Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the story: I travel along Steels Ave. to work everyday. So I got off from work in the evening but on my way home, I kept in the right lane as usual because I drive slow. (yes, it's a lie ;) ) When I was around Kennedy and Steels (Pacific Mall area), I saw the sign says "Right Turn Only", so then I signaled and tried to get back to the left but no luck. You know it's rush hour on Steels Avenue, one of the busiest and crappiest road in GTA. But still I couldn't stop and block the lane so I had to go up to the light and outrun the other car. The undercovered cop car waited for me on the driveway at old Canadian Tire, then I got pulled over for "Proceed Contrasy to Sign at Intersection". You broke my damn clean record, fucking bitch... :swearin: Honestly, I thought she pulled me over for speeding...oh well, as I knew there's no point to argue so I just took the ticket and gave another "victim" a thumb up before taking off...

Damn...now I'm facing a fine of $110 with 2 points deduction. I have no idea what I'm gonna do...fight it or eat it, either way sucks...

So any suggestion?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Given the circumstances, I would take it to court and see what you can get.

Normally, if I'm caught speeding, I suck it up and pay it. It was my decision to speed, so I deserve it.

In your case, you have a reasonable explanation for zipping through the intersection, so I wouldn't feel guilty if I were in your shoes.

The judge could probably care less about your explanation, as valid as it may be. But, at least you could get the fine and the points knocked down.

After all, it was your first offence! That copper should have been easier on you!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I wrote a long post before in regards to ticket, i m gonna have to look it up
to be honest with you
even if you show up in court they might just remove those damns 2 points and have u pay the ticket
and that's the pre trial :p

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
POINTS!

they have saved my ass a few times...the cop "just doesn't show up for his appointment"....funny how that works...

so you pay them, and you don't pay the ticket...you end up paying more...but your record is clean...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My uncle suggested me to request for a translator in the count, pretending unable to speak in English. This way, even if the cop shows up, there's still another chance that the interpreter is not gonna show up. I might just give it a try. But com'on...I'm just a 19 years old kid! So please :bowdown: By the time I think I'd say something like I was kinda nervous in the traffic becoz I'm a new driver...etc. lol

EDITED: Just found out that it's my 666 post. Maybe it's a lucky sign for me. lol God bless me...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Then how did you pass your G1 license for the exams prior to obtaining your G2/G? You used an interpreter as well?

LOL... I dunno.. I doubt it'll work.. If it has worked with someone already in the past, I'd find that a little silly! Unless of course you're holding a non-canadian license. Then again, who's the car registered to even if you did!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then how did you pass your G1 license for the exams prior to obtaining your G2/G? You used an interpreter as well?

LOL... I dunno.. I doubt it'll work.. If it has worked with someone already in the past, I'd find that a little silly! Unless of course you're holding a non-canadian license. Then again, who's the car registered to even if you did!
[/b]
Hey, the simple terms like "turn", "left", "right", "stop", "parallel park" and what else? That's all you needa know while taking a road test!

The prosecutor made another appointment for my uncle after no interpreter is presented in 15 minutes. But then the funny thing is that the cop didn't show up next time even though the interpreter was there!

Well of course, my car is registered to me, Derek Lam. But I doubt it'd be a matter.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sucks to get a ticket, the translator seems like a trick.
However, like blue6 suggested, it seems a bit silly.
Nonetheless, good luck on your trial - hope the cop doesn't show up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Actually, I believe it's THREE points not two:

Clause 136 (1) (a), subsections 144 (14), (14), (16), (17), (18) and (21), subsections 146 (3) and (4) and section 163 of the Highway Traffic Act, any municipal by-law requiring a driver to stop for a stop sign or signal light, and the National Capital Commission Traffic and Property Regulations CRC 1978, c. 1044 made under the National Capital Act (Canada) requiring a driver to stop for a stop sign.

3 Demerits - Failing to obey a stop sign, signal light or railway crossing signal

I was charged with the same thing several yrs back at Morningside/401 when I was heading to U of T @ Scar... turned right at a light without coming to a complete stop, which is "proceed contrary to signal" aka running a red light. Definitely fight it, you have nothing to lose and a good chance of winning if you hire POINTTS or X-COPPER. As someone mentioned, yes, you will end up paying more, but in the long run you'll save $$ because 3 points on a 19-yr old male's record is all the excuse your insurance company needs to jack your insurance WAY up!!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, I believe it's THREE points not two:

Clause 136 (1) (a), subsections 144 (14), (14), (16), (17), (18) and (21), subsections 146 (3) and (4) and section 163 of the Highway Traffic Act, any municipal by-law requiring a driver to stop for a stop sign or signal light, and the National Capital Commission Traffic and Property Regulations CRC 1978, c. 1044 made under the National Capital Act (Canada) requiring a driver to stop for a stop sign.

3 Demerits - Failing to obey a stop sign, signal light or railway crossing signal

I was charged with the same thing several yrs back at Morningside/401 when I was heading to U of T @ Scar... turned right at a light without coming to a complete stop, which is "proceed contrary to signal" aka running a red light. Definitely fight it, you have nothing to lose and a good chance of winning if you hire POINTTS or X-COPPER. As someone mentioned, yes, you will end up paying more, but in the long run you'll save $$ because 3 points on a 19-yr old male's record is all the excuse your insurance company needs to jack your insurance WAY up!!
[/b]
Nah...the cop told me 2 points. And I didn't run any red light but come to a complete stop. Only the sad part is that I had no chance to get back to the left lane.

So there're 3 options:

1. Plea of Guilty - BOO...
2. To plead guilty with an explanation - Pay the ticket and ask for keeping the points off...
3. Trial Option - Fight!

I guess you guys suggest me to do #2 but hopefully I could knock down the fine but most importantly, the points...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm for option 3, if you have the time. Option 2 might get the points taken off. And, as you said, you're only 19, so your insurance company will have a field day with you :( so getting the points off should be the main priority.

The translator idea sounds lame. Did you speak English with the cop? If you did, she'll call your bluff and you'll be VERY screwed if the judge thinks you're trying to pull a fast one.

Do you guys have the class you can take to keep the points off your record?
[/b]
Nope, unfortunatley not. The points are reset after 3 years. I believe you are required to attend a trianing course once you have more than 9 points on your license...I think...thank God I haven't found out yet (knocks on wood...)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm gonna make it clear to you D

write down all the information you can remember
what speed you were going
the weather
any sun in the way
were you wearing shades
what kind the car was next to u
was he speeding?
do u think he knew u were there
anything at all
where was the cop parked, would he able to see if u did it or not from his angle?
was he wearing sunglasses?
are his windows tinted?
were his windows down?
did he mistaken your car?
was there a car behind/front that did the same thing?
was he parked on private property?
how far was the right turning sign? was is visible within 60 feet?
etc

u will have to plead not guilty because the ticket already includes the court fee if u decide to go through it

i dont think you need to hire ex copper or pointts unless u dont want to waste your time
you can achieve as much as them, if u really want a fight u go through a lawyer, they will fight you til death
x copper already know what they will get without even showing up, they won't put up a fight, they ll give u what they tell u

if u wanna know more let me know, i don't feel like re writing what i learned

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The translator idea sounds lame. Did you speak English with the cop? If you did, she'll call your bluff and you'll be VERY screwed if the judge thinks you're trying to pull a fast one.
[/b]
Actually, I did but I just told her the traffic was so crowded that there's noway to keep left, forcing me to go up to the front.

I'm gonna make it clear to you D

write down all the information you can remember

what speed you were going - Having no luck to get back to the left, I went straight up and then stopped at the red light, trying to outrun the other car in order to change lane.

the weather - It was a nice day, 19 degrees celcius.

any sun in the way - Although it's 6:10pm, it's still shiny.

were you wearing shades - Nope

what kind the car was next to u - I don't remember but I lined up with an E36
before the light.

was he speeding? - Like I said, the traffic was busy so no speeding.

do u think he knew u were there anything at all- Basically, everybody knew I was on the right, trying to squeeze back in the traffic but they didn't show the courtesy that ladies and gentlemen should have.

where was the cop parked, would he able to see if u did it or not from his angle? She parked on the driveway of a gas station and she got out of her car and spotted me as her next target when I stopped at the light.

was he wearing sunglasses? - Most of cops do. Yes, she was.

are his windows tinted? - Not sure but it doesn't matter.

were his windows down? - All the way down.

did he mistaken your car? - Noway. My car caught everyone's sight...lol

was there a car behind/front that did the same thing? - Nope. The car in the front turned right and I guess the car behind me was going to turn right too. That's why I had to go up to the light since I was in its way.

was he parked on private property? - Who?

how far was the right turning sign? was is visible within 60 feet? etc - I doubt it'd be visible within 60 feet
but once I saw it, I had no time to react coz the sign is too close to the intersection. All I did was slowing down, signaled but the cars lined up on my left so no lane change as there's a car coming up behind.

u will have to plead not guilty because the ticket already includes the court fee if u decide to go through it

i dont think you need to hire ex copper or pointts unless u dont want to waste your time
you can achieve as much as them, if u really want a fight u go through a lawyer, they will fight you til death
x copper already know what they will get without even showing up, they won't put up a fight, they ll give u what they tell u

if u wanna know more let me know, i don't feel like re writing what i learned
[/b]
More information is up there. I don't mind leaving early from work and go to the court in weekdays. All I have is time.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
loox like police was parked on private property (petro canada)
they need authorization to do so
if they got authorization was it verbal or written
if it's written where's the documenation?
you can also request the notes that the cops took from that day
if she was wearing shades, were they prescribed?
if not why isn't she wearing prescribed shades --> affects her visibility
was she filling gas or actually on duty
what did you tell the officer
what was the officer's response
was there any witnesses?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
loox like police was parked on private property (petro canada)
they need authorization to do so
if they got authorization was it verbal or written
if it's written where's the documenation?
you can also request the notes that the cops took from that day
if she was wearing shades, were they prescribed?
if not why isn't she wearing prescribed shades --> affects her visibility
was she filling gas or actually on duty
what did you tell the officer
what was the officer's response
was there any witnesses?
[/b]
Nope. She didn't park on the driveway of a gas station but the other driveway of a business unit.

I told her the traffic was pretty crowd over there so I had to take off fast to get back on Steels. Then she just shaked her head and got into her car to make notes. Witnesses? I don't think so. They didn't know why she pulled me over for even if they cared.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
16 Participants
blue6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing