Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having the same "creak" (perfect word) as shown here in "tmtbiker's" post @ http://forum.mazda6club.com/speed6-...-creak-any-ideas-experiences.html#post3267798

The car has 113mi on it. Shop floor manager says: "it's not surprising after 100k miles". I have 113k miles...

in my case, the sound was prevalent in very cold weather and (now) temps in the 80's only. No noise at all right now (Georgia) in the mornings (temps 50's-60's) - only in the afternoons (80's)... It's also much worse now than it was this past winter when it was doing it...

The dealer doesn't have the parts on hand and may not until late this afternoon so I'm here to get opinions, suggestions - perhaps options...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Read on the internet that I should be asking for more specifcs other than accepting "A-Frame needs replacement"... i.e. The frame rail, lower control arm, upper control arm, etc. Just put a call in to the shop floor manager and he said "he'd have to find out from the mechanic" and would call me back... Could I just need ball joints? Maybe bushings?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: at this point and with the help of others, I've ascertained the problem to be the upper/lower control arm bushing (driver's side). I've pulled the plug on the dealer's $730.00 whole upper/lower control arm replacement so they've kindly stranded me here at home overnight and have refused to return calls most of the day since. Here's a post that was of great assistance today: https://action.publicbroadcasting.net/cartalk/posts/list/2140110.page

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yeah, the lower control arm bushings, especially the inner bushing on the front control arm, is sometimes problematic. Mine was replaced at 36,000 miles, but it solved the issue.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Yeah, the lower control arm bushings, especially the inner bushing on the front control arm, is garbage. Mine is toast at 36,000 miles and needs to be replaced. It can cause nasty dynamic alignment problems and increased tire wear as well.

Whereas you are correct in that worn/cracked bushings will allow controla arm movement and camber/toe changes, I don't share your opinion of the stock bushings. Although I don't have quite as many miles (22k) as you did when yours were "toast" I have autocrossed my Speed6 and done much "spirited" backroad runs and mine are fine. I do all my own alignments and check it often. Maybe you hit something or drive over extra bumpy roads?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I drive about 20,000 miles a year on pretty nice roads. My bushings were seemingly fine at 22,000 miles too. I suspect that the longevity of the bushings will vary according to the use of the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts