Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the dealership in Ottawa and they said I shouldnt change over to full synthetic :huh: ... the stock motocraft oil they use is semi-syn. and I am not supposed to use full synthetic ... Is this true ??

I was going to switch over to Mobil1 0W-20 ... how much would I need for a full flush + fill ???

·
Registered
947 Posts
:search:

Sorry I just had to do it... There has been a ton of posts talking about why it's good to use synthetic...

IMO, For the most part, dealers are dumb and cheap... Ever thought why they use a semi-synthetic on the 6? Because it is cheaper then full but better then the reg and it helps the car...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I did search and i know full synthetic is BETTER but the dealer says not to use it and I was like wtf ?! ... how much engine oil does the V6 need after a flush ??

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Don't listen to your dealer, synthetic is perfectly fine to use on your car. You can run w-20 mobil1 and it fully complies with the requirements for our cars :D And the V6 holds 6 quarts, its in your owners manual.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't listen to your dealer, synthetic is perfectly fine to use on your car. You can run w-20 mobil1 and it fully complies with the requirements for our cars :D And the V6 holds 6 quarts, its in your owners manual.
[/b]
hey thanks man !!! he said I'd have to flush the old oil ... is that true ?? it's gonna cost me $90 to do that ...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not true. No flush is necessary. Just switch over to full syn on your next oil change.
[/b]
hey man are you sure about that ??? I have been using the stock mazda oil ..

the dealer said its not good to have both semi-syn. and full-syn. mixed, really ???

·
Registered
675 Posts
hey man are you sure about that ??? I have been using the stock mazda oil ..

the dealer said its not good to have both semi-syn. and full-syn. mixed, really ???
[/b]

Dealer this Dealer that, those guys are all tools. You are perfectly fine switching over the full if you want. Ive done it from semi and Im sure there are many more that have as well. I switched at 10k and have gone 20k+ with no issues.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer this Dealer that, those guys are all tools. You are perfectly fine switching over the full if you want. Ive done it from semi and Im sure there are many more that have as well. I switched at 10k and have gone 20k+ with no issues.
[/b]
haha .. gotta love that attitude !! so i dont have to get that "flush" BS done ?? just a drain and fill ?? :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just drain and fill. I've done it as well at around 10 000kms. I use royal purple 5w-20 full synthetic with the filters from mazda (havent bothered to look for the aftermarket ones yet, tho i'm sure there are plenty good ones.) Now i'm at 40 000kms and no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YOU ARE ALL MY HEROS !!!

@Squireglig: how is the Royal Purple oil ??? I am thinking of getting that too .... did you notice an improvement ??

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
yeah i m using royal purple as well... and with stock mazda filter... if only k&n comes out with engine oil filter for our 4-cyl... :(

where did u get it, Squireglig? i got mine from performance improvement in guelph.....

·
Registered
599 Posts
haha .. gotta love that attitude !! so i dont have to get that "flush" BS done ?? just a drain and fill ?? :)
[/b]
Here is a theory... If you switch oil brand (or whatever), this means you won't be coming to them for service anymore. That means they can't take you money anymore. So they pull the wool over your eyes to see if they can bluff you into sticking with them to do the services. Happens all the time... it most cases it works.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
:search:

Sorry I just had to do it... There has been a ton of posts talking about why it's good to use synthetic...

IMO, For the most part, dealers are dumb and cheap... Ever thought why they use a semi-synthetic on the 6? Because it is cheaper then full but better then the reg and it helps the car...
[/b]
synthetic oil molecules are harder to break down
in a long run if you don't maintain your vehicle properly, it will leave a residue (not draining the oil properly or leaving it for too long in the engine)

dealers use prescribed oil by mazda because it was engineered that way, mazda decided that for a long run, it is better to have non synthetic due to complications if customers were not to be performing oil change regularly

usually if you re beating your engine (revving high and racing) synthetic would be best

if u re driving regularly, regular oil from Mazda dealer is fine

Mazda dealers are given these type of oils for a reason. There are some exceptions but believe it or not, they are the experts, they were trained specifically for our cars. They deal with Mazda cars on a daily basis while we drive it on a daily basis

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
synthetic oil molecules are harder to break down
in a long run if you don't maintain your vehicle properly, it will leave a residue (not draining the oil properly or leaving it for too long in the engine)

dealers use prescribed oil by mazda because it was engineered that way, mazda decided that for a long run, it is better to have non synthetic due to complications if customers were not to be performing oil change regularly

usually if you re beating your engine (revving high and racing) synthetic would be best

Mazda dealers are given these type of oils for a reason. There are some exceptions but believe it or not, they are the experts, they were trained specifically for our cars. They deal with Mazda cars on a daily basis while we drive it on a daily basis
[/b]
then why dont they use synthetic oil ?? most ppl. on these forums use synthetic, right ??

·
Registered
947 Posts

[/b]
I bet most of the people here rev their motors "high"...

There are some exceptions but believe it or not, they are the experts, they were trained specifically for our cars.[/b]
In some small cases that is true, but I've seem first hand an 'expert' put on a wheel and air ratchet it on, w/out even trying to torque it right... Then finding out, because he did that, the brand new rotors he just installed got warped...

I don't know about you, but if a simple task of torquing a wheel is too hard for an 'expert', I wouldn't trust them...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
9 Participants
Squireglig
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing