Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!!! This will be my first post!!... a bit nervous. I just bought a DDM slim HID conversion kit. Has anyone tried DIY????

·
Registered
658 Posts
no diy i believe for the 2nd gen yet but people have used ddm and were happy with the results. hopefully your 2nd post will be a diy :p

·
Registered
157 Posts
what year are you looking to do it to? I did it to my 04, the 55w 8000k kit and i love it. They aren't very hard to install just look bad because of how much stuff you get with it. you will have to pop off the front bumper and at least slide out the housings but just do a quick search, There are prob a few forums on here or on google about getting all that out.

Just take your time and dont rush, if unsure do a little more research and go over the steps in your head. if you want some extra instructions just PM me. i might be able to help a bit and maybe send some pictures

and welcome to the forums btw! just get ready to be obsessed and look here every day :p

·
Registered
658 Posts
people have been saying that the bumper does not need to be removed, i recommend removing it so you have a little bit more play, there are many posts here on how to do that, i'd suggest searching. some people say you can just remove the fender lining and you'll be set.

its not a difficult mod to do but it will be one you will not regret.. lemme know if i can be any more help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
people have been saying that the bumper does not need to be removed, i recommend removing it so you have a little bit more play, there are many posts here on how to do that, i'd suggest searching. some people say you can just remove the fender lining and you'll be set.

its not a difficult mod to do but it will be one you will not regret.. lemme know if i can be any more help.
Agree agree agree. the bumper is not hard to remove, just sounds a lot harder than it really is, but will help out so much with this install. it will take some time the first time you do it but after that you can do it in under 30mins.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/180795-how-katsuro-5000k-hid-install.html

That may not be the right year and for you but it will at least give you some general steps to follow and give you a general idea of what you are getting into.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You don't need to remove the bumper to install HID. Of course you can remove it to get space, but there is enough space without. Im sure the dealer doesnt remove the bumper when they change the headlight bulbs

·
Registered
291 Posts
When I did intsalled my DDM's I left the bumper on, I'm sure I would of had more room to do it with it off. I already had my car on jack stands, so I took the front two tires off and had no problem doing them that way...

On another note, in the 4 or 5 months I've had my DDM's on there's been a couple time when my right headlight wouldn't light. Anyone else having trouble getting there's to light at all?

·
Registered
659 Posts

+1 on the bumper remove.

It's NOT hard and you don't risk misshaping it or putting to much pressure where there's something behind it when bending around.

·
Registered
658 Posts
+1 on the bumper remove.

It's NOT hard and you don't risk misshaping it or putting to much pressure where there's something behind it when bending around.
guess just us big guys like removing the bumper :rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
On another note, in the 4 or 5 months I've had my DDM's on there's been a couple time when my right headlight wouldn't light. Anyone else having trouble getting there's to light at all?[/QUOTE]

You know thats funny because my right foglight flickers once in awhile when changing from highbeams to low beams. But it always goes on. Just weird right side.

·
Registered
658 Posts
it's prolly flickering because its not getting enough power, anyone use a relay harness?

·
Registered
291 Posts
it's prolly flickering because its not getting enough power, anyone use a relay harness?
I haven't got one yet, I will though if this keeps happen. Its only happened 2 or 3 times in the last 4 or 5 months I've had them on and I can always get it to light after turning them off and on 2 or 3 time. If it gets any worse I will definatly buy a relay though...

·
Registered
658 Posts
I haven't got one yet, I will though if this keeps happen. Its only happened 2 or 3 times in the last 4 or 5 months I've had them on and I can always get it to light after turning them off and on 2 or 3 time. If it gets any worse I will definatly buy a relay though...
actually, i'm not sure if you would need a power relay. i had a different issue, my fog lights once i put hids in there would flicker

e.g.

it was after this that i added the relay, which eliminated the flickering completely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried DIY in this morning...but i couldn't even remove the fender ;(
It seems like... the fender is connected with the bumper... any tips??
thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah just go under the wheel well, You take out like 10 clips. Just pull the plastic back. If you need more room take the tire off which is also simple.

·
Registered
291 Posts
actually, i'm not sure if you would need a power relay. i had a different issue, my fog lights once i put hids in there would flicker

e.g.
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/Ankit69/HIDs Flashing/?action=view&current=MVI_0085.flv

it was after this that i added the relay, which eliminated the flickering completely.
I haven't had that problem yet atleast that I've notice. I might just order a relay just to be safe.

Did you add the fog lights or did it come stock on your? I ask becasue I don't have them yet and while I was throwing on my HID kit I noticed wiring down by where the fog lights would go and was just wondering if it was prewiring or not?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I haven't had that problem yet atleast that I've notice. I might just order a relay just to be safe.

Did you add the fog lights or did it come stock on your? I ask becasue I don't have them yet and while I was throwing on my HID kit I noticed wiring down by where the fog lights would go and was just wondering if it was prewiring or not?
my car came stock with foglights (halogen) its a grand touring sport. i converted them to hids via a hit kit and then converted that to an actual projector down the line (using the hid kit as well)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was bored today, so I decided to work on the car... One of the things i did was to check on my HID ballasts just to make sure they hadn't falling, while I was down there I took some picture for those who don't know if they want to take the bumper off or not... Hope it helps

Attachments

Reactions: diesel09

·
Registered
658 Posts
what did you use to secure it?

i used double sided 3m tape and a zip tie. do you have the slim ballasts or the chunky ones?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts