Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
This is my first post on this site............... need your help.

I took my 06 Speed6 to the dealer to get the 7500 mile oil and tire roation on friday. I picked it up a few hrs latter and started to drive home. It is a 35 mile drive home, all interstate speeds. The car drove fine, untill I got to a stoplight. I come to a stop and there where plumes of white smoke coming up out of the hood. I pull over to a parking lot and pop the hood. And there I see it ...... The Oil Fill Cap is sitting on the shock tower.. not 3 inches from its home! Hot oil is drippin everywhere, down the hood cover, on the intercooler, down the side of the car. I call the service manager and let him know what is going on. I was pissed but I think I was pretty nice to him. He said they would send a towtruck... I stressed to him to make sure it was a flatbed. They called and got me a rental, so now im sporting a Cadalac (POS). So now here is the kicker... so a few hrs go by and the wrecker shows up and the car has cooled down. I check the dip stick.... there is no oil on it at all !

So my first thought is oil starvation at the turbo. It might now show symtems today or this year be whats it going to do when I got 60k miles on. Im going to call Mazda USA first thinng Monday and get an area rep on the phone. Do you guys have any words of advice?

Thanks for the Time QBANG

·
Registered
679 Posts
OMG. Call customer service RIGHT NOW. Stress to them that the turbo is OIL COOLED and you can't accept this car due to the unforseen damage. Also get writing some letters to send it. Schedule an appointment with the owner of the dealer too. Dress in nice clothes. DOn't forget to use spell check! Good luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't know about a new car but you definitely deserve a new engine / turbo at minimum, at no cost to you.

This is a good example why I no longer trust anyone to work on my cars but me!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't know about a new car but you definitely deserve a new engine / turbo at minimum, at no cost to you.

This is a good example why I no longer trust anyone to work on my cars but me!
[/b]
+1 for that... if you want something done right.... do it yourself...

hope it works out for you...

·
Registered
595 Posts
sucks.....but I bet they just top off the oil and send you on your way if there is no sign of damage. Maybe they will throw in a free oil change for next time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
sucks.....but I bet they just top off the oil and send you on your way if there is no sign of damage. Maybe they will throw in a free oil change for next time.
[/b]
That's absolutely what they will try to do... but it's not right. Please fight until you are blue in the face for a new engine/turbo.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[/b]

I know thats what they are going to try...... but when you put a turbo into the mix, Im not going to let them get away with it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know thats what they are going to try...... but when you put a turbo into the mix, Im not going to let them get away with it.
[/b]
Don't take no for an answer. The dealer will not want to address this as it is their fault, not warranty work. Even if the engine runs fine now, there is no way to determine the extra wear this caused. For sure, it shortened the life of the engine. Too bad you didn't drive until it seized---then they'd have no choice but replacement. Good luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had this exact same problem. Took the car to a Mazda dealership for an oil change and they forgot to put the oil cap back on. In my situation I hadn't driven it very far before I noticed the smoking engine so I put the oil cap back on and drove it back to the dealership.

Long story short, two power washes to the engine and a few replaced parts later, most of the engine is back to looking how it should be. The only visible signs is oil "crud" spots on some of the lower, hard-to-reach pieces.

I'm not sure what the dealership will do for you but here's some of what I had to go through.

- The power washes to clean up the engine caused the hood liner to get damaged. I made them replace this.

- The oil completely soaked into the rubber air liners around the engine, these liners dripped oil FOR WEEKS. I made them replace all these as well.

- Various hoses and tubes throughout the engine had oil "crud" on them. I used a biodegradable degreaser to get off as much as I could and then made them replace the one that got damaged the worst.

Needless to say I learned a very valuable lesson. ALWAYS double check everything in your engine/car before driving away after being serviced.

I feel for you! :-(

·
Registered
744 Posts
honestly in my opinon i dont think there will be much damage as our turbo (correct me if i wrong) is liquid/ oil cooled. Did your oil light come on? if not i think your safe. I wouldnt be happy. id make them clean everything and try to get new turbo/motor. But the dealership is gonna look at it and say theres some oil left no perment damage was done. and try to give you something gay like a free oil change. Try to get an extended warrenty or somehting out of this.

Ihad the same thing happen with a 92 eclipse turbo. Ran it for 200 miles with the cap off. It now has 180k miles on it and it still running

·
Registered
358 Posts
Oil change is so easy on the MS6. There's a 'how to' also if you need it. Change it yourself.... this way it will be done right!!!
Should have the turbo replaced or whole engine swap with a new one.

·
Registered
583 Posts
have THEM document everything. get THEM to admit everything and make sure every step from here on out is documented. keep your receipt fromt the oil change, the wrecker coming out, and take pictures and videos. have the service manager or the highest person in the dept sign everything. you need their admission of guilt. if they won't replace everything you should demand at least they warranty the car as long as you own it with no deductible to pay. GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING AND IN GREAT DEATAIL.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Depending on how they handle this, we should all write Mazda and complain. If the dealer miraculously accepts fault and replaces the engine/turbo, fine, but if not I think a letter from everyone saying something to the effect that if Mazda doesn't force their dealers to take accountability for their actions we will stop purchasing Mazdas would be effective. I think the Mazda corporation as a whole tries to be fair to the consumer. Just read the recent news about a shipload of new Mazdas that tilted during transport - even though I imagine the damage to the cars are minimal, Mazda is selling them all as used with new car warranties, and making sure the dealers disclose what happened to the cars.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Damn, dude. That SUCKS!!! :swearin: The absolute minimum you need to get out of this if they stick oil back in it and say it is "OK" is a free extended warranty on your powertrain to 100,000 miles. :yesnod: Period. See the General Manager at the dealer if you have to. Make sure it is the Mazda Extended Service Plan. That way there will be no hassles no matter what dealer you use it at. ;) Good luck!!!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Depending on how they handle this, we should all write Mazda and complain. If the dealer miraculously accepts fault and replaces the engine/turbo, fine, but if not I think a letter from everyone saying something to the effect that if Mazda doesn't force their dealers to take accountability for their actions we will stop purchasing Mazdas would be effective. I think the Mazda corporation as a whole tries to be fair to the consumer. Just read the recent news about a shipload of new Mazdas that tilted during transport - even though I imagine the damage to the cars are minimal, Mazda is selling them all as used with new car warranties, and making sure the dealers disclose what happened to the cars.
[/b]
LOL, that ain't gonna Do shit!! We alreday brought the car...What's losing you out of the many Mazda owners that buy this car gonna do?...you have your mazda, you are stuck paying for it...They will read our letters laugh them off and throw them away.

A couple of people on a Mazda6 forum barely dents the surface!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd push for a free extended warranty. No money out of their pocket if there was damage, and if there was damage of the sorts that 'took life' from the turbo, you are covered years from now if a bearing of gasket goes. Win-win. Get it in writing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree withe last post, the mistake they made of not replacing your oil cap could have caused some accelerated wear on your engine/turbo. I would ask for an extended warantee to cover any potential damage. Hopefully they will give you a MEPP extended warantee which will allow you to service your car anywere and is transferrable.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bring a witness with you when you go in to discuss this with the dealer - this one may end up in court eventually.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This is absolutely horrible! So sorry you got into this!

My $0.02: They replace everything that is supposed to be lubricated by the oil. Why would I want an extended warranty on components that may have degraded performance either now or anytime down the road? They can either pull apart every component to check for premature wear, or just replace the components. I'd already have a lawyer on the phone because if they get difficult they can pay for that too. Sorry, I'm just not very forgiving when professionals make inexcusable mistakes.

Was this your first oil change? If you do get a new engine, PLEASE do the first oil change at 1000 miles, not 7500 like the manual recommends. If I showed you the oil filter off my MS6 that I cut open at 1000 miles you wouldn't even think twice about it. (It looked like metallic brown paint.)

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts