Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a low power delivery(not a powerloss).
I took it to the dealer and they got back to me with the following:

Sensor is detecting lower octane gas.

I always put 93 in and the car always had normal power.
I usually put shell gas in but I think this last tank I put in gas from Chevron.
Dealer is recommending to drive few tanks full and see what happens.

Prior to this problem I had check engine light come on which turned out to be some sensor needed replacing. I don't have the name of that sensor right in front of me at the moment. The dealer said it had something to do with fumes from the gas tank not recirculating properly.

Any ideas, suggestions?

P.S. dealer seems to be very helpful at the moment.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Did ya eat chili? Mexican food? :)

Thats the purge valve I belive you are talking about.

Just drive around till this tank is empty, re-fill. If the problem does not go away after a few gallons threw the new tank then take it back and tell them to fix it.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
dealer says i have bad gas...[/b]
Well, that's why you don't go right from Toxic Hell (Taco Bell) to the dealer. At least go outside before you let one rip...

:laugh: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist...thread.....title.......too....hard....to....ignore....

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just had to leave my office after my last, hot gas...

You know it's good when you make yourself sick!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heh,

i wish it was as easy as that :swearin: , although i do hate mexican food or chilli.

Why was it moved to newbie section?
Is it like a knows problem? I have been on these boards for a while...
If it is, what can I do.

I suppose it is possible to get bad batch of gas...

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I freakin' love Mexican food and chili, so does everybody else here. That's why you are a newb.

On to your issue, I think that he could be right, no harm in running a few tanks through it. But, in truth it sounds like he is stalling and hoping that with a few tanks of gas the problem will self correct. Please, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Was there a CEL after you had a drop in power? You noted that the dealer said "sensor" reading showed "low octane". If no CEL was present after you took it to the dealer, I'm wondering how the dealer was able to read the sensor for low octane? I'm wondering if the ECU was re-learning the fuel trims after the purge valve was replaced? That could account for a different SOTP performance.

I've used both Chevron and Shell (91) and I've found my speed6 tends to be a tad more responsive on Shell gas but that could be in my head. Please keep us updated, . . . thanks.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
case of bad gas, eh? haha :laugh:

always a possibility or the dealership is trying to stall some time to hope the problem fixes itself!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
You know, Ive been thinking about your bad gas. I think that you should disconnect the battery and reset the computer. See if that makes any defference. There, that's an honest answer to a funny question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.