Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bought myself a lovely little DashHawk, only to find out that fucking windows has made yet another useless OS... And to top it all off, it appears that MSD has basically abandoned all support for the DH? Does anybody out there have a solution to get the DH software up and running on a 64bit version of Vista? I've searched DH's forum to no avail and I haven't been able to find anything much on here either. I really don't want to have to format my machine and revert back to XP. That's at least an entire day or more of wasted time... just for a little scanner. So, if someone... anyone... has a solution that doesn't involve a sledge hammer, gasoline & matches, or high-powered rifles, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm going on a smashing/burning/shooting spree...[/psychotic rant]

Oh and mods, feel free to yell at me and move this to another section if this isn't appropriate. I just felt that it would get a little more visibility in this section, since a lot of you MS6 guys are running DH's.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Have you tried it yet on Vista X64? I don't have a DH, but I'm assuming it's installing some type of drivers (communication between your DH and Windows). Windows 64 bit allows you to install 32 bit software, it will place it in "Program Files (x86)", however, if the driver is not installing it leaves you nowhere... (64 bit does not allow installation of 32 bit drivers and "non-verified" drivers).

The solution which I am using is to force Windows 64 bit to allow installation of 32 bit drivers, I will have to look it up again because I don't remember exactly what it's called but if you interested I'll let you know.

You can also run a dual boot with Windows XP 32bit and Vista 64bit (allows you to select which operating system to go into upon PC startup). You can do this in two ways:
1. Keeping Vista installed: look here
2. Backup everything on your PC, install Win XP, then Vista again

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried it yet on Vista X64? I don't have a DH, but I'm assuming it's installing some type of drivers (communication between your DH and Windows). Windows 64 bit allows you to install 32 bit software, it will place it in "Program Files (x86)", however, if the driver is not installing it leaves you nowhere... (64 bit does not allow installation of 32 bit drivers and "non-verified" drivers).

The solution which I am using is to force Windows 64 bit to allow installation of 32 bit drivers, I will have to look it up again because I don't remember exactly what it's called but if you interested I'll let you know.

You can also run a dual boot with Windows XP 32bit and Vista 64bit (allows you to select which operating system to go into upon PC startup). You can do this in two ways:
1. Keeping Vista installed: look here
2. Backup everything on your PC, install Win XP, then Vista again
Basically what I understand the problem to be is MSD couldn't get Microsoft to verify their drivers under 64bit operating systems. When you install the software, you get the typical warning from Vista saying the drivers aren't verified.... install anyways. But when you launch the program, it just gives an error message saying the USB interface utility has stopped working. I have rebooted and used the F8 function and disabled driver verification, or whatever it is... to no avail. I've installed the program in different directories (eg. Program Files/ and Program Files (X86)/) to no avail... I like the idea of a dual boot, as I've always liked XP more than Vista, but I just don't want to waste a day or more pissing with my computer. Aside from this issue, I am "content" with Vista.

If you can get something that details how to trick 64bit Vista to run 32bit drivers, I'd be interested. I'd just like to get this damn thing connected to my computer!

I e-mailed MSD's tech department today, so hopefully they'll get back to me sometime early this week.

On a brighter note, the DH is a sweet tool in the car! I just need to find the perfect place to mount it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Right click. Choose properties and select run in xp. It works on my desk top which is Vista. My things is getting it to work on my Windows 7

·
Registered
74 Posts
TwoChevZs has the correct resolution.

All 32 bit programs need to be run in compatibility mode. I a dashhawk a couple of days ago. Works fine on Vista 64 Bit

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right click. Choose properties and select run in xp. It works on my desk top which is Vista. My things is getting it to work on my Windows 7
I tried this setting with no results... do I need to set this setting, then reboot? Do I need to set this setting immediately after installing the program before I even try to start it?

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
It runs fine on my Win7 32 bit.

Vista 64 might require the installer to be run as admin
- right click on installer, choose "Run as Administrator"
- once installed, then set compatibility mode to WinXP

Another idea would be to run a virtual machine for your XP. I'm a fan of Virtual Box from Sun, but many free tools can do this.

Reactions: 2K7MS6 and cfdp

·
Registered
836 Posts
Finally bought myself a lovely little DashHawk, only to find out that fucking windows has made yet another useless OS... And to top it all off, it appears that MSD has basically abandoned all support for the DH? Does anybody out there have a solution to get the DH software up and running on a 64bit version of Vista? I've searched DH's forum to no avail and I haven't been able to find anything much on here either. I really don't want to have to format my machine and revert back to XP. That's at least an entire day or more of wasted time... just for a little scanner. So, if someone... anyone... has a solution that doesn't involve a sledge hammer, gasoline & matches, or high-powered rifles, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm going on a smashing/burning/shooting spree...[/psychotic rant]

Oh and mods, feel free to yell at me and move this to another section if this isn't appropriate. I just felt that it would get a little more visibility in this section, since a lot of you MS6 guys are running DH's.
first of all why do you even have vista? that was a huge fail for windows. thats why 7 came out really soon after. 7 is way better. but anyways if you say that they never made drivers for it then you prob are going to have trouble using it on that os. like some others said you might be better off using xp. you COULD dual boot but i just dont see why you would keep vista unless you really just like it that much. i dual booted both for a while but never used vista. now im dual booting 7 and xp and i never use xp.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Long story short,
x64 Vista < 86x XP
Unless you're using some 64bit only programs for something much greater like work or productivity. In that case I would upgrade to x64 7. And even if you 'upgrade' to 7, you can still do a full install and keep all those vista gremlins out of your new format.
In all honesty your best choice would be to dual boot and not run parallels(virtual machine) If you try to run parallels, your host machine has to have a working driver for the device to allow the virtual machine to share that device. You cannot tunnel a usb port directly to your virtual machine either because of the fact that USB is a bus topology.

Reactions: 2K7MS6

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It runs fine on my Win7 32 bit.

Vista 64 might require the installer to be run as admin
- right click on installer, choose "Run as Administrator"
- once installed, then set compatibility mode to WinXP

Another idea would be to run a virtual machine for your XP. I'm a fan of Virtual Box from Sun, but many free tools can do this.
I'll have to try those settings... I'd rather not do a "virtual" system... but if I have to, I will.

first of all why do you even have vista? that was a huge fail for windows. thats why 7 came out really soon after. 7 is way better. but anyways if you say that they never made drivers for it then you prob are going to have trouble using it on that os. like some others said you might be better off using xp. you COULD dual boot but i just dont see why you would keep vista unless you really just like it that much. i dual booted both for a while but never used vista. now im dual booting 7 and xp and i never use xp.
I have Vista because it was free. I built my machine several years ago with XP Pro on it. I had the opportunity to pick up a copy of Vista Ultimate 64bit for free, so I did. I agree that it is not a great OS, but I've gotten used to it and it works for me. I don't want to do any more upgrading OS's to this machine, as it's pretty out-dated. A dual boot would be great, but I don't want to spend all that time re-installing two OS's just for the DH. I will eventually switch to Windows 7 once I build or buy a new machine.

LOL

Long story short,
x64 Vista < 86x XP
Unless you're using some 64bit only programs for something much greater like work or productivity. In that case I would upgrade to x64 7. And even if you 'upgrade' to 7, you can still do a full install and keep all those vista gremlins out of your new format.
In all honesty your best choice would be to dual boot and not run parallels(virtual machine) If you try to run parallels, your host machine has to have a working driver for the device to allow the virtual machine to share that device. You cannot tunnel a usb port directly to your virtual machine either because of the fact that USB is a bus topology.
I agree with you an all points... but what I've got running now doesn't cost me any money... like I said above, I'm keeping my current setup until this machine dies or I have the extra $$$ to build a new one!

On a brighter note, I discovered my wife's old computer in the house, and I dug up my old KVM switch. Now I can use both machines in my office, and her computer has XP on it, so I can use it for the DH software! There's a few hangups, like only having internet on one machine... (wireless)... but I can get around most of that.

Thanks for all the input, guys. This board definitely has a wealth of knowledge and some pretty helpful people!

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! I looked through a bunch of threads about where people mounted theirs... I chose this location:

About the only thing it blocks is the cluster of warning indicators, and all I have to do to see them is sit up a bit in the seat. I used the L bracket that came with the DH, put the velcro on the steering column, and used the double sided tape to stick the DH to the L bracket! Works pretty well and it's easy to remove.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have Vista x64 at work and W7 64 bit at home. Never got it to work with either OS (despite any of the tricks noted here and elsewhere). MSD was zero help - their reply? "We don't support those OS's, thank you, have a nice day".

Then I went the virtual machine route. First tried Windows but that was a fail on two counts. One because you need W7 Pro which would have cost me to upgrade. But more importantly because Win VM doesn't have USB support. In other words, you can't connect DH to your VM.

Fortunately, VMWare doesn't have this problem and it's free. The only catch was that you need a separate license for XP. USB connection works just fine so you can download logs and upload configurations with no trouble. After playing with it for a little while, I've come to appreciate the merits of having a VM. It really is like having a second PC but without the hardware.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts