Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my 15yo daughter who just started driving on her permit got in the car to drive last night, mind you she has already driven a few times in this car and also once in the drivers ed car. She proceeded to start the car...with her foot ON the gas pedal...with it pushed to the FLOOR!!! And THEN held it there for at least 6-8 seconds while the motor screamed! And of course, I was screaming at her to get her foot off the gas!

The car seemed to drive ok at the time but later in the evening I went to pick up my younger daughter and drove it about 3 miles or so and stopped for a few minutes while I went in the store then came out and drove it about 5 minutes home and noticed a weird belt squeal and then noticed it was overheating! Mind you this car has not had one problem overheating since I bought it last year for my older daughter.

Without lifting the hood, I am guessing it has at least one blown head gasket and knowing the weakness of the timing chain I would say it is probably screwed as well!

Anyone else had an issue with over revving the motor?

Jeff:angry::angry::angry:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've bounced mine at the rev limiter and haven't had an issue. What year is the car? Without lifting the hood, why assume it's a head gasket. . Is it leaking fluid? White smoke out of the exhaust? Milky oil? The rev limiter is there to help keep the engine in safe rpms. I could understand if she set a block on the gas pedal and walked a way for a min or so.

1st, go open the hood and take a look. Check the oil and see if it looks milky.
2nd, look at the water pump belt to see if it looks more stretched than it should. If it's a 03-05 without the new style belt, look at the tensioner.
3rd, check all the hoses around the water pump. There is one right behind it that I've seen swollen due to oil leaks( mine and every v6 in scrap yard that I've seen)
4th, Check the exhaust for white smoke.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
I've bounced mine at the rev limiter and haven't had an issue. What year is the car? Without lifting the hood, why assume it's a head gasket. . Is it leaking fluid? White smoke out of the exhaust? Milky oil? The rev limiter is there to help keep the engine in safe rpms. I could understand if she set a block on the gas pedal and walked a way for a min or so.

1st, go open the hood and take a look. Check the oil and see if it looks milky.
2nd, look at the water pump belt to see if it looks more stretched than it should. If it's a 03-05 without the new style belt, look at the tensioner.
3rd, check all the hoses around the water pump. There is one right behind it that I've seen swollen due to oil leaks( mine and every v6 in scrap yard that I've seen)
4th, Check the exhaust for white smoke.
I'm with him. The rev limiter is there to protect from these exact types of occurrences. She would have had to do it for a good 30+ seconds for it to start doing any type of damage.

Check your fluid levels, make sure the plastic-T connector isn't leaking, and everything DJ said. Report back with what you find.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You mentioned a belt squeal. Not sure if the water pump is belt driven but that could be it. Your belt could be stretched or the over revving caused the water pump bearing to fail causing the belt to slip and/or also the pump to spin slower or be seized.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I finally got the time to look at the car. I found the overheating issue is a broken plastic piece directly below the throttle body. There is a nipple that screws into the plastic piece and the nipple has come out of the plastic piece. I have not had the car that long and it appears as though the previous owners had issues with it as there is some kind of sealant or silicone on the nipple. I will try to attach a picture of the part and nipple.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
I beat the hell out of my high mileage V6. These motors are not weak. I would not worry about the car, just a coincidence likely.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I beat the hell out of my high mileage V6. These motors are not weak. I would not worry about the car, just a coincidence likely.

Agreed. I’m at 165k miles on mine and I redline it regularly the only thing showing any sign of weakness is the trans (auto).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
bluedevil6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing