Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. So I went to the local dealership as opposed to the one 30 miles away for 2 main reasons. 1) Convenience. They're closer. 2) My neighbor is a salesman there, so I figured he'd do right by me. I have the S-plan pricing, so price negotiating wasn't a factor. I just figured he'd be easier to deal with, might try to pull some strings since he knows me, etc. etc. etc.

So from the beginning, it seems I'm the one telling him everything. When I was initially interested in the car and took it for a test drive back in February, I asked him what delivery time would be if I ordered. He said that standard "6-8 weeks". I was skeptical, after reading the boards, that delivery would be that quick. I told him I thought 8-12 weeks was more realistic. I had to tell him about the possible production delays in the sport package models due to shortage of the larger wheels (info I got from here and/or Edmunds board). And whenever I've called him to see if a VIN was assigned yet, to see if a build date has been assigned yet, what the hold-up is, etc. etc. he always comes back with "Let me check with Brian and see if he knows anything." This Brian guy is the Mazda sales manager at the dealership.

So....does the salesman who handles your freaking order and most likely gets the commission, actually know NOTHING about the status of your car, and have to constantly run to his boss for any updates???? That just seems stupid and ridiculous to me.

I just sent my salesman/neighbor an email the other day asking "Any word yet on a production date on my car? How aggravating. If I had any idea it would be 16+ weeks from the time I ordered until when I MIGHT get the car, I woulda been tempted to just wait for the '04 model year. Do you have any idea what the big hold-up is? Production delays of some sort still, or something?"

To which he responded: "I left brian a message if he's heard anything at all." Why can my own salesman not find anything out, without running to his boss the Mazda sales manager to get updates??

Is my dealer just screwy or what??

My husband wants me to cancel my order and tell my neighbor that I'll just wait for an '04 model year instead at this point. But I don't want to do that for 3 reasons: 1) I'll have to start the 8-16 week wait period all over again; 2) I'll probably end up paying more for the same damn car, since Mazda raised their base prices right after my order, and they'll probably raise them again for the new model year; and 3) If the release the '04 models like they did the '03s - in December - I won't be getting my new car until next spring - almost a whole year away!!! I'm not too thrilled to be getting a '03 year car over half-way thru summer, and technically it would already be almost a "year old" in car model terms by the time I get it, which would affect resale if I ever wanted to sell it. But I really don't want to go thru this all over again, you know?

Grrrrrrrr... :(

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Reading Topic: Dealing with your salesman...

Sounds about right. Mazda dealers are pretty much hte dumbest people I've ever met.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Dealing with your salesman...'

When I first started looking into the 6, I chatted with one salesman who was very knowledgeable. Then a few weekends ago I went to the Mazda dealership right near my house, and that "kid" salesman didn't know shit. It seems like the salespeople there were desperate for sales, whereas when I went by the Honda dealership, all of the salespeople were busy with customers (!).

·
Registered
628 Posts

It may just be that your neighbor doesn't have access to the computer system that give out that information. I know that my salesman did, but that may be different at every dealership...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

It was blatantly obvious that the young gentlemen who sold me my car knew nothing about it. I could care less though, from reading about it and because of these forums, I knew everything I needed to know. Then again, the 6 I wanted was already on the lot when I got there, so I didn't have to deal with all the incompetent ordering stuff. Due to such high demand and poor planning, it doesn't surprise me that order a new 6 is such a clusterfuck.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Hey, at least yours could speak english. Mine just went on and on about how White Plains isn't as nasty of a city as it used to be (BS).

·
Registered
526 Posts

Sounds pretty normal to me. Most car sales guys don't have the authority to go to the restroom without asking for guidance first.

They really know nothing, and it's not their fault. It's the way that industry is structured. If you don't know him or her already - call the General Manager. Not the sales manager. The General Manager will be able to get you a reliable answer. Even though he'll have to ask someone, he's got the authority to get answers fast. Tell him what your problem is - ie, talking to the sales guy, who talks to the sales manager who talks to Brian who calls.....

·
Registered
72 Posts

I've talked to 3 or 4 sales people in the process of getting my car. Now I didn't put mine on order since I really didn't want to wait. No one had the configuration I wanted in stock and I eventually ended up driving 280 miles to get it after searching inventories on my own.

I only had 2 really helpful salespeople. One was a woman who was part of the internet order department of a close dealership. She didn't try to pull anything and was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and helped me to figure out that no dealership in the area had what I wanted. The other was the salesman that I did buy from eventually. Of course he was also the only one that had what I wanted in stock. He was very helpful though and also didn't try anything sneaky. I got my car for about $300 over invoice.

As far as the bad ones, I had one that was very pushy trying to sell something they had in stock even though I repeatedly told him what I wanted. He also knew nothing about the platform and I caught him several times trying to pass something off as fact that wasn't about the 6. I eventually had to walk away with him yelling after me to come back and look at something else. After that he still called my office and home everyday until I told him I bought a car from someone else. Needless to say I'm not going back to him for anything.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Dealing with your salesman...'

I dealt with three mazda dealerships. Each dealership answered the exact same question differently.

"Sure we can get that"

"We can have it by tommorow"

"We'll call you right back"

"It'll be a week"

"Looks like it might be next week"

"You can't get that combination"

"Ya, sure you can get that combination"

"This car is really really rare" (He says with around 12 in the lot behind him)

"The manual's easy to get"

"The manual will take 3-4 months"

"You'll have to order that"

"I'm sure a dealer has one and we can get it for you"

"Sure that package is under the Costco/AAA/UBS price plans"

"Oh I'm sorry, the sports edition isn't under the Costco/AAA/UBS...but we'll be happy to negotiate with you"

·
Registered
72 Posts

"Sure we can get that"
"We can have it by tommorow"
"You can't get that combination"
"I'm sure a dealer has one and we can get it for you"
"Ya, sure you can get that combination"
"This car is really really rare"

I heard all of these pretty often but they were all lieing through their teeth.

"You'll have to order that"

This was the only honest answer I really got.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

"We don't like to do S-Plan"
"We can't give you a sports package on S-Plan"
"Sure we'll do S-Plan on anything including Sports Pkg and cars we don't have in stock"
"We won't do a locate on S-Plan"
"We can order one if you like"
"We won't order on S-Plan"
"You can't get a moon roof without the sports package"
"Sure you can get a moon roof without the sports package"
"We just got a Lapis Blue one in we'll give you for $750 below invoice"
"Oh no that Lapis Blue one has 5000 miles on it"
"We can't get them in fast enough"
"You're eligible for the college discount"
"You have to be within 6 months of graduation, your other dealership is worng"
"Nope you can be within 2 years now"

etc etc