 speed A/T: the former will have more shift-events over its life. Ea. shift event is a wear-event, putting wear materials into the ATF. 6 speeds on the Mazda are not bad... might last longer?

The Mazda body thickness, I suspect, is less than the Honda. Mazda paint is very fragile - but I have heard that Honda Accords, too, are suffering in the paint department. I don't know for sure, but by way of rust proofednesss, I suspect the Honda is a mite better than the Mazda.

I find my Mazda carpets exceedingly thin, poorboy by way of pile thickness and feel. But others, too, out there are not great. Was in a 2010 five series BMW the other day... decent looking carpet... but poor pile feel. Was surprised.

As for me, I have a naturally aspirated 2.5.. model year 2017. I believe the new-standard, out there, is 4 cyl. turbo... and I wish I had one.

But for longevity, I am very comfortable having bought my 2017 6MT.

·
Registered
737 Posts
What year(s) are you looking at? Assuming 2018?

Bose - Did you get a chance to adjust the sound settings? Makes a huge difference.

Insulation between GT and Sig. - Not positive but pretty sure they're the same.

Sleepy - Did you put the trans in Sport Mode? Changes the shift points, really wakes it up, noticeably much peppier, sporty.

Our '18 Sig is averaging right close to 30 mpg with a combination city-highway. You can use 87 octane or pickup another 23 HP running 93 octane.

Really couldn't be any happier with the car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry upfront but I'm not going to be too helpful given that both of these cars are a great choice for someone looking for a more connected driving experience than your average. Still love my (manual) 6, especially now that I have a fresh coat of wax on it and a good interior cleaning. With the extended warranty the CPO models typically come with you should be OK with either one and both are solidly build and most likely be reliable with the nod to Mazda since the engine/transmission and most of the car have been tried and true for a number of years now. Honda's engine and 10 speed are very new designs and not proven yet. Too close to call on specs/logic that I would think that with test drives one or the other would have spoken to you. That's how I bought all my cars- create a short list and go drive 'em. Maybe take them out again in the same day?

Did you see this comparison?

·
Registered
104 Posts
They are both safe, reliable cars but when I was 16 I hated driving a car that looking like I was driving my parent's car, I'd love to be given a Mazda as a teen. I do understand that's not your first concern but you will be driving it too. The M6 is so much fun to drive, it's such a stylish car and it's nice have something a little different than every other car out there. I'm so happy I bought mine instead of the Hondas, and Fords I was initially looking at.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It is great to have something unique (6 Signature, or a 6 in general) as there aren't a lot of them on the roads, at least where I live...but I think there is some value in owning a car that is more ubiquitous...I would think any issues would be identified sooner when there are more on the road. More aftermarket/performance parts available, more online support as well.

I have sat in, but not driven, a new Accord and I do like the interior on my 6 better...it looks nicer but I am not 100% it is of actual higher quality.

We have a 2006 Accord also at home and I am impressed with how well it has aged and how it still works pretty good!

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's a tough call. I didn't even look at the Accord or Camry because they are so popular. I see many more Camrys here in St. Louis than I do the new Accords. IMO the Accords' and Camrys' front ends are ugly.

I find my Mazda carpets exceedingly thin, poorboy by way of pile thickness and feel. But others, too, out there are not great. Was in a 2010 five series BMW the other day... decent looking carpet... but poor pile feel. Was surprised.
I don't know about the floor mats in your 17 but the ones that came in my 18 are the thickest pile carpeted floor mats I have ever seen in a vehicle. My BF's 18 Sport bought at different dealership had the same exact thick floor mats as well. Maybe they changed them when they did the refresh. They have 3/4-1" of pile to them.

Too close to call on specs/logic that I would think that with test drives one or the other would have spoken to you. That's how I bought all my cars- create a short list and go drive 'em. Maybe take them out again in the same day?
I did the same thing. When I was on the fence between a 18 Fusion Titanium AWD or my 18 6 Signature. I made a pros and cons list and then decided on what pros/cons were more important than others.

It is great to have something unique (6 Signature, or a 6 in general) as there aren't a lot of them on the roads, at least where I live...but I think there is some value in owning a car that is more ubiquitous
I agree about owning a vehicle that not many others have. I miss my 2013 Buick Regal Turbo because of that. The 6 is the closest thing that is in my price point that was close to the level of refinement and engaging as to drive. I should have never gotten rid of that car 2 years ago but I do love my 6 just as much. All my other vehicles have been cookie cutter ones.

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
In my opinion:

The Accord is for going A to B, the Mazda is for DRIVING. If you enjoy driving, get a Mazda, if you're just looking to get somewhere, still get a Mazda because they're just as reliable, just as safe, better quality and way nicer looking. :D

But I digress. Of course you're going to get very biased opinions on this site, but I think all of us here can agree that we love our cars and got them for the fun feeling of driving them just about anywhere. I have had mine for over 6.5 years and have put over 160k miles on it and I still love driving it every single day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My guess on the M6 tester is that it's probably running on RUG, not Premium, so that probably also contributed to my perception of it not being as fast as the Accord.

As for the Bose, I've yet to be impressed regardless of the vehicle it's in. I turn off Centerpoint in the Bose system in my SS, and it's still such a weak system. We have one in our Pathfinder as well which is marginally better. At the end of the day, the old saying of 'No highs, no lows, must be Bose' still applies. The one in the M6 is decent, but honestly the one in the Accord is better. The 40-something year old me doesn't care as much as the 20-year old me would have either way.

One nit that I forgot to mention on the Accord is the push button shifter. I just don't get that design, especially since the buttons still take up a good chunk of real estate that a traditional shifter could have occupied.

There's one other oddball that I'm considering as well, but I haven't test driven it yet - a CPO'd Lincoln Continental Reserve. They hold value like a screen door on a submarine holds water, so you can get the 2.7 TT with AWD for not much more that the Mazda or Accord. But the more expensive bells and whistles mean more expensive repairs, and it's more of a gussied up Fusion that is a luxury sled, no sporting pretenses. I'm still leaning towards the Mazda.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can't go wrong with either car. I'd say the 6 is not a numbers car, because Mazda didn't design that way. If you're trying to get the most space or 0-60 time, then the Accord is going to come out on top for spec sheets. However, in terms of overall enjoyment and satisfaction, the 6 just won it for me over the Accord, even though the dealer was offering the Accord for cheaper.

Anyone who's ridden/driven my 2018 6 GTR has been shocked that it's MSRP is less than a base TLX. I've gotten endless comments on even just exterior design. The current 6 looks like a Japanese luxury sedan(which it really is, in my opinion) and you could totally fool people by telling them it's a $50,000 car if they don't know anything about Mazda.

When my father came to visit and drove it, he immediately noticed how quick the 6 speed transmission is. Off the line the Accord is quick for sure, but when you're already rolling in the power band the 6 will smoke almost any asshole on the highway except for the most powerful muscle or luxury cars. Sport mode? Forget it. My father actually equated to be equal to his powerful motorcycles in terms of acceleration.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The current 6 looks like a Japanese luxury sedan(which it really is, in my opinion)....

....but when you're already rolling in the power band the 6 will smoke almost any asshole on the highway except for the most powerful muscle or luxury cars. Sport mode? Forget it. My father actually equated to be equal to his powerful motorcycles in terms of acceleration.

Both of those are great points. I really think the 6 looks the part of a Japanese sporty luxury sedan...I absolutely love the angles of it and I enjoy looking at it so much.

That power band comment is also really spot on. The car does pull hard. I am getting used to it now but catching the car in its sweet spot, especially when it leisurely shifts into second and you hammer it and can catch the wave of torque, you can tell it's got power and I love it.

I guess I kinda still like my car ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the decision was made, and not what you would have expected. I eliminated the Accord (not a fan of the push button shifter, higher price like for like, and you simply see too many of them on the road). So that left me with 3 options.
  • Option 1: Do nothing, and run my Chevy SS into the ground (80K miles and rising fast)
  • Option 2: Get a CPO'd Mazda 6, run it for 4 years and give it to my son. Relegate the SS to garage queen status as a weekend car.
  • Option 3: Sell the SS, and get a Jag XF Sportbrake (absolutely LOVE the look of these, they never sold, and there were still new 2018's nailed to the showroom floor gathering dust, going for > $25K off)
The emotional part of me really want to go with the Jag. Love that car, and financially it would have been the same cost-wise as option 2. But then 4 years down the road I'll have killed the Jag with miles and not have a solution to my son's first car. So at the end of the day, I've opted to go with Option 2. I found a silver CPO'd '18 Signature with < 4K miles out of state that I will be picking up this week. Amazing how much value for the dollar these are used. Thank you depreciation, I'll take $10K off for a practically brand new car and a better warranty. So I'm soon to officially be in the Mazda family, very excited!

·
Administrator
8,419 Posts
I bought mine brand-new.

Worth. Every. penny.

Either way, congrats on the "new" 6! You'll enjoy it, and won't be spending time and $$$ at the Jag dealer service department...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts