Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, I'm looking for any good recommendations on a dash cam. Preferably under $100.

I'm not 100% sure which features I want/need, so any recommendation would be appreciated...

TIA

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I like the Rexing style with a supercapacitor -- do not buy one with a battery in it, as in that location it's going to get VERY hot, which is a bad idea with Li batteries. The supercap is the superior design unless you want/need surveillance while parked, which most people do not.

It's very, very hard to know I have it looking at the front of the car, which is exactly how I like it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Aside from the summer heat when sitting too long in direct light, i use an old Lumia 640 and a $1.29 app (free to use, but i wasnt sure if it was crippled, but i liked it so i paid for it) and ran a USB port into my camera housing... Many people have old phones laying around and they need zero signal to run as a dash cam. Would at least let you try it out till you find one you like. I went through 3 other dash cams that sucked.

Heres a day time screenshot

Night time shot, every once in a while it wouldnt focus, but for most things you cant beat the price of cheap/free

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm using Viofo A129. This reminds me, my friend and I haven't finished the set-up for 360.

Rear camera is also clear, just like the main camera.

·
Rally Racer
2,665 Posts
@Mz6GreyGhost I am with @Archerfish. I am on my 6th different camera and the Viofo A129 duo has been awesome. I had a Viofo B40, A119, A119 and A119c before this one. I also had two other brands before those. It uses front and rear HD cams and has been a solid performer. The front is 60fps and the rear is 30fps (I believe. It rarely does not start on its own (once a month maybe) but I have it set to chime and if I dont hear it chime I just press the button to start.
It is a little above your $100 dollar price range but if you omit the rear camera option (Viofo A119 v3) it is likely right where you want it price wise.
Dashcam close.jpg Dashcam front 01.jpg Dashcam front.jpg

One of the other forums I frequent is https://dashcamtalk.com/ and they are a great resource for this stuff.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info, everybody. Keep it coming!

I've been looking around at other sources, and Viofo has been mentioned positively more than once...

·
Super Moderator
17,309 Posts
My wife and I both run the Rexings in our cars and have had no issues with them besides the sticky not holding onto the Mazda 3's glass very well since it's angled very odd.

But we liked the V1 enough that we just upgraded to a V2 - @Mz6GreyGhost you want our old V1 to try out? :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Following my car accident in 2016 I went and bought a dash cam for both vehicles. Even though it was clear and not argued that I wasn't at fault, the first thing the officer asked (after if we were OK or needed medical assistance) was if anyone had dash cam footage. (I was the first to get hit in what ended up being a 4 car collision. I then hit the 3rd vehicle involved and he then hit the 4th. My car was a write off)

I have Papago cams in both cars right now. I had bought them from a known retailer on sale before I knew what was what in dash cams. I favored their simplicity and compactness.

After 3+ years the one in my Mazda (slightly older and used much more than the one in my wife's car) occasionally just stops recording. Issue is resolved after a reboot or formatting the card. I've been meaning to try a new memory card to see if that resolves the problem but keep forgetting (going to amazon now).

If a memory card doesn't resolve my cam's operational issues I will be going Viofo dual channel. Way too many close calls behind me and I've been eyeing the Viofo for a while. I like their small form factor that can be tucked up out of the way / not distracting and they're generally well reviewed as good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
VIVO A119 in my car, A119v3 in my wife's Grand Cherokee, both hard wired, 128 card in mine, 265 card in the v3

·
Rally Racer
2,665 Posts
VIVO A119 in my car, A119v3 in my wife's Grand Cherokee, both hard wired, 128 card in mine, 265 card in the v3
One thing I noticed with my A119 was the inability to run off a direct current tap. I had to use the accessory socket adapter to power it. At the time I just hard wired an extra socket adapter and dropped it behind the passenger foot panel.
Still a great camera though.
I was using a 128mb card in the A119
256mb card in the A129 duo

Be advised that your state regulations may enable GPS to work against you. In my state if I have a traffic collision, say someone runs a red and I collide with them. If my GPS data shows that I am even going 1 mph over the posted limit it is deemed my fault. I have GPS disabled.

·
Registered
304 Posts
One thing I noticed with my A119 was the inability to run off a direct current tap. I had to use the accessory socket adapter to power it. At the time I just hard wired an extra socket adapter and dropped it behind the passenger foot panel.
Still a great camera though.
I was using a 128mb card in the A119
256mb card in the A129 duo

Be advised that your state regulations may enable GPS to work against you. In my state if I have a traffic collision, say someone runs a red and I collide with them. If my GPS data shows that I am even going 1 mph over the posted limit it is deemed my fault. I have GPS disabled.
Mine has been hard wired in my Mazda for three years with no issues. I hard wired the A119v3 in my wife's new Grand Cherokee as well, again no issues with hands-free starting with either. Great cameras for the $$$ and the the ability to take large sized cards is impressive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Blackvue DR650S, but definitely over your $100 budget. 60fps for the front camera, 30 fps for the rear. Purchased it on Drop.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Good call about the GPS. I think I also disabled it but now I can't remember if I did it or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts