Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today i decided to take my car in for an oil-change. I had a small list of additional concerns that i wanted them to look at as well..

1) Brakes- for the 2nd time in 11k miles i've noticed and felt very significant grooves in my front rotors. The first time i noiced the rotors were replaced.

2) Oil consumption question- possible leak??

Answers:

MD- The rotors will groove- it just happens
Me- Like that?
MD- yeah, its part of wear and tear
Me- Sorry but i've owned 10 cars prior to this one and never have i seen my Rotors grooved unless they were damaged. especially twice now after only 11k.
MD- Im sorry, im not sure what you would like us to do
Me- Replace the Rotors--AGAIN.
MD- let me check with my manager on that
Me- (disgusted)- ok.
MD- (10 mins later)- Ok- weve decided to replace the Rotors AND the pads this time....
Me- (in my head- WTF ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? YOU REPLACED THE ROTORS AND NOT THE PADS THE LAST TIME????)- Great, thanks

Asked the Tech directly-
Me- Did you happen to notice if there was an oil leak? i've read that the Oil Pan seals were leaking on "these cars"
MT- Yeah, i looked- no leaks.
me- why do you suppose i have to add a qt of oil in between oil changes?
MT- not sure- maybe its burning it??
WHAT THE F?? is this an answer that holds water? If my car is not leaking oil, where is this 1+ qt going over the coarse of 5k miles??

After 3+ hours there this is what was done
Oil Change, tire rotation and car wash....UGH!

good news- "winterization" (spell??) was free, oil change included because of the wait

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Hol up mayne...so you tellin me that after all of that crap. All you got was that?...No answer on the oil leak?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You got Hosed!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats it...No official answer on the Oil and 3 hours of my life wasted and lost forever.

You got Hosed![/b]
I dont know if i necessarily got hosed, they are after all replacing my rotors(again) and pads! :)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I take back my complaining about not getting a loaner car today. Your problems are much worse.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I know the v6 has a tendency to burn some oil but never heard of the speed with this problem :\

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If you feel that the tech was wrong, why don't go and look for yourself?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did you say your car used 1qt of oil in 5000 miles? If so, that sounds about right. All engines eat oil, one quart in 5000 miles is actually pretty good.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Did you say your car used 1qt of oil in 5000 miles? If so, that sounds about right. All engines eat oil, one quart in 5000 miles is actually pretty good.

-Mike[/b]
Huh? Unless you own an exotic(alfa, ferrari, lambo, etc), you should not be burning oil, especially a quart in 5k miles. I've got about 5K on my car (2k since the change to syn) and I've not lost anything. If you've lost a quart in 5K, you've got bad rings/seals/or something else. Modern motors should not burn oil, unless they are f'd up

·
Registered
176 Posts

-Mike[/b]
I'm just at the 10K point. I changed at 5K and the oil was still on the "full" mark. I now have 5K on this oil change and it is still full. I put over 90K on a 6i, and it never needed to be topped off on a 5K change. This little 2.3L just doesn't burn oil. :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm just at the 10K point. I changed at 5K and the oil was still on the "full" mark. I now have 5K on this oil change and it is still full. I put over 90K on a 6i, and it never needed to be topped off on a 5K change. This little 2.3L just doesn't burn oil. :)[/b]
+1 and to my post, if you're burning/losing oil you've got an internal engine problem

·
Registered
826 Posts
+1 and to my post, if you're burning/losing oil you've got an internal engine problem[/b]
Agreed. Only rotaries and exotics eat through oil that quickly. Theres most likely a leak, but if you haven't smelled burning oil.......

Edit: Actually, rotaries go through oil a lot faster than 1 quart every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Agreed. Only rotaries and exotics eat through oil that quickly. Theres most likely a leak, but if you haven't smelled burning oil.......

Edit: Actually, rotaries go through oil a lot faster than 1 quart every 5000 miles.[/b]

You won't necessarily smell the oil burning.

Mine had a pretty nice leak, I didn't see it until I changed the oil.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've actually planned on looking myself but It's just been too difficult to get the time together to get under it...I suppose i will take it to a shop and pay the minimum lift fee's or whatever so that i can see for myself.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you're losing / leaking oil at that rate, there should be some evidence of it on your driveway. And I doubt very much if you are burning oil unless you have some freak thing going on with your motor.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Huh? Unless you own an exotic(alfa, ferrari, lambo, etc), you should not be burning oil, especially a quart in 5k miles. I've got about 5K on my car (2k since the change to syn) and I've not lost anything. If you've lost a quart in 5K, you've got bad rings/seals/or something else. Modern motors should not burn oil, unless they are f'd up[/b]

not true - I wouldn't use such a blanket statment as all modern cars except for exotics do not use any oil between changes. All engines will consume some oil between changes, just do some research. True, if you are using more than a quart every 3000 miles, and are not driving a wankel then you probably have something wrong. But all engines use some oil, it just gets burned off/consumed in the combustion process from lubricating the rod/piston/block. Many modern engines go through a quart every oil change - just most owners dont do their own oil - or even check the oil level and never find out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
not true - I wouldn't use such a blanket statment as all modern cars except for exotics do not use any oil between changes. All engines will consume some oil between changes, just do some research. True, if you are using more than a quart every 3000 miles, and are not driving a wankel then you probably have something wrong. But all engines use some oil, it just gets burned off/consumed in the combustion process from lubricating the rod/piston/block. Many modern engines go through a quart every oil change - just most owners dont do their own oil - or even check the oil level and never find out.[/b]

I would have to disagree ...

My last 2 cars ... 2001 Camaro SS and 2004 Mustang Cobra (with alot of mods) .. neither of these cars burned any oil. I changed my own oil on all cars and those two cars didn't loose any oil in between.

Crowley

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm gonna have to see what I can do about getting new pads and rotors too, mine are grooved as you describe.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would have to disagree ...

My last 2 cars ... 2001 Camaro SS and 2004 Mustang Cobra (with alot of mods) .. neither of these cars burned any oil. I changed my own oil on all cars and those two cars didn't loose any oil in between.

Crowley[/b]
+1, I have owned a lot of cars, several with 100K+ on them. Very few have even budged on the dipstick in 3K, even at 5K. Normal is defined as who is paying the repair bill.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts