Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since running out of ideas for performance mods I started working on improving the refinement of my 6. I had a pesky dash rattle that only made noise over small to medium bumps at relatively low speeds. After crawling under the dash 1/2 dozen time and insulating anything that moved, the rattle was still there :swearin: I tried a different approach and stiffened the upper part of the dash by packing insulation into the crack where the windshield meets the dash and it worked wonders! The crack is not visible from the seats or the windshield so this mod is basically 'invisible' but makes the interior as solid and quiet as a vault. Here is basic how-to:

Go to home depot/lowes and pick up some 1/2" round crack filler insulation. (About $3.50)

Lay a 6' section of the insulation across the dash. Starting at the passenger side A-pillar, use a paint stir or ruler to pack the insullation down into the gap where the windshield meets the dash. Pack it all the way into the crack so that it's totally hidden. Move from one side of the car to the other and clip off any excess before the drivers side A-pillar before packing in the last few inches.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice. I have an 05 Mazda6i

I havnt noticed a rattle in the dash yet. But i do have rattle in my door when their is some bass to my music. And that damn wind noise once i get above 50mph.

As soon as i get my speakers, im going to sound deaden my doors so that will probably help. No clue where the wind noise is coming from.

And my fuel pump sure makes enough noise at times. lol

great little write up though, i might have to turn my damn music down more often, and see if i get any dash rattle.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Great idea. I have a rattle in my dash that I have been unable to isolate. I may very well try this fix. I can't quite find where the rattle is coming from and I have been on my back, reaching behind the dash several times. I have secured everything that could possibly move. This just might do the trick! Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The sunglass holder seems to rattle more so than anything else in my car.
[/b]
and what the hell is with that useless sunglass holder anyway? it's about as useless as t!ts on a bull. i use it to store a couple of packs of gum...

-s

·
Registered
467 Posts
and what the hell is with that useless sunglass holder anyway?
[/b]
I have a pair of prescription sunglasses that is dedicated for driving, since my eyes are very light-sensitive. Having the holder prevents it getting all scratched up, or fishing around the console for the holder that came with it.

Can't wait to try this dash fix though. I find if my tires are a bit underinflated the noises go away, but that's clearly not a good fix...

·
Registered
120 Posts
and what the hell is with that useless sunglass holder anyway? it's about as useless as t!ts on a bull. i use it to store a couple of packs of gum...

-s
[/b]
you put sunglasses in there. very useful for those who drive with sunglasses to avoid squinting while driving in at 5pm when the sun seems to be eye level on the road

·
Registered
444 Posts
i knew that the rattles come from the dash, and knew that something must be put in the crack between the dash and windshield, but didnt know what to put while keeping a clean look. Here is the solution! thanks twowheelin!

Now my dash dont rattle anymore!

·
Registered
137 Posts
nice fix, i hear rattles all the time, my friends think im insane, they dont hear anything.
[/b]
dude, I share your sentiments. when I'm driving, I hear rattles all the time, when I'm in the passenger seat I can't hear shit myself. I think it has to do with the accoustics of the car and the way the sound travels and bounces off solid objects that the passenger side doesn't pick up the soundwaves that the driver side does. bothers the shit out of me when I ask my friends to spot a rattle and they tell me they don't hear crap. pisses me off

·
Registered
247 Posts
oh wow i guess this is something mazda overlooked because i hear it too ... i swear i was so frustrated one time after driving for about 4 hours to vegas continually hearing this rattle that i started slamming differetn parts of the dash to get it to SHUTUP

·
Registered
134 Posts
you put sunglasses in there. very useful for those who drive with sunglasses to avoid squinting while driving in at 5pm when the sun seems to be eye level on the road
[/b]
it's too small to fit most sunglasses into, my oakly's will not fit in there, i forgot it was there until i read this. i store my sunglasses in the top part of the armrest.

i will def be doing this insulation thing to get rid of the dash rattle!

·
Registered
112 Posts
There was a thread on how to fix all these rattles, but I can't find it now... grrr.

I did, however, just fix my dash rattle (passenger side) by sticking a wood paint can stir stick between the dash locator pin and the white plastic cup it sits in. The cup is positioned near the top corner under the dash and is hard to see. The noise is caused by the pin tapping the bottom of the cup. You have to remove the glove box and send the stir stick up in front of the right side of the cabin air filter box. I'll try to take pics...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that it's getting hot here in Memphis, I've noticed that there is 'shrinkage' of the insulation. I believe they also sell this stuff in 5/8", so you may want to go for the bigger size. My dash is still quiet, but I can see where the length of the insulation section has gotten about 4" shorter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i will try this fix, as i've had a rattle on the driver's side dash where the windshield meets the dash. it rattles like you said at low speeds and medium bumps. my remedy was just jamming a folded up plastic bag, ugly but effective. now i'll give your crack filler insulation a try.

thanks for sharing

·
Registered
22 Posts
What exactly is this "crack filler insulation" called? If I were to go to Home Depot, what would I ask for? BTW, thanks twowheelin for the fix.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
35 Participants
ms6fanatic
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing