Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, i am back but only to ask for help... =T

"If you were an automotive engineer (and i'm sure some of you are somewhere along this field), would you design a suspension system that was underdamped, critically damped, or overdamped? and why?"

i've done research so far. i've gotten what i need to know about car suspensions, and what all those different types of damping means. now i need to know which it is... i can't figure it out! i need it to be applied... please help! and please... only vote if you know what you're talking about... i don't want to screw this up (no offense).

thank you

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Being critically dampened would allow suspension to oscillate when needed (bumps and such) but still keep the oscillations to a minimum.

Under would start getting bouncy and mushy.
Over would be very harsh (start loosing traction over bumps).

But it all comes down to comfort/performance and what real world testing can show.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being critically dampened would allow suspension to oscillate when needed (bumps and such) but still keep the oscillations to a minimum.

Under would start getting bouncy and mushy.
Over would be very harsh (start loosing traction over bumps).

But it all comes down to comfort/performance and what real world testing can show.
[/b]
u kno what, thanks for confirming what i was thinking. i was thinking it over last night and i came up with the same idea. awesome.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
It goes beyond that......"but still keep the oscillations to a minimum."

The oscillation freq. is also very important. that is why in some cars you do not get sea-sick where as u do in others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
MazdaRacer
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing