Mazda 6 Forums banner

Dashkit is coming soon

240K views 1K replies 217 participants last post by  6xer 
#1 ·
I sent this to Scosche.com

Hello,

I was just wondering if you actually have any plans on creating a dash kit for the 03-05 Mazda 6. I know there are many people that are interested in such a purchase. I would appreciate a response back.

Thanks

The response I received back was this;

We are currently in the making of the kit. The release date is December 15. if you have any other questions just give me a call at 1-800-363-4490 ext 134.

Thanks

Tim Maddox

Regional Sales Representative

1-800-363-4490 ext 134

tmaddox@scosche.com

www.scosche.com

Lets hope this is right!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
at least we finally got a real date....lets see how true it really is??? what are the odds that it will be released on the dec 15......i say 5 to 1

#9 ·
Originally posted by pobody@Oct 7 2004, 10:29 PM
sorry for the dumb question, but what exactly does the dash kit consist of? Some specifics would be cool. Thanks
[snapback]313020[/snapback]​
"DASH KIT"
Usually a "dash kit" or "radio install kit" consists of a piece of plastic
that fits a specific car's dash and allows you to install a standard DIN-sized
aftermarket stereo in place of the stock stereo. The dash kit helps to fill any
gaps left from removing the stock (usually larger) radio and helps to make a
flush fit between the new stereo and the dash. Usually you simply remove
the old radio, mount the kit to the new radio and slide the new radio into
the dash. Occasionally, in order to properly mount a new radio, you must
actually replace a portion of the dash rather than just simply fill a gap. Such
kits may include integrated AC ducts and/or spaces for AC control knobs.

MAZDA6 DASH
In the case of the Mazda6, the radio dash panel has -everything- mounted
on the rear of it -- the panel does not simply cover up stuff, the stuff is actually
mounted to the panel. This includes special integrated electronics between the
radio, AC controls and the upper LED display, not to mention integrated AC air
ducts as well as the actual AC control panel. Any "dash kit" for the Mazda6 will
need to provide the same functionality and because of this will need to be
much more custom than the average radio installtion kit. Unless Mazda
continues to make future Mazda6 radio dashes the same as the 2003 and 2004
dashes, it is not likely that any installation kit manufacturer is going to make
much effort to produce such a special, expensive kit just for two model years.
If they do, expect such a kit to run in the $50 to $120 range, depending upon
the maker and the volume of kits produced. Also expect car installation shops
to charge out the wazoo (double to triple, at the very least) to do a radio install
since, compared to an average install, the Mazda6 kit would require tons of
disassembly and re-assembly of dash components.

SAMPLE PICS (NOTE: these are NOT Mazda6 dash kits!):
Here's a fairly standard-looking style dash kit that runs from $10 to $20:
Picture of an average dash kit.

Here's a more expensive kit that includes integrated AC air ducts. This kit
just has the holes for mounting the actual vents (you must re-use your
existing AC vents). This kit is probably for a Chevy or GM truck:
Picture of a more custom dash kit with integrated AC air ducts.

These are the types of kits the aftermarket kit suppliers are accustomed to
making. The Mazda6 dash is -way- beyond what most manufacturers are
willing to tackle, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed...

-mazdahatch
<a href=\'http://digitalKnowHow.com/deals\' target=\'_blank\'>http://digitalKnowHow.com</a>

#12 ·
Originally posted by Absolut@Oct 14 2004, 03:33 PM
Pinned this topic!  Awesome news!
[snapback]315513[/snapback]​
I seriously think you wasted your time pinning this up =\. I have been disappointed to many times to beleive this story again.

#16 ·
Hi guys im new in the world of the mazda6, just bought mine 2 months ago and I'm pretty pleased with what i got. Heard some rumors about that dash kit. Well I was looking up for some head units and talked to the merchant. He called a friend which is a distributor of Sobel / Metra here in Quebec. He said that metra will have the mazda6 dash kit out for January 2004 Car shows. So Maybe out to the market around february? And he said also that normally Scosche always get his products out after metra did.

So all in all the question is... is scosche fucking with us or he's trying to get it out before metra...?

#17 ·
I just talked to Tim over there about the head unit.....They are def mak'n one.

For all the disbelivers....since i have made a custom circuit board and sorta-dash kit from scratch and just don't have the LCD work'n...he called in one of the tech guys....The dude knew what he was talking about....and actually asked me some questions where they are stuck...he said the LCD wasn't a problem for them...funny huh.....

The kit that will come first most likey is the one for the Dial temp, not the auto controled one....which sux cuz that's what I have....but it's a start....

But he said mid december to call and most likely the will have some sort of preorder going on for it since it is in such high demand (thanx to everyone calling the number posted...LOL)

Just an update.........

#18 ·
Originally posted by scans007@Nov 10 2004, 01:12 PM
I just talked to Tim over there about the head unit.....They are def mak'n one. 

For all the disbelivers....since i have made a custom circuit board and sorta-dash kit from scratch and just don't have the LCD work'n...he called in one of the tech guys....The dude knew what he was talking about....and actually asked me some questions where they are stuck...he said the LCD wasn't a problem for them...funny huh.....

The kit that will come first most likey is the one for the Dial temp, not the auto controled one....which sux cuz that's what I have....but it's a start....

But he said mid december to call and most likely the will have some sort of preorder going on for it since it is in such high demand (thanx to everyone calling the number posted...LOL)

Just an update.........
[snapback]322477[/snapback]​
The LCD is no problem but the auto temp controls are? :sarc:

#21 ·
Originally posted by crossbow@Nov 10 2004, 08:06 PM
Has anyone told any of these companies about the mazdaspeed 6 head unit?

Why not just take that one when its avail?
[snapback]322504[/snapback]​
dealer will prob charge and arm and a leg and have a 3 month wait for the part backordered.

#23 ·
Matt,

We will be making an install kit for the Mazda 6. The kit should be out sometime early next year. If you have any other questions just give me a call at 1-800-363-4490 ext 134.

Thanks

Tim Maddox

1-800-363-4490 ext 134

tmaddox@scosche.com

www.scosche.com

Gee thats sounds familar! :jackoff:

#24 ·
I also e-mailed tim the other day. Here is my letter and the reply I got today.

Hello Mr. Maddox,

The time of release that you gave me (Dec. 15) is nearing, so once again I must bug you to ask some information. Lots of people are getting excited about the release of this kit and rumors are starting to go around about it. I just have one question: Is the kit going to be for the dash with automatic climate control system (the one with just buttons) or for the dash with the manual-turn-style knobs? I have attached a picture of each to show you what I'm talking about. The picture of the manual knobs is not from the Mazda 6. They're very similar looking though. Will there be just one kit that works for both of these dash configurations? Once again any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Joe Sowden

His reply:

Joe,

At this time the install kit that we are working on will be for the automatic climate control system. But I think that shortly after that we will be coming out with a kit for the manual turn style knobs. But at this time that is about all I am able to find out.

Thanks

Tim Maddox

1-800-363-4490 ext 134

tmaddox@scosche.com

www.scosche.com

I'm glad that the kit is going to be for the auto climate controls because that's what I have. He didn't mention anything about the date being pushed back though. I don't like that one bit. I wanted to give myself an early Christmas gift. I guess the waiting game continues. Oh, the picture of the manual knobs was from the Mazda 3. I couldn't find one of the 6. Not that I looked that hard. :p

#26 ·
I don't know much about dash kits either (especially for the 6), so here's my question:

I am having problems with my A/C and it's probably the circuit board that's messed up. It got that way after I added an amp, so it's not under warrenty. Anyways, would the dash kit come with a board so I can just wait for this (don't need a/c until spring or so anyways) as a possible solution?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.