Mazda 6 Forums banner

de-badging

107K views 281 replies 172 participants last post by  TalonTsi90 
#1 ·
took of the mazda 6 badge on the back. i heard wd-40 takes off the excess sticky junk, but it doesn't. tried rubbing it with my thumb :swearin: and that's not cutting it. any suggestions so i can keep my fingers for the rest of my life without losing any feeling? ANYTHING would help me out on this.

#2 ·
Try Goo-gone. I used wd-40, worked for me. Took some elbow grease though.

#3 ·
Hell, I removed the sticky for the rear Mazda 6 badges, the side V6 badges and the entire length of the door guards all with no chemical assistance and all with my bare fingers in the same day and I'm still alive so man up and get to it. :drive:

Just kidding about the man up part but yeah, as long as you "roll" it off, it shouldn't be that bad. That's how I did it.

#4 ·
Originally posted by iammike@Sep 6 2005, 04:23 PM
Hell, I removed the sticky for the rear Mazda 6 badges, the side V6 badges and the entire length of the door guards all with no chemical assistance and all with my bare fingers in the same day and I'm still alive so man up and get to it.  :drive:
Just kidding about the man up part but yeah, as long as you "roll" it off, it shouldn't be that bad.  That's how I did it.
[snapback]501529[/snapback]​

iammike --- don't :nono: forget about the pinstripe that we had to remove from your car that it came with :swearin:

:nana: just kiddin but really not much too it just alot of work is all.

TJ

#6 ·
hey iammike....completely off the subject.....how did you get it to say "Think Linux..."??

#8 ·
I just used a regular degreaser/cleaner and mine came right off with no problem

#9 ·
Originally posted by gater@Sep 6 2005, 08:22 PM
hey iammike....completely off the subject.....how did you get it to say "Think Linux..."??
[snapback]501662[/snapback]​
It was somewhere in my profile settings.

#10 ·
I did this over the weekend with a heat gun and i was done in less than 30 min. heat it up, this should get most if not all adhesive off.

On the v6 badge and Mazda6 badge i still had an outline of adhesive but i just used a automotive clay bar and it was all gone, and paint was kept safe from foreign chemicals.

#11 ·
i went to walmart and bought an orange citrus cleaner called "goo off"; worked like a champ. it takes quite a bit of rubbing, but it'll come off.....eventually ;). i used a microfiber towel, i figured it wouldnt scratch the car during the rubbing. then i went to a detailer and paid about 30 bucks for a hand wash. when it was done, you couldnt even tell anything was there. dont know if they used some chemical or not, but its off, so what the hell.

good luck

#13 ·
My g/f's brother gave me some stuff called "Enamel Reducer" to use (for the back and the side guards).

Used to work for a body shop doing painting and said it works for getting the sticky stuff off of the paint, and doesn't harm it. Said they used it mostly for the dealer stickers and such.

#14 ·
thanks for the replies...i got it, though. i actually used some canola oil and rubbed it VERY lightly with a dobie pad. yeah...canola, the stuff that you cook with. wd-40 didn't really work that well for me...and i didn't have any goo-gone at the house. the ONLY sticky residue that i had a problem with was the mazda 6 on the back. the sticky on the door came off with the door gaurd when i pulled at a VERY downward angle. the dealership badge nearly fell off with a little bit of force. appreciate the help, though guys.

#15 ·
I went to a local body shop and borrowed some adhesive remover and it came off easy.. I got it all nice and wet and then just rubbed with a towel and it came right off.. My paint wasn't affected by it at all!

If you know anyone at a body shop just ask them for adhesive remover and everything under the emblems came off.. As for the crown molding on the doors I put my drivers lisence under one corner and to get it started and just pulled and all the adhesive came off with it.. there was nothing but some dirt under it and that was it.

#16 ·
You can also use ice to freeze to adhesive, it makes it easiier without chemical assistance. I never had to do it with my car as it came off when I took the door guards off slowly.

#17 ·
Been lurking for a bit and decided to try and de-badge my 6s. I also got carried away and pulled the 'door ding guard' off as well. Here are the fruits of my labor. I used goo gone and elbow grease.

Peace, G

Attachments

#19 ·
Originally posted by iammike@Sep 6 2005, 05:13 PM
Believe it or not, that pinstripe was harder then all the other debadging put together.  Now removing the vinyl from the door frames put them all to shame.
[snapback]501660[/snapback]​

DAM vinyl...hardest mod ever!

#22 ·
heat guns, globs of goo, blah blah, dont pay for something to remove your badges...

Just find an old credit card and use that. It took me about 5 - 10 minutes to remove the v6 and mazda 6 badges, super clean, and no worry about screwing up the paint job

#23 ·
well me ... i used a heat gun first ... then what was left over was some rubber pieces that i actually thought was part of the adhesive (stupid me) so i just tried to take it off with goo gone afterward and it didn't work so i just peeled at it with my fingernails and after I found out that it was the rubber backing off of the logo, not the adhesive, it was easy to get it off clean. After all that I found that there were some swirls on my paint so i just gave it a quick wax and it was good as new =D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.