Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to change the spark plugs in my 2006 GT.

I don't want to take it to the dealer here as their customer service is very poor. They are not responsive to questions and you rarely get to talk to a mechanic about any issue.

I typically have oil and tires done at a Firestone. Those guys are on-point every time, check the alignment any time I ask and/or every other oil change.

I read some how-to's on a spark plug change. Seemed to be a lot of stuff to remove to get to the plugs.

Questions: Is this something most major repair shops can do or should I bite my lip and take it to the dealer.

I just want a quality job.

Also, while I am at this is there really any benefit to different spark plugs than the stock ones? I see a lot of info on here but is there really any proof.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Assume you have the V6. My dealer wanted $300ish to do mine. I think NTB quoted me around half that. I happened to have some time off work and did it myself for the cost of the plugs. The front 3 are completely easy to do. Removing (or moving) the intake manifold to get to the back 3 is a pain and what drives up the cost.

One thing you may want to consider is replacing the coil packs too while they have it apart so you don't have to pay labor again down the road to do it.

If you want to save some money (as shops usually adds a little to the cost of the parts), you could find out where they get their parts (around here shops use Napa and Oreilly's), get the parts for the front three and do them yourself. Then have the shop do the back 3.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Assume you have the V6. My dealer wanted $300ish to do mine. I think NTB quoted me around half that.
I got hold of a Mazda tech from my local dealer, gave him $75 to replace all coils + spark plugs. I gave him the coils and spark plugs. He did the job in 35 minutes flat in front of my eyes. smooth.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I am ready to change the spark plugs in my 2006 GT.

I don't want to take it to the dealer here as their customer service is very poor. They are not responsive to questions and you rarely get to talk to a mechanic about any issue.

I typically have oil and tires done at a Firestone. Those guys are on-point every time, check the alignment any time I ask and/or every other oil change.

I read some how-to's on a spark plug change. Seemed to be a lot of stuff to remove to get to the plugs.

Questions: Is this something most major repair shops can do or should I bite my lip and take it to the dealer.

I just want a quality job.

Also, while I am at this is there really any benefit to different spark plugs than the stock ones? I see a lot of info on here but is there really any proof.
i heard alot of people like the these spark plugs...
NGK Irdium IX

·
Registered
222 Posts
+1 on the NGK Iridium IX plugs. I think they are $6 or $7 a piece, but are great plugs for the price. +1 also on replacing the coils same time as you do the plugs. Any shop can do this, it is a very simple job... maybe not compared to some cars to replace spark plugs, but generally speaking it is a very simple job. Any shop can do it, don't take it to the dealer. Or, learn to do it yourself, and replace the plugs AND coils for what the shop will charge you just for the plugs. Even taking your time and going slow, with little mechanical experience, it will take you 3 hours tops. It's just nuts and bolts, plus our write-ups give you pics and detail for every step.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
+1 on the NGK Iridium IX plugs. I think they are $6 or $7 a piece, but are great plugs for the price. +1 also on replacing the coils same time as you do the plugs. Any shop can do this, it is a very simple job... maybe not compared to some cars to replace spark plugs, but generally speaking it is a very simple job. Any shop can do it, don't take it to the dealer. Or, learn to do it yourself, and replace the plugs AND coils for what the shop will charge you just for the plugs. Even taking your time and going slow, with little mechanical experience, it will take you 3 hours tops. It's just nuts and bolts, plus our write-ups give you pics and detail for every step.

Just make sure that they check the spacing of each spark plug. Sometimes they might be a little off but they can fix that right away... Easy to do...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I assumed the task was easy but just am not sure about newer cars. Before I bought the 2006 in '06, I did not have a car for 12 years. The car I had before that was a 4 cyl Renault Encore beater, before that was a 81 Monte Carlo. They were cavernous under the hood compared to this Mazda.

I don't really have a good place, tools or time to do this so I will just have the Firestone guys handle it.

At 40K miles do the coils really need replacing? I notice a rougher idle and a bit of sluggishness, so thinking the plugs may help.

Plus they are doing oil change, alignment, tire balance, and break inspection/repair at the same time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The coils may not be necessary but it will save you the cost of paying that labor twice. Most people change plugs and wires at the same time. Same kinda thing here (except you do not have plug wires)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Thanks. I assumed the task was easy but just am not sure about newer cars. Before I bought the 2006 in '06, I did not have a car for 12 years. The car I had before that was a 4 cyl Renault Encore beater, before that was a 81 Monte Carlo. They were cavernous under the hood compared to this Mazda.

I don't really have a good place, tools or time to do this so I will just have the Firestone guys handle it.

At 40K miles do the coils really need replacing? I notice a rougher idle and a bit of sluggishness, so thinking the plugs may help.

Plus they are doing oil change, alignment, tire balance, and break inspection/repair at the same time.
This will help a little. You still need to do all of that. I think you should be good on the coils most people only replace them when they go bad...

Throttle Body/Engine/Chassis Grounding:
NRG Grounding Wire System - 6Crew.com Forum

The recommended list here will help your stock car a lot. A few free minor mods that will go a long way with your car...
http://forum.mazda6club.com/3-0l-v6/239248-3-0l-v6-one-stop-shop.html#post3295210

·
Registered
222 Posts
I didn't realize you only have 40,000 miles on your car. You may have some other issues going on besides the plugs/coils. Your stock plugs should be good until at least 60,000-70,000 miles (could go over 100,000 miles, but with our precats I wouldn't chance that). I also wouldn't worry about the coils at only 40,000 miles. I replaced my original coils around 90,000 miles, and they were still working 100% with 0 issues. However, again with our precats I would replace them before they start going bad and causing misfires. I think 40,000 miles is too soon to replace your plugs or coils. Do you have a CEL? I would look at other possible problems before you spend the $ on those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fortunately, I have Firestone's lifetime alignment and bought my tires there. So the alignment, balancing, etc is all done at no charge. Just the tune up and the oil change.

Considered synthetic but don't know that's there is a real benefit. I used to be a grease monkey in high school but now I'm a computer nerd and really out of touch with modern engines, maintenance, and best practices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts